Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

If Facebook was down I'd moan at that and I don't give them anything.

A flawed comparison IMO Stevo.

facebook is run for the benefit of those who own facebook, at a huge profit for facebook. If it wasn't profitable, it wouldn't exist in its present form, if at all.

VillaTalk is run for the benefit of it's members and posters, is "owned" if that is the right work by Simon, and is run at a financial (and timeconsuming) loss. It is run and maintained by Simon due to his own benevolence.

That is why these donations both help and matter, and is why I find it somewhat galling that someone who has not donated (or who has not donated for a considerable time) has a moan about the site not running as smoothly as he would wish.

But the thing is, I shouldn't have to justify anything to you.

indeed you shouldn't. I've had a go at you. You've got upset. A touch of guilt perhaps? Who knows.

Maybe you hit a soft spot rather than guilt? You don't know his financial situation. Maybe he can't wait to donate until he is able to and then gets a dig for not donating.

I know I've had a guarantee with myself, the first day I start work in August will be the day I donate a fair amount to VT to make up for the time I haven't when I've been a poor student. He could be in a similar situation.

But the thing is, I shouldn't have to justify anything to you.

indeed you shouldn't. I've had a go at you. You've got upset. A touch of guilt perhaps? Who knows.

Nor do I have to donate every year, if I decide not to.

Indeed you don't. As i've posted elsewhere "You get your money for nothing and your chicks for free".

Some people donate, some don't (or don't do so very often). It's their (and your choice). You haven't donated in over a year. Your choice.

It's none of your business.

I can see you have not donated for some time, yet have had a bit of a moan about the maintenance of the site. I chose to make a comment. That's what this mesage board is all about fella - opinions and comments.

As I've said before, this place doesn't run on fresh air.

No, but it seems to be running on plenty of hot air with you lurking about....spare me your superiority, Jon. If the thread about log-in problems didn't already exist, I wouldn't have said a word. But the thread was there. And the words I DID say were said light heartedly, as were a few other posters.

But you want to have " a go" at me.....fair enough....just be assured that you look idiotic by doing so.

No wonder paddypower is doing so well. He seems afraid to be a bookie, judging by his odds compared to other bookies. Doesn't like a gamble at all. It pisses me off that I've been using him for so long when he's one of, if not the worst odds givers in the industry.

That i eat far too much bread.

Same here.

The problem with bread, as im sure you know, is that it's high gylcaemic index value leads to sugar level fluctuations that actually result in you becoming more hungry!

Hence, I find it quite achievable to go through a whole loaf of bread in a single day.

The trouble with bread is it's too damn tasty. I consciously try and limit my intake but there's simply nothing tastier as a snack than a cheddar cheese, tomato & white onion sandwich on soft fresh batch bread *slobber*.

When people say 'you should hear by Thursday'.

And its Thursday.......and you know you're not going to hear.

Try "it should be sorted soon" in May 2009. It's now...

When people say 'you should hear by Thursday'.

And its Thursday.......and you know you're not going to hear.

Try "it should be sorted soon" in May 2009. It's now...

Whats that then? House, bulk cannabis load, list of enemies needing despatching by a hitman?

Royal Mail

Incident 1 -> 2 weeks ago ordered a laptop charger. They tried to deliver it whilst nobody was in so left a card. I went to the office to collect it straight from work on the Friday afternoon. Told them my address, showed my ID, then the lady finds it and has it in her hand. She asked if I had my card, I said no, I've come straight from work, my driving license shows my name, address and photo so its clearly my package. She said that I couldn't have it if I didn't have the card as it was 'company policy'. It had to be redelivered the next day!! Insane.

Incident 2 -> Today my wife has taken my lad into town to get his first passport sent off. Anyone with a child will know that the standard birth certificate is fairly basic but you can buy a more detailed version for a couple of quid. During the checking process they said that the birth certificate was no good, it had to be the detailed one. She said what if we didn't have it? They said she'd have to apply for one first before making the application. Also, the cheque I put in was not acceptable without the debit card. The result, she's had to take the boy back to her car, out the pram into the car seat, home to get the other birth certificate, into the house, back into the car, out the car into the pram, back to the post office. She then had to pay cash for the pleasure as my card is with me at work. Nowhere does it state it has to be a specific birth certificate so why do RM seem to be able to dictate the rules? Also, pretty much every country in the land will accept a cheque in the post as payment, not RM it seems.

I really f&^king hate Royal Mail PLEASE SOMEBODY PRIVATISE THEM SO THAT THEY DON'T GET AWAY WITH BEING SO F^&KING USELESS!!!

I really f&^king hate Royal Mail PLEASE SOMEBODY PRIVATISE THEM SO THAT THEY DON'T GET AWAY WITH BEING SO F^&KING USELESS!!!
Yeah, just like privatisation made the railways and utility companies so **** fantastic. Not.

I don't think privatisation is necessarily the answer but I certainly feel the frustration in Tamuff's stories. Civil servants often have bureaucracy and red tape to hide behind if they wish to, and some are jobsworths safe in the knowledge that they are unsackable while RM is government owned (which is where I think Tamuff is coming from...) but I think it's important to tell the jobsworths of that fact to their face; and maybe wrap it in a few expletives just to emphasise the point :)

Yeah, just like privatisation made the railways and utility companies so **** fantastic. Not.

I tired of going into any of their building and seeing staff hobbling round covered in dust not knowing their arse from their elbow counting down the days till retirement. It needs a major shake up. I would think if Dave C and Co. went sniffing around Royal Mail looking for savings they could probably run the place twice as well for half the cost.

If Facebook was down I'd moan at that and I don't give them anything.

A flawed comparison IMO Stevo.

facebook is run for the benefit of those who own facebook, at a huge profit for facebook. If it wasn't profitable, it wouldn't exist in its present form, if at all.

VillaTalk is run for the benefit of it's members and posters, is "owned" if that is the right work by Simon, and is run at a financial (and timeconsuming) loss. It is run and maintained by Simon due to his own benevolence.

That is why these donations both help and matter, and is why I find it somewhat galling that someone who has not donated (or who has not donated for a considerable time) has a moan about the site not running as smoothly as he would wish.

Fair enough, a flawed comparison.

I'm still on maqroll's side of the argument though. Again, I don't moan about the site, and I donate (not regularly enough, but I do. I'm due one now) and I appreciate the work that goes into the site.

But I don't think someone who doesn't donate should be moaned at.

Â