Manchester United

BOF

Haha!

"Tell you what Scholesy, you find the £250 million it would take and we'll sign them"

“What do they need? Five players. Five proper players who can hit the ground running and turn round a situation that looks serious.”

Scholes listed his quintet: Xabi Alonso, Sami Khedira, Raphael Varane, Angel Di Maria and Mats Hummels.

With four of those currently at Real Madrid, it would certainly be a rather large cheque for the current European champions.

An unlikely prospect too but, according to Scholes, these are the sort of players United desperately need.

Link

Scholes talks sense. These are the world class players they need. Let's just consider the CD. Varane and Hummels are superb. Man Utd have been able to sign (who?) Rojos. 

Man Utd have too many clowns and nearly-men and their plastic fans are melting away.

“What do they need? Five players. Five proper players who can hit the ground running and turn round a situation that looks serious.”

Scholes listed his quintet: Xabi Alonso, Sami Khedira, Raphael Varane, Angel Di Maria and Mats Hummels.

With four of those currently at Real Madrid, it would certainly be a rather large cheque for the current European champions.

An unlikely prospect too but, according to Scholes, these are the sort of players United desperately need.

Link

Scholes talks sense. These are the world class players they need. Let's just consider the CD. Varane and Hummels are superb. Man Utd have been able to sign (who?) Rojos. 

Man Utd have too many clowns and nearly-men and their plastic fans are melting away.

It's just like saying Villa need 5 world class players, 4 of which are from Real Madrid and suddenly we would be good again. Hardly insightful.

• Like 1

Link

Yeah I think you've missed the point.

No body is saying he's not right. Just that it's a totally unrealistic list.

It's like Laursen piping up and telling us all Villa need to to improve is sign Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Suarez and Heskey

Yeah I think you've missed the point.

No body is saying he's not right. Just that it's a totally unrealistic list.

It's like Laursen piping up and telling us all Villa need to to improve is sign Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Suarez and Heskey

Why Bale?

• Like 1

Why is it unrealistic?

Because Man Utd don't have the money or because Real Madrid won't sell? If Man Utd are the "biggest club in world football" then the Paul Scholes list would just be for starters. They have to spend some of that £750 million kit deal on a better CD than Flojo. If the transfer fee for Varene was spend £75 million, I'd do it.

Why is it unrealistic?

Because Man Utd don't have the money or because Real Madrid won't sell? If Man Utd are the "biggest club in world football" then the Paul Scholes list would just be for starters. They have to spend some of that £750 million kit deal on a better CD than Flojo. If the transfer fee for Varene was spend £75 million, I'd do it.

Because these players would have options, and Man United is not the best one.

Man United are no longer the biggest club in the world and because they are not in the champions league players like Bale are unatainable.

There not in the champions league so the world class players who could get them into the CL will not move there. Oh the irony

A player like Hummels could get guaranteed first team football and probable team captaincy on an astronomical wage and only miss out on Champions League for one year if he helps lead Man Utd into the top four.

You start with an epic central defender and build forwards. It should not be too hard to convince a 25-year-old superstar with his best years ahead of him this football club doesn't have the money to support an ambitious rebuild. 

Hummels should be the keystone and he's not yet at a Real Madrid or Barcelona so Man Utd should act now. Offer him £250,000 a week and offer Dortmund £100 million.

Edit for PieFacE: a few months ago I was saying this, however I my outlook improved after Van Gaal took over, and on consideration of some of their upcoming youth like Wilson and Januzaj - however, return to top four was always on condition they sorted out the defence which Rojos surely doesn't do.

Edited by Con

I swear only a few months ago Con was saying that Manchester United couldn't sign world class players and that players of Cleverly's standard was now their level :lol:

I remember con saying it would take them many years to get back into the top 4. 

A player like Hummels could get guaranteed first team football and probable team captaincy on an astronomical wage and only miss out on Champions League for one year if he helps lead Man Utd into the top four.

Do you think Hummels could become the best German CD in Premier League history?

• Like 1

Do you think Hummels could become the best German CD in Premier League history?

He's be up there with the Brazilian Alex, possibly better. Would be good enough to get Man Utd into the top four. That is why you pay the £100 million impossible-to-turn-down transfer fee and £70 million to Hummels for a 50-year-contract. Man Utd have the money to finance a deal like this. What's stopping them? Once they have Hummels they can build because it will be a lot easier to convince other world class players on Scholes's list, like Khedira, to skip a year of Champions League football.

Â