Arsenal

Ghost

Did ox know it was going wide? Of course not or he wouldn't have done it, the fact is that he knew he was cheating, he knew he was trying to deny a goal, it was a red every day of the week.

That's not how it works.

The rule doesn't say "intent to deny a goal scoring opportunity."

No. It says

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity

by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within

his own penalty area)

Oxlade Chamberlain did what he did because he thought the ball was going in. So in his mind he was denying the opposing team a goal
It was deliberate, but it wasn't denying them a goal because the ball was going wide. It doesn't matter that he didn't know that or what he thought. It's not a red.

I can understand why the ref gave a red, because it's tough to tell in real time.

Makes no sense.

The ref cannot judge the path of the ball, what if a shot has a curl before it is hand-balled? So at the time of the incident the ball is going three yards out, but if that ball was allowed to continue it would have curled in the corner. Then what?

It didnt though did it

Did ox know it was going wide? Of course not or he wouldn't have done it, the fact is that he knew he was cheating, he knew he was trying to deny a goal, it was a red every day of the week.

That's not how it works.

No. It says

his own penalty area)

Oxlade Chamberlain did what he did because he thought the ball was going in. So in his mind he was denying the opposing team a goal
It was deliberate, but it wasn't denying them a goal because the ball was going wide. It doesn't matter that he didn't know that or what he thought. It's not a red.

I can understand why the ref gave a red, because it's tough to tell in real time.

All this does is encourage cheating, ungentlemanly conduct and a lack of sporting etiquette. 

It wouldn't have curled in, by the logic a handball anywhere on the field is denying a goal scoring opportunity because a gust of wind could've taken the ball into the net.

I am not talking about this particular shot, obviously, I am talking in general for such decisions.

Your example makes no sense either, as you probably knew when you wrote it, because we are talking about clear shots with one single intention of going for goal.

This shot didn't go in the goal and it wasn't going there, but like I asker earlier, what about shots that are stopped intentionally right after leaving the boot of the striker? The referee knows the striker tries to score, the defender handballs on purpose to hinder the obvious goal and there is no goalkeeper to save it. The shot, stopped after just a few yards, it would sometimes be impossible to know if that shot was going in the middle of the goal or one inch outside the post. And what about a lob? What if a defender reaches his hand up to stop it? Should a forensic analysis take place to determine if the ball would have gone over the defender, hit the ground and then maybe bounce over the bar? My point is; trying to stop a shot inside the area with your hand is a penalty and a red card every day of the week, because the defender is clearly trying to stop a shot he thinks is going in the net. Where the ball would eventually end up is a bit pointless in my honest and humble opinion. It would be nice to see a referee comment on the issue, because I don't know the answer 100%.

That's not how it works.

No. It says

his own penalty area)

Yes thats right, it doesn't matter what was in Oxlade Chamberlain's mind, the fact that it wasn't denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring chance is what matters. The ref got it wrong and even if he had of sent the right man off the FA would have still done rescinded the red card

Absolutely nonsense, that red would not have been rescinded had it not been for the publicity of the mistaken identity. It was a red

That's not how it works.

No. It says

his own penalty area)

Yes thats right, it doesn't matter what was in Oxlade Chamberlain's mind, the fact that it wasn't denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring chance is what matters. The ref got it wrong and even if he had of sent the right man off the FA would have still done rescinded the red card

Absolutely nonsense, that red would not have been rescinded had it not been for the publicity of the mistaken identity. It was a red

That's not how it works.

No. It says

his own penalty area)

All this does is encourage cheating, ungentlemanly conduct and a lack of sporting etiquette.

Seriously? It's not like guys are going to intentionally handball shots going wide and give up a penalty all the time if you don't give a red

That's not how it works.

No. It says

his own penalty area)

Seriously? It's not like guys are going to intentionally handball shots going wide and give up a penalty all the time if you don't give a red

Perhaps not, but Oxlade was trying to cheat the referee in the first place - i.e. act as if he was attempting to head the ball and now because, after many replays from many angles they have deemed it not worthy of a red card and three game ban simply because, by sheer luck, the ball happened to be going wide. Oxlade had no idea it was going wide, he thought it was going in the net and that's why he tried to stop the ball going in - that is cheating and should always deserve a red. (In my opinion)

Chamberlain's red should not have been rescinded, he was trying to deny a goal scoring opportunity with the use of his hand and whilst it was going wide he was hand balling it with the intention of stopping a goal being scored.

Chamberlain's red should not have been rescinded, he was trying to deny a goal scoring opportunity with the use of his hand and whilst it was going wide he was hand balling it with the intention of stopping a goal being scored.

Once again, the rule doesn't mention intent.

If the rules say it's only a red when the ball is heading towards the goal, what you gonna do? But if the Referee had sent Oxlade off, I don't think the FA would have rescinded the red because it turns out it was going wide.

Yeah but he didn't.

If Rooney goes through on goal on Saturday and Baker TRIES to hack him down, being the last man, but misses the tackle and Rooney's shot is saved, Baker wouldn't be sent off because he tried to foul him.

Or if Baker THINKS he's the last man and hacks Rooney down anyway, but turns out Vlaar was covering, Baker wouldn't get sent off because he THOUGHT he was the last man.

The FA are right, in this instance

If the rules say it's only a red when the ball is heading towards the goal, what you gonna do? But if the Referee had sent Oxlade off, I don't think the FA would have rescinded the red because it turns out it was going wide.

But that's exactly what they've done...?

:huh:

Edited by Stevo985

the red card for me has glossed over the big talking point and that is Wenger made a balls of his tactics. Podolski and GIroud probably had about 10 touches between them and both aren't good enough for Arsenal level. Cazorla was also dreadful.

Ozil seems to be getting al ot of heat from the press and im sure if he had a game like them 3 he would have been slaughtered

I think Giroud is a good player but before his "affair" he had a much better work rate and covered a lot more ground but since coming back into the team he has looked like he doesn't care. think he has lost faith in Wenger trust and maybe vice versa

very much this

ox should have a 1 match ban, think if the ref had got the decision right in the 1st place then the ban would be upheld, but instead the FA have swept the mess under the carpet, no one getting a ban is an easy way out for them

I don't see why people think that?

The ball wasn't going in, it wasn't denying a goal scoring opportunity. Intent isn't in the rules for that.

A deliberate handball is a yellow.

A deliberate handball that denies a goalscoring opportunity is a red card.

This was the former.

If the FA had upheld the ban, then they'd have been wrong.

Edited by Stevo985

But that's exactly what they've done...?

:huh:

I mean if Oxlade had been sent off and there was no question this week of mistaken identities and so the incident wouldn't be under so much scrutiny then I don't think the red card would have been rescinded.

• Like 1

Â