The History Thread

maqroll

I heard this story a while ago, I dare say some will have heard it before, but I’ve just been reminded of it. When a circus lion was loose in Birmingham.

Reaching Birmingham, Bostock and his team were preparing for a show when one of his lions jumped over its keeper, pushed through a rip in the circus tent, and prowled off towards Birmingham city centre "as free and untrammelled as when in his native wilds".

According to Bostock's account of it it his book The Training of Wild Animals , the lion came across one of the openings to the sewerage system and "down he sprang, looking up at the crowd of people and roaring at the top of his voice. As he made his way through the sewers, he stopped at every man-hole he came to, and there sent up a succession of roars, driving some people nearly wild with terror."

Large crowds had gathered, eager to see the menagerie. Understandably, with a lion on the loose, they started to panic.

So Bostock came up with a plan.

Rather than try to quell the volatile crowd, he put a second lion in a cloth-covered cage and sneaked it out on the back of a lorry.

He then returned, blowing his horn to attract attention, with the lion clearly visible.

In his own words, "everything went off well".

People fell for the ruse and he was cheered as a hero. "A shout went up from the crowd 'They've got him! They've got him! They've got the lion!'"

The full story is in the link, but this segment always makes me smile. 

On the afternoon of the following day, the chief of police of Birmingham visited the menagerie and congratulated Bostock on his "marvellous pluck and daring".

Bostock came clean.

“I shall never forget that man's face when he realized that the lion was still in the sewer, it was a wonderful study for any mind-reader," he reflected.

"At first he was inclined to blame me but when I showed him I had probably stopped a panic, and that my own liabilities in the matter were pretty grave possibilities to face, he sympathized with me, and added that any help he could give me, I might have.”

Link

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been pondering what an American version of The Crown might look like. It would have to be centered on the Kennedys, I guess, starting with Honey Fitz (JFK's grandfather and Boston mayor), then Joe Kennedy and the sons, all the death and scandals and drama up through JFK Jr.

The Crown was cool because it featured big moments in modern British history beyond the royal family. Big American moments to tie in to the narrative would have to be, perhaps:

The end of Prohibition

The Lindbergh kidnapping

Pearl Harbor

McCarthyism

Cuba missile crisis

60's political assassinations

Moon landing

Chapaquidick

Watergate

Reagan assassination attempt

LA riots

JFK Jr plane crash

History buffs- am I missing any major touchstones?

• Like 2

The introduction of various 3 letter things are quite important I think as well.

FBI CIA,  + the ones that brought down Gotti and all them.  In terms of the most free country in the world,  seem to need a lot of agencies.

+ Maybe drug tracking and how that has affected the US over the last 50 years. (Cartels + internal dependency on prescribed meds.)

• Like 2

Â