Arsenal

Ghost

If the rules say it's only a red when the ball is heading towards the goal, what you gonna do? But if the Referee had sent Oxlade off, I don't think the FA would have rescinded the red because it turns out it was going wide.

But that's exactly what they've done...?

:huh:

I mean if Oxlade had been sent off and there was no question this week of mistaken identities and so the incident wouldn't be under so much scrutiny then I don't think the red card would have been rescinded.

No it definitely wouldn't have been. And rightly so, Oxlaide was clearly trying to prevent a goal and the referee was well within his rights to send him off. For a red card to be rescinded the sending off has to have been the completely wrong decision, not just a bit iffy due to interpretation of the law. If the FA had decided Marriner was wrong to send the (right) player off for that then referees would constantly have their decisions changed retrospectiviely by the suits at the FA.

On a side note, Arsenal were fortunate not to have Sczcesny sent off on the opening day for pulling Gabby down and conceding a penalty. The reason given then was that as Gabby was not running directly at goal he was not denying him an obvious goalscoring opportunity but that is bollocks, Gabby would have easily got to the ball and put it in had he not been upended. 

It's all about interpretation.

It was not a red card by the current laws of the game. 

You guys can think what you want but, according to the rule book ,the ref made a mistake giving a red and Oxlaide would have also had the suspension overturned if the ref had shown him the card. 

Deliberate hand ball is a yellow card offence, you can't be shown a red card for a hand ball.

Illegally denying a goal is a red card offence but no one did that so there should not have been any red card shown.

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the rules because of all this. The current system is a bit like saying if you swing a punch at someone it's not a red card unless it connects.

Edited by The_Rev

It was not a red card by the current laws of the game. 

You guys can think what you want but, according to the rule book ,the ref made a mistake giving a red and Oxlaide would have also had the suspension overturned if the ref had shown him the card. 

Deliberate hand ball is a yellow card offence, you can't be shown a red card for a hand ball.

Illegally denying a goal is a red card offence but no one did that so there should not have been any red card shown.

I totally disagree.

There is no way Arsenal would have appealed had Ox been sent off. Not a chance. And for the card to be overturned there must first be an appeal from the affected club. 

If the rules say it's only a red when the ball is heading towards the goal, what you gonna do? But if the Referee had sent Oxlade off, I don't think the FA would have rescinded the red because it turns out it was going wide.

But that's exactly what they've done...?

:huh:

I mean if Oxlade had been sent off and there was no question this week of mistaken identities and so the incident wouldn't be under so much scrutiny then I don't think the red card would have been rescinded.

Had Arsenal appealed then I think it would have. Because those are the rules.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they were always a bit short of being title contenders but the injuries to Walcott and Ramsey in particular have really cost them. Ramsey was arguably the player of Premier League before his injury. Everton have not had European football to contend with and have been luckier with injuries. 

Giroud is pretty awful. His record against top 7 opponents is practically non-existent. It was like 1 in 14.

13 league goals this season isn't bad. I think he's a good player but had to carry the Arsenal attack all season.

They have completely lost momentum, Everton have it in abundance. Can see Arsenal drawing at home to West Ham and away to Hull, they'll win the other 3. Not sure if 11 more points will be enough for 4th.

What's the Syria thing about? They did have a Libyan player in the youth team years back.

Â