Southampton

NurembergVillan

happy that Davis is getting game time there, still feel we should have kept him a bit longer

i dont think he was ever going to do anything here. moving on was the best for all involved

maybe but we have had a lot worse midfielders at club since he left and think its sad that Gardner, Davis, Whittingham and Cahill are playing Premier League football this season when we could probably do with all 4 in our squad

happy that Davis is getting game time there, still feel we should have kept him a bit longer

i dont think he was ever going to do anything here. moving on was the best for all involved

maybe but we have had a lot worse midfielders at club since he left and think its sad that Gardner, Davis, Whittingham and Cahill are playing Premier League football this season when we could probably do with all 4 in our squad

No, no, maybe and yes

Plenty of Sunderland fans give Gardner stick, he still frequently plays as an RB aswell. Suppose he does score some goals which none of our midfielders do much. Davis is nothing special, Whitingham has done well for himself at Cardiff but yet to show he can be as influential at Cardiff and Cahill is an obvious no brainer.

• 3 weeks later...

"Football here is so physical, but it doesn't have the technique and quality that is has in Spain. I'm already thinking about moving back to Argentina. I want to play for Boca, that's my dream."

surprised these quotes from Osvaldo last week didnt get much headlines :D

Whittingham is a legend at Cardiff, scores goals, 65 in 277 league games for Cardiff, brilliant at set pieces and can pick a pass. No we couldn't have done with the type of player have been sadly lacking for years.

Edited by PaulC

Whittingham is a legend at Cardiff, scores goals, 65 in 277 league games for Cardiff, brilliant at set pieces and can pick a pass. No we couldn't have done with the type of player have been sadly lacking for years.

He's not a bad player but I think if you but Delph or Westwood or even El Ahmadi in the championship they'd look really good.

This season's "surprise package for half a season"

Or maybe a full season. Then we'll all talk about how we should be trying to do things 'the Southampton way'. We'll commend them on how their club is run and what a fantastic job their manager is doing.

This is until they totally bomb next season and struggle against relegation. Then we'll have a thread in which we laugh at them, and blame their board for spending too frivolously for such a small club, and for appointing a totally over rated manager. The pundits will agree with us and we'll all nod, smile, laugh and pretend this season never happened.

• Like 2

Doing things the Southampton way is just spend a bloody fortune on players. It's not rocket surgery.

While obviously there is a correlation between money spent and success achieved I wouldnt say it is th sole reason for their success. Significant amounts of money spent poorly and badly managed results in QPR-like problems whereas I think southampton have signed players on ability as well as reputation and had a clear ambiton as to where they were headed. Southampton have also looked into maintaining their tradition of bringing through youth players as evidenced by shaw and lallana starting every week and Ward-Prowse and chambers on the verge of breaking into the first team.

Doing things the Southampton way is just spend a bloody fortune on players. It's not rocket surgery.

While obviously there is a correlation between money spent and success achieved I wouldnt say it is th sole reason for their success. Significant amounts of money spent poorly and badly managed results in QPR-like problems whereas I think southampton have signed players on ability as well as reputation and had a clear ambiton as to where they were headed. Southampton have also looked into maintaining their tradition of bringing through youth players as evidenced by shaw and lallana starting every week and Ward-Prowse and chambers on the verge of breaking into the first team.

Yes they spent well. That's obviously a pre-requisite and like most teams they'll have elements they didn't buy (even Citeh have Richards) but they still bought a huge amount and bought expensively.

Â