Benjamin Siegrist

AndyBM

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if this lad is going to have a future at the club? hes now 23 yrs old and hasn't even had a sniff of first team action, hows he doing at Solihull Moors? you would think at 6ft 5 he'd be considered ahead of Bunn or Steer.

6 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

Does anyone know if this lad is going to have a future at the club? hes now 23 yrs old and hasn't even had a sniff of first team action, hows he doing at Solihull Moors? you would think at 6ft 5 he'd be considered ahead of Bunn or Steer.

No chance, he was never that good in my opinion

On 11 October 2015 at 11:01, VillaChris said:

Really surprised he hasn't progressed much here...as in the article he has a really good pedigree playing for numerous Swiss national teams and making their Olympic squad in 2012.

As an aside, Tommy Mooney works for us now?!

His son Kelsey mooney is in the academy

• 4 months later...

Could he (finally) be the answer to our goalkeeping problem in the Chumpionship?

Aston Villa have a potential gem out on loan, but we want to keep him!

This young man had an "outstanding" debut at the weekend

Benjamin Siegrist of Aston Villa in action
Benjamin Siegrist of Aston Villa in action

Aston Villa loanee Benjamin Siegrist finally made his Wycombe debut on Saturday - and his performance was that impressive that boss Gareth Ainsworth is eyeing a permanent deal in the summer.

The Swiss stopper hasn’t played a game in claret and blue yet - he's effectively fourth choice keeper at B6 behind Brad Guzan, Jed Steer and Mark Bunn.

Though he was on the losing side as Accrington ran out 1-0 winners, Chairboys boss Ainsworth is excited by the potential Siegrist showed.

He said: "I think he was outstanding and we have got a potential gem in Benjamin Siegrist now.

"It is all about this club and whether we can get players like that. I will be working hard in the summer [to do that].

"Benji has been here for seven or eight weeks and hasn’t played a game.

"Saturday was a chance to look at a keeper who I think is good enough to play in League Two and I was very impressed with what I saw."

What about Siegrist himself? The 24-year-old appears to be open to a permanent move.

Benjamin Siegrist
Benjamin Siegrist

At his age, the U21 international recognises his need for regular game time.

“That was the plan [to stay beyond his initial loan] and the manager brought me in to look at me in training, so I am thankful for the opportunity,” Siegrist said.

“As far as my career goes, I am definitely looking to improve and I need to play. Like I say Wycombe have given me the opportunity and I am really thankful for that.”

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'good enough to play in League Two'

Says it all really. 

It doesn't though.  That quote is in the context of a League Two manager saying he's good enough to start for them.  Which doesn't rule him out of being good enough to play higher aswell.  It doesn't rule it in either, but that's why I posed the question.  He has to be better than Guzan, not that that's a qualifier either :P

He's just coming back from a massive leg break, has never played a game higher than League 2, isn't involved in the Swiss set up, and not all that long ago he was on loan at a Conference North side. 

I doubt he's up to much at all. 

But better than Guzan, sure, no arguments there :trollface:

• Like 2

We also bought in that young GK last summer under Sherwood, so it is possible that he is even behind him now as well. I guess there will be a parting of ways this summer between Villa and Siegrist, which is a shame as I remember hearing positive things about the lad when he first joined the club. GK is an extremely tough position to make your break through in though, as chances are even more limited in that position than any of the outfield positions. So dropping down a few divisions doesn't necessarily mean he is finished at the top level, but probably best for now if he wants to progress his career.

villa do this stupid thing were, if a youth player is doing well, or has done well on loan, and another club is interested, then the club lets them go for peanuts, instead what the club should be doing is squeezing every last pound out of the buying club.

as for siegrist, think he will be fine in the championship, id like to see him back here, its clear guzan is shot and bunn is crap.

12 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

villa do this stupid thing were, if a youth player is doing well, or has done well on loan, and another club is interested, then the club lets them go for peanuts, instead what the club should be doing is squeezing every last pound out of the buying club.

as for siegrist, think he will be fine in the championship, id like to see him back here, its clear guzan is shot and bunn is crap.

You can't squeeze pounds out of league two clubs unfortunately.

30 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

He's played one game. 

Â