Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

46 minutes ago, maqroll said:

not sure. his movements were very deliberate and he seemed lucid...i think he was just a head case. he didn't like me talking to his girlfriend who i didn't know was his girlfriend. very stupid situation.

Is she still his girlfriend after he pulled a knife on you?   If so, she's nearly as disturbed as him.   I'm assuming "talking to his girlfriend" is not a euphemism...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Is she still his girlfriend after he pulled a knife on you?   If so, she's nearly as disturbed as him.   I'm assuming "talking to his girlfriend" is not a euphemism...

she didn't seem surprised when he pulled the knife, so I'm assuming she's used to him acting like a nut

8 hours ago, mottaloo said:

This. 100% this. In particular,  those who stand in the door way to bars, barely outside meaning you still have to walk through their plumes of smoke. However, the one that REALLY does my head in are the ignorant words removed who smoke right outside hospital entrances ! Not including the buggers in dressing gowns, hooked up to drips or in wheelchairs as they shouldn't wander off too far. I once took a pic of a nhs notice outside an entrance to good hope thanking folk for not smoking. It was surrounded by fag ends.

Oh the irony. 

I f-ing hat it.my brothers dad in law has cancer.goes for chemo(2 lots apparently),and after the one lot goes outside and smoks a ciggie  with the drip still attached to his arm.

sorry for it being down here but I've had a few

Edited by krisagg75

I've had stomach cramps on and off since Thursday night, possibly from the heat, I'm not sure.  Anyway I'm still getting twinges so called in sick today for the first time in 18 months or so (Thursday and Friday were my normal days off) and got a load of sarcasm from the manager who took my call.  I feel guilty enough taking time off, the last thing I need is shit like that.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've had stomach cramps on and off since Thursday night, possibly from the heat, I'm not sure.  Anyway I'm still getting twinges so called in sick today for the first time in 18 months or so (Thursday and Friday were my normal days off) and got a load of sarcasm from the manager who took my call.  I feel guilty enough taking time off, the last thing I need is shit like that.

Congratulations! When's it due?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

i thought you lived in birmingham?

Not since 1997. Apart from 3 years at Uni in Surrey, I've lived in County Durham (North East England) since I left Brum. Still go back regularly to see family, friends, and the Villa though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

You probably should have made it sound more serious, i.e. that you're Nagasaki-ing the toilet every 20 minutes so best to stay at home, no one is going to argue or be sarcastic about that. 

But also, why feel guilty for being ill? It's only work. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

You probably should have made it sound more serious, i.e. that you're Nagasaki-ing the toilet every 20 minutes so best to stay at home, no one is going to argue or be sarcastic about that. 

But also, why feel guilty for being ill? It's only work. 

Thing is he was being sarcastic before I'd even told him what was wrong and what my sickness record is like.  That's what pissed me off most.  Anyway I've been to the out of hours doctor who said I'm right to take the time off, so **** 'em.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

What a rocket polisher your manager sounds. Take a week off now!

I recall asking for a couple of hours of work, to go the docs to get the results from a blood test. My manager was off, so I had to square it off with another manager, and he told me no, and that I had to go in my own time (Yeah, because it's easy to get a doctor's appointment on a weekend, or after 5!). I told him in that case, I'd go home sick and get the doctor to sign me off for a couple of weeks. He let me go to the doctors. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

One of the things I love most about my current job is the management is completely hands off. If I need some time off, want to work from home, or I need to start late/leave early, I shout around to the half a dozen people in my team to make sure nothing important is on at that time, and write it on the whiteboard so people remember I won't be there, job done. I speak to my line manager about every 3 months for a catch up.

As long as people don't take the piss, there's no problem. I'm surprised how rare treating employees like adults seems to be.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think what you find in the working world is that most people are utterly terrible managers, totally devoid in management and people skills. They simply get the position based on time spent, politicking and from learning from other awful managers. 

Empowering people to make decisions that matter and giving them a strong work/life balance setup will only serve to keep morale high and keep them wanting to show up and actually try. In my experience, workplaces that treat people like kids almost always have a miserable and hateful atmosphere

Exactly.  We have had decent managers and it's a pleasure to go to work, but over time it gets worse and worse.  I'd say at least three quarters of our current department managers are a bunch of squat cobblers.  

Â