The History Thread

maqroll

On 22/10/2020 at 19:12, OutByEaster? said:

I believe so, fully working and in use - the town is in a valley and along a river and it's the only way they could do it. 

Missed this at the time, but the Wuppertal train line is also a big part of the German film 'The Princess and The Warrior', which was Tom Tykwer and Franke Potente's follow-up to 'Run Lola Run'. The director is from Wuppertal, so he took the opportunity to set the story there and a lot of scenes happen either on the train or with the line overhead. Decent movie as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

I've been pondering what an American version of The Crown might look like. It would have to be centered on the Kennedys, I guess, starting with Honey Fitz (JFK's grandfather and Boston mayor), then Joe Kennedy and the sons, all the death and scandals and drama up through JFK Jr.

The Crown was cool because it featured big moments in modern British history beyond the royal family. Big American moments to tie in to the narrative would have to be, perhaps:

The end of Prohibition

The Lindbergh kidnapping

Pearl Harbor

McCarthyism

Cuba missile crisis

60's political assassinations

Moon landing

Chapaquidick

Watergate

Reagan assassination attempt

LA riots

JFK Jr plane crash

History buffs- am I missing any major touchstones?

The Bush family.

A proper coup plot, Nazi sympathizing, CIA, etc., etc. No chance you'd get a cent of funding to make this though.

23 minutes ago, villakram said:

The Bush family.

A proper coup plot, Nazi sympathizing, CIA, etc., etc. No chance you'd get a cent of funding to make this though.

Fairly sure that one's been debunked by noted historians

56 minutes ago, bickster said:

Fairly sure that one's been debunked by noted historians

Well the money flows say otherwise (that was my intention with that particular description). That doesn't necessarily mean that they were politically friendly, but a TV show with Nazi's is always better, e.g., ask Indy!

21 minutes ago, villakram said:

Well the money flows say otherwise (that was my intention with that particular description). That doesn't necessarily mean that they were politically friendly, but a TV show with Nazi's is always better, e.g., ask Indy!

Might as well chuck Stalin into the mix

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Don't let that get in the way of a decent loony conspiracy theory. 

It is not looney. The financing of Nazi Germany is well documented, and not at all pretty when viewed in retrospect. Given the well known business plot in the US, then some liberty can be easily taken to make good TV. The Kennedy's are cheap and comparatively brief titillation in comparison to the Bush clan.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Shame about the picture quality, but I thought this was quite good. Essentially, Wired magazine did an article in 1997 in which they predicted (very much in the spirit of the time) that the next 25 years would be a 'long boom', a period of peace, prosperity, and amazing human advancements. However, they also ran a sidebar, in which they outlined 10 possible risks that might prevent this golden age. Here it is:

rW0It9k.jpeg

EDIT: I can't find the article sidebar online, but you can read the positive article on the 'long boom' here: https://www.wired.com/1997/07/longboom/

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

Â