VillaGoMarching

Yeah he's been a big disappointment.  They scored more goals per game last season with what most regarded as a poor strike force than they're scoring this season.  Granted, they've changed their system and are now taking fewer shots per game, but when you spend £26m on a striker and not only that, a striker who will play every game and be your only striker on the pitch, he doesn't have the luxury of a 'settling in' period.  You spend the money because he is expected to hit the ground running.  The difference between Lamela's £30m and Soldado's £26m is that with the Argentine you are buying potential and he's allowed to adapt.  With Soldado you're supposedly buying the finished article that is supposed to slot straight into the side.

EDIT : Fixed Soldado's price from 20 to 26.

Nothing is ever as simple as football fans make it out to be, but i'm fairly sure they could have atleast tempted Lambert's hand with the money they spent on Soldado and bagged themselves Benteke instead. Goes to show that Levy's penny pinching doesn't always pay off.

Edited by Shillzz

They'd be better off than they are now alright.  They'd argue of course that they currently are fighting for the title.  They've so far gotten away with having an underperforming striker up front.  If/when he clicks, they could take off.  I can't help thinking that by them not having a decent sub (i.e. a threat to Soldado) on the bench, it means Soldado isn't as motivated as he could be.  See Townsend/Lamela as the example.

Spurs with Benteke up front would be more threatening than with Soldado. In my opinion, 

Yep Soldado seems to be just like Defoe. If AVB could somehow get Adebayor motivated and playing well again then they would improve dramatically. 

Spurs with Benteke up front would be more threatening than with Soldado. In my opinion,

Yep Soldado seems to be just like Defoe. If AVB could somehow get Adebayor motivated and playing well again then they would improve dramatically.

Adebayor is not an option, don't think he's too far off being paid to leave his contract. He'll probably get shipped out in January.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So down to 9th now. Infact if we win our next two (which is possible) then we'll be above them on Saturday night. Got Man. United at home next weekend aswell.

I know they lost Bale who won them a huge amount of games but it's not like they just lost him and didn't bother replacing him like we've done with key players in the past, they spent a huge amount this season on a squad that was just missing out on top 4.

Soldado has been toss, 25m for him?! Negredo's been very good this season for City, they probably should've targeted him instead.

Be interested to see what the Spurs fans's opinions on them are currently (not expecting Glaston to turn up on here until March) as saying you're just happy finishing 5 or 6th every season when you're spending 80m on already a very good squad doesn't wash with me anymore.

9 league goals going into December, that is terrible.

It`s still not to late but I thought they would have done better by now. Should be very dissapointing, Soldado just looks bad in PL. Adebayor coming on really says it all. What a huge investment, they should have done far better either way you look at it.

AVB moaning at fans didnt help, that was an O Leary tactic backfiring. they have too many cooks in midfield, Chadli and Soldado havent looked great signings. 

Also greatest footballer in history of football Andros Townsend really isnt all that  compared to Bale

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

It`s still not to late but I thought they would have done better by now. Should be very dissapointing, Soldado just looks bad in PL. Adebayor coming on really says it all. What a huge investment, they should have done far better either way you look at it.

They are woefully understocked upfront, I see it now. Defoe scores goals but plays better in 4-4-2 and is 31 now, Adebayor can't be bothered and Soldado looks toss, Negredo would've been a better buy for them.

Likes of Sigurdsson and Holtby aren't top 4 standard either.

Quite enjoyed seeing City dismantle Spurs. Defensively all over the place and can't buy a goal. Not looking good for AVB if he doesn't sort it soon.

Interesting to see how many of their big names will stay if they don't finish top 4.

They are just pretenders.

They sold their only world class player, a guy who could beat the top teams in this league pretty much on his own, and signed half a dozen or so decent players with the money.

I was told time and time again about the 'top quality' they signed but that was only ever coming from deluded Spurs fans and Football Manager addicts who noticed that some of the Spurs signings had a high 'PA' LOL.

Spurs have downgraded and will be no where near winning the title this season or any season.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â