Manchester United

BOF

Depends how their fans define fine 

In the context of Liverpool and City having record breaking seasons and smashing everyone and utds fans sitting there thinking "that should be us" then they're way off, fortunately for them the gap this year will significantly decrease and they will be what I consider fine 

Ole still makes some baffling decisions though, seems like he's fortunate to have good players that can paper over cracks, Fernandes in particular 

They have massive defence and midfield issues though

15 hours ago, One For The Road said:

How on earth are we all of a sudden not even in striking distance of Man United? 

If we won our game in hand, we would still be behind them. 

If they won their own game in hand, they'd be 2nd. Quite a turnaround.

They've not lost a game since end of October.

Won 5 of their last 6 league games.

Huge disappointment for them going out of CL but they've actually been doing alright in the league for quite a while now and have more winnable fixtures in next 3-4 weeks.

Edited by VillaChris

13 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

We have two games in hand, if we win both we'd have 25 points. That puts us top 4 and possibly 2nd depending on goal difference and Man City!/United results. 

My point was that we are 4 points behind Man United all of a sudden, with just one game in hand. After being so about points above them at one stage.

Edited by One For The Road

6 hours ago, One For The Road said:

My point was that we are 4 points behind Man United all of a sudden, with just one game in hand. After being so about 8 points above them at one stage.

Okay, bit thrown by you saying 'not even in striking distance' when we're 4 points behind with a game in hand.

Agree they've had a good run of form and we've had a few bad (home) games. 

21 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Okay, bit thrown by you saying 'not even in striking distance' when we're 4 points behind with a game in hand.

Why has that thrown you? If you are 4 points behind a team with a game hand then you are, categorically, not within striking distance.

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Why has that thrown you? If you are 4 points behind a team with a game hand then you are, categorically, not within striking distance.

You win the game in hand and you're 1 point behind. I don't consider 1 point to be a big difference. 

Each to their own though bud. 

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

You win the game in hand and you're 1 point behind. I don't consider 1 point to be a big difference. 

Each to their own though bud. 

It's not an ambiguous situation though.

Striking distance literally means that you can strike/hit/reach them with that one win. To be in within striking distance with one game in hand, they would have to be within 3 points of us. 

They may well be by the end of this gameweek but, currently, they aren't.

• Like 1

Just now, One For The Road said:

It's not an ambiguous situation though.

Striking distance literally means that you can strike/hit/reach them with that one win. To be in within striking distance with one game in hand, they would have to be within 3 points of us. 

They may well be by the end of this gameweek but, currently, they aren't.

The definition of striking distance is something which can be easily achieved or is almost in reach. There is no requirement for it to be within one game and one point over the rest of the season is achievable, as Utd have caught us up as you've said. 

I said I agree with your point they've had a good bit of form whilst ours has slipped a bit, it was just the way you phrased it which we disagree on. 

There's better things to be talking about so let's move on and stop debating over the definition of a word/phrase. 

Have a good weekend. 

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The definition of striking distance is something which can be easily achieved or is almost in reach. There is no requirement for it to be within one game and one point over the rest of the season is achievable, as Utd have caught us up as you've said. 

I said I agree with your point they've had a good bit of form whilst ours has slipped a bit, it was just the way you phrased it which we disagree on. 

There's better things to be talking about so let's move on and stop debating over the definition of a word/phrase. 

Have a good weekend. 

I agree with the fact we should move on but if something is in striking distance it literally means it can be struck, not that you can just get near it.

Anyway, lets hope that by the end of this weekend, we have gained on them, as I'd love to be above them when we play the in a couple of weeks. 

On 09/12/2020 at 11:45, villalad21 said:

They ain't winning the league buddy.

Probably ain't winning anything. Not until they get in a proper manager

The tactics yesterday was a prime example in why they won't win anything under the current setup.

Yest now say they are in the title race 

Edited by Zatman

Liverpool will win the league by 10 + points.

Away form will start balancing out for Man. United once they play likes of Man. City, Spurs, Chelsea etc who've all got points at OT so far. Perhaps Arsenal aswell if they've got a new manager by then.

It's easy to forget Man. United did finish 3rd last year despite showing similar form to Arsenal this time 12 months back (they'd just lost 2-0 at Watford).

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yest now say they are in the title race 

You'd be silly to write them off completely. Look how they're doing against the greatest team in the history of all football.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â