The History Thread

maqroll

Speak for yourself buddy, he wouldn't have been able to take the UK.

And wht is that ?

If he had of listened to his generals/advisors he would not have picked on the USSR till he had won in europe. 

He had the best machine gun,88mm anti tank and ack ack gun the best tanks ( before the allies ) 2 jet fighters 1 jet bomber 1 rocket fighter.V1 and V2 rockets etc etc etc.But he did not take full advantage of any of these weapons because he and he alone knew best.

We wouldn't be speaking German anyway as a first language.  He wanted to preserve Britain's culture and just install a puppet government.  Maybe they would have pushed harder to have us learn German in school though, which would have been a good thing.  

Edited by Wainy316

He was a mental case and I believe that he could have won if he used just a little common sence.As for what he had planned for Britain I would not take his word for anything.

Speak for yourself buddy, he wouldn't have been able to take the UK.

And wht is that ?

If he had of listened to his generals/advisors he would not have picked on the USSR till he had won in europe. 

He had the best machine gun,88mm anti tank and ack ack gun the best tanks ( before the allies ) 2 jet fighters 1 jet bomber 1 rocket fighter.V1 and V2 rockets etc etc etc.But he did not take full advantage of any of these weapons because he and he alone knew best.

I think the saying is that the victors rewrite history .. now whilst he may not have been a genius , I don't think he was the idiot history like to portray him as either

in terms of invading the British Isles The Germans had very poor amphibious landing craft, a second rate navy compared to the British Royal Navy  and he would have found it difficult to have brought them across the English Channel  ..

if you look at aircraft In 1939 German produced a total of 8.295 aircraft, the British 7,948, in 1940 the figures were Germany 10,826, the British 15,735, by 1941 the figures were Germany 12,401, Britain 20,091.

so we out gunned them in the skys as well

and that's before the Americans would have turned up right at the final moments to claim victory ;)

possibly he could have used his u-boats to starve us out .. but I don't think they had enough and also revert to my previous answer regarding the Royal navy

the Messerschmitt Me 262 entered service late in the war and by then we were bombing the fuel supplies and bombing the planes before they took off so they had minimal impact in WW 2 itself

possibly in the longer run Germany could have countered some of these .. but they'd have had to watch their backs all the way through anyway as the Soviets would have come wadding in at some point I'd imagine

• Like 1

That is some of the stuff I meant.He was advised to up U Boat production but didnt.The Me 262  first flew in 1943 but he decided that it should be a fighter bomber and not just a fighter so that put production back.He delayed with the He 162 and the Arado jet bomber.He decided to bomb populated areas and leave the aitfields alone when fighter command was nearly on its knees.He wanted Rommel to work wonders with hardley any reinforcements etc etc etc.

I don't really like alternative/'what if' history, but how about this scenario: 

Hitler realises in 1940/41 that he hasn't yet got the wherewithal to invade Britain. So, he forgets about invading Russia, and consolidates what he's got. Develop more and better weaponry (four engine heavy bombers, landing craft, etc.) Stay out of alliances with Japan, as it's obvious they are going to go for the USA (and lose) at some point. 

Then invade the UK, and consolidate again for a couple of years before turning east. Treat the conquered Soviet territories as liberated peoples and get them onside as client nations, rather than treating them like shit. 

He just tried to do too much too soon.

Thankfully. 

This is all good stuff. I'm taking notes because I'm humble enough to listen to other people's opinions and I aim to remain so when I start my plan for world domination.

• Like 4

Germany lost almost 800 U-boats and some 30,000 crewmen  ... A combination of better tactics, new antisubmarine technology and breaking German naval codes had turned the North Atlantic into a submarine graveyard so more u-boats does not equal more success ...

if you take Stalingrad as an example , Germany had taken it  (well 90% of it) , the Russians were defeated ..however Von Paulus ultimately blundered the battle and allowed the Russians time to regroup and re-suppy and then as the battle swung in Russias favour it was Göring that  decided the 6th Army could be supplied by air  .. it couldn't and the battle was lost

i.e 2 crucial decisions , neither made by Hitler  .. arguably Hitlers fault was appointing the wrong man and then listening to Göring

I'm not trying to be a Hitler apologist here , I just think this image of an incompetent lunatic is possibly a case of allied propaganda combined with some element of truth  ... I don't like rewriting of History ,I'd prefer it be told as it was 

This is all good stuff. I'm taking notes because I'm humble enough to listen to other people's opinions and I aim to remain so when I start my plan for world domination.

oh back of the queue you  ... my army of Ninja monkeys are all primed and ready

tell you what you can have France if you keep out my way

Psh, we haven't even started and you're already trying to negotiate with me. Clearly your ninja monkeys aren't as strong as you claim they are.

My understanding is that the Nazis had to go to war when they did because they had to attack Russia when they did - Stalin had done a purge of his army and was regaining strength.

The non-aggression pact with Russia was never going to last, and the lebensraum idea was never going to happen with Russia in the picture.

So, take control of Western Europe (preferably including Britain) and go get those Russians. Do enough amphetamines and it starts to look like a brilliant strategy.

Psh, we haven't even started and you're already trying to negotiate with me. Clearly your ninja monkeys aren't as strong as you claim they are.

or I really dislike France  :)

My understanding is that the Nazis had to go to war when they did because they had to attack Russia when they did - Stalin had done a purge of his army and was regaining strength.

The non-aggression pact with Russia was never going to last, and the lebensraum idea was never going to happen with Russia in the picture.

So, take control of Western Europe (preferably including Britain) and go get those Russians. Do enough amphetamines and it starts to look like a brilliant strategy.

read WW2 behind closed doors (or watch the BBC documentary) pretty much suggests the same, russia was on its knees when hitler invaded, yeah it wasnt a good idea (which part of invading all of europe and killing all the jews was?) problem was hitler and a fair few other germans believed that the russians were a weaker race that would be easily conquerable, then you add what russia had that germany didnt, he didnt want or need all of russia, he wanted the riches, the oil and the industry to fuel his empire, and he came close too

doubt he went hell for leather for invading britain because other than conquering and subduing us what would be the point? he just tried to break us by bombing the shit out of us instead

• Like 1

yeah exactly, stalin also spent 2 years fuming at churchill for not creating a 2nd front in europe, claiming that he knew the invasion in the south of italy and the fighting in northern africa protected our own interests but was absolutely worthless to him, pretty much all we did to help russia was drip feed ships round the arctic circle with supplies on it

the yanks didnt like churchill's plans either, you don't put a boot on from the bottom...

like i said the book is a good read, interesting that the russians and americans didnt quite paint churchill in the same way our history books do

yeah exactly, stalin also spent 2 years fuming at churchill for not creating a 2nd front in europe, claiming that he knew the invasion in the south of italy and the fighting in northern africa protected our own interests but was absolutely worthless to him, pretty much all we did to help russia was drip feed ships round the arctic circle with supplies on it

the yanks didnt like churchill's plans either, you don't put a boot on from the bottom...

like i said the book is a good read, interesting that the russians and americans didnt quite paint churchill in the same way our history books do

do they also point out that Churchill was right  RE the soviet occupation of Europe  ?

Roosevelt was a weak man , Stalin hoodwinked him and Roosevelt unfortunately has a lot of blood on his hands , whatever his good intentions 

Â