Benjamin Siegrist

AndyBM

Apoligises if there is already a post dedicated to Benji, i have checked and gone through a years posts and couldnt find one :-)

anyways, i was hoping to maybe see more of him this season maybe in the cup games, but seeing as weve signed steer whos took second place in the keeping order and Benji hasnt been given a first team squad number, im guessing he wont be featuring yet this season?

which leads me onto the question, does anyone know anymore about him? age, height, reserve progression etc?

thanks

• Like 1

He should be 20-21 now and was already quite tall several years ago when we picked him up, 6'4"-6'5", so he may be a bit taller now. He has seemed to drop off the map a little for whatever reason. Think he's kinda stuck in limbo, as some of our other young keepers went out on loan while he was being tipped for first team's 3rd choice, but Andy Marshall was brought in which scuppered that and now Steer. I would imagine Jed will get most of the reserve games since Given is essentially out of the picture, but Siegrist is possibly too old for the youth sides (?), so maybe that 3rd spot will finally be open to him.

That says 1,94 and 1 in = 2.54 cm, 194/2.54 comes out just shy of 76.4 inches, which would be 6' 4.4". So, nearly halfway between 6'4" and 6'5". The OS mentions 6'4" at the bottom of his bio, though the OS STILL says Weimann is 6'2", so who really knows!

I was told by a fan at the Newport game that Benji has fallen out of favour and will be on his way out. Speaking of which, Watkins had a dreadful game at Newport, really really poor. Might be down to playing against a senior side, I don't know. How old is he?

He's been with us a few years now hasn't he? Seems highly rated for Swiss as he made their Olympic squad last year.

You'd think we'd loaned him out just to see how he does as I don't think we've done that with him.

Who's our number 3 keeper currently, him or Given?

its common sense that height plays a major factor in goalkeeping ability, and at 6ft 4, its nothing to complain about, seeing as i havnt the opportunity to see him play, i hope hes not a shakey and unable to command the defense?

a loan my be bet for him, but id really like to see him get a chance here, he is afterall an international already :-)

He's been with us a few years now hasn't he? Seems highly rated for Swiss as he made their Olympic squad last year.

You'd think we'd loaned him out just to see how he does as I don't think we've done that with him.

I thought Shay had gone to Doncaster on loan?

What about Jed Steer?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still a bit miffed why he wasn't made our number two. I don't see how Steer is a step-up on him really. Both seem like promising young keepers but at least Siegrist was already here.

Edited by Isa

• 2 years later...

The 23 year old shot stopper joins The Moors following an injury to first choice keeper Danny Lewis on Saturday in the game away at Chorley.

Siegrist is a highly rated young goalkeeper who joined Aston Villa in 2009 when he was 16 years of age and helped the Youth Team reach the 2009-10 F.A. Youth Cup Final before losing 3-2 on aggregate to Chelsea. He was born in Switzerland and has represented his national team from Under 17’s to Under 21’s including being awarded the Golden Glove at the Under 17’s World Cup and was named in the 2012 Switzerland Olympic Squad. 

On the signing, Marcus Bignot said, “Obviously the injury to Danny Lewis is not ideal however to be able to bring in such a well respected and talented replacement is fantastic for the Club. A big thank you to Tommy Mooney and Andy Marshall for helping make all this achievable. For The Moors this is a big step in the loan market, we have been in talks with Clubs about some top end Academy Goalkeepers from Premiership  and League Clubs and this shows where the Club has come in being able to attract such a talented individual.”

Benjamin will be in action for The Moors on Saturday when the Solihull side take on Worcester City in the, all important, F.A. Cup 3rd round qualifier. 
Bignot added, “What a game for Benjamin to start his Solihull career. We all know how important F.A. Cup matches are to Clubs at this level and it should be an exciting game for the spectators. With it being Non-League Day it would be good to see Aston Villa fans come down and support Benjamin and The Moors.”

Â