The History Thread

maqroll

• 1 month later...

The Cambridge 5

Kim Philby jokes with newsmen at his mother's home during a 1955 press conference after being formally cleared of tipping off Guy Burgess and Donald Maclean that British intelligence was on to them. Philby later resigned from MI6, but agents interrogated him about this again in 1963. As they closed in, he escaped to Russia. © Bettmann/CORBIS"

Kim Philby jokes with newsmen at his mother's home during a 1955 press conference after being formally cleared of tipping off Guy Burgess and Donald Maclean that British intelligence was on to them. Philby later resigned from MI6, but agents interrogated him about this again in 1963. As they closed in, he escaped to Russia. © Bettmann/CORBIS

A womanizer who married four times. A flamboyant gay man with a penchant for drunkenness. A famous art historian knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. It may sound like the lineup for a new HBO miniseries, but these men were real-life spies during World War II and beyond. Along with two fellow Cambridge University graduates, they penetrated British intelligence agencies and turned over secrets to the Soviets.

The Cambridge Five -- Harold "Kim" Philby, Donald Maclean, Guy Burgess, Anthony Blunt and John Cairncross -- were members of the British elite and so ensconced in their communist beliefs they refused payment for their spy work.

All were hired to work in key British intelligence positions and continually alerted Moscow about British and U.S. plans, including efforts to construct an atomic bomb in 1941 and Korean War strategy, causing the deaths of many. Things started unraveling when Americans deciphered a coded Soviet message that implicated Maclean. Philby warned him, and in 1951 Maclean and the flamboyant Burgess promptly defected to Russia -- a move that left the remaining spies under a low-hanging cloud of suspicion.

Philby and Cairncross were investigated by MI6, the British foreign intelligence service, but not charged. Nevertheless, both were forced to resign. Cairncross moved to France while Philby escaped to Russia in 1963. Blunt confessed and was granted immunity to remain in England. He was stripped of his knighthood when Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher publicly revealed his espionage in 1979. Maclean, Philby (who had an affair with Maclean's wife) and Burgess all lived in Moscow until their deaths, nostalgic for England. None of the five were ever charged with any crimes [sources: Boghardt,Barnes].

How Stuff Works

It's hard to see how the Cambridge 5 won't be eclipsed by the Brexit 4. Farage, Banks, Johnson and Cummings.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Xann said:

120934159_10221355415102055_4659812524277710411_n.thumb.jpg.ba685b5da3f56943cb1fa418f1527cf5.jpg

German POW disembarking at Newhaven. 

Coupla good WWII stereotypes there. Fat, red-faced British sergeant. Stylish Luftwaffe officer with one arm and a black leather glove. They may have been sadistic Nazis, but they did have Hugo Boss uniforms. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how Covid will be written about in years to come ? 

WIth Brexit and Covid the UK's version of events could still be written on the sheets of toilet rolls,  the only thing in abundance now.  Depends on how the economic,  community and health collapse goes I suppose.  

In a candle lit hanger near Rugby you too could be watching "Words and pictures" on video real soon.

Here is a question I have always wondered about.

England had a pact with Poland that if they got attacked England would come on their side.The thing is that when Germany attacked Poland,the Russians attacked Poland also but we only declared war on Germany ?!

26 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Here is a question I have always wondered about.

England had a pact with Poland that if they got attacked England would come on their side.The thing is that when Germany attacked Poland,the Russians attacked Poland also but we only declared war on Germany ?!

Simply, if I recall it was pick your enemies. We couldn’t defeat 2 foes, and I think Germany was the easier target to go to war with. I think this was the reason but will bow to more learned authorities. @mjmooney? It 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Simply, if I recall it was pick your enemies. We couldn’t defeat 2 foes, and I think Germany was the easier target to go to war with. I think this was the reason but will bow to more learned authorities. @mjmooney? It 

The French.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

TBH I'd never thought about it, but it's a very good question. I suspect you're right about the reason, plus the fact that nobody really believed in the temporary buddying up of Hitler and Stalin. They were so ideologically opposed there was a good chance they would soon be fighting each other - and so it proved. 

Dipolmatically speaking, however, we were probably out of order. 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Go on...

Genuinely, some bright spark with a circus thought it would be a fine bit of PR to put a baby elephant into one of the cars and send him up and down the tracks.

The elephant got a bit nervous and managed to fall out of the car into the river - luckily suffering only minor injuries.

Now that, I would like to have seen!

Also the bloke who invented it seems to have had something to do with the first petrol engine and sugar cubes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â