Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I don't have a massive issue with (non violent) burglary/theft.

Yes, it's wrong, yes, it's illegal, and yes, I wouldn't want someone knicking my stuff.

But it's done for a reason. It's performed by people who are desperate, who are at the lower ebb of society. It's a very high risk 'profession', for the reasons outlined above.

Many burglars are also violent thugs - and for such people, I'd like to see the full weight of the law hit them hard. But burglary/theft to 'get by' by non violent people does not really get me overly wriled. It's what people in the banking & investment sector have been doing for years, and we're still paying for it now. :mrgreen:

But there's a difference between stealing from a shop/company, pickpocketing and breaking into somebodies private home to steal.

I have a big big problem with the latter tbh, and if they get peppered with nails from a 6ft drop, so be it.

I think its rarely somebody stealing bread for an ill relative, I think that was a Victor Hugo novel.

Yeah. I'd wager there's a significant correlation between burglary and drug usage. (again, see also Financial sector). ;)

Yes, it's wrong, yes, it's illegal, and yes, I wouldn't want someone knicking my stuff.

But it's done for a reason. It's performed by people who are desperate, who are at the lower ebb of society. It's a very high risk 'profession', for the reasons outlined above.

Many burglars are also violent thugs - and for such people, I'd like to see the full weight of the law hit them hard. But burglary/theft to 'get by' by non violent people does not really get me overly wriled. It's what people in the banking & investment sector have been doing for years, and we're still paying for it now. :mrgreen:

But there's a difference between stealing from a shop/company, pickpocketing and breaking into somebodies private home to steal.

I have a big big problem with the latter tbh, and if they get peppered with nails from a 6ft drop, so be it.

That's what makes it such a high risk 'profession'. Pickpocketting/stealing from shops less so. You've really got to be quite desperate/brave/idiotic/high to enter someones home to steal.

**** this

• Like 1

Ok, to a degree I have engaged in a spot of:

gone_fishing.png

But the general point I am raising is that not all burglars and scum of the earth that deserve whatever they get, be that being beaten to a pulp or savagely wounded/killed. Often the response to a burglary is disproportionate to the crime being committed.

I sorta agree with you but only to a degree  ... I think some burglars aren't desperate people , they just do it as a career choice 

I've posted on here before about the would be hero's protecting their property / family with a cricket bat etc   ... I don't suggest people cower under the bed in a fit of hysterics  but some people are naturally more violent than others and if you haven't got that "instinct" in you I don't really see how someone will suddenly turn into Superman .. if your gonna swing a cricket bat  make it count cause get it wrong and you are in a f**kload of trouble

Don't know about the rest of you but tbh I don't have a lot of valuables in my house  , TV's , computers , cameras are all pretty much disposable items nowadays and easily replaced ... and I don't own a watch or any jewels so not a lot there  ... got some expensive Hulsta furniture but I doubt your average burglar is going to pick that up and cart it off down the street on his back :-)  .. so If I got burgled tomorrow , sure I'd be pissed off , but it would only be a minor inconvenience

Hmmm, I think I know what you're trying to say but you've made it way too apologetic on behalf of the burglar. You've also made the (IMO incorrect) assumption that all burglars are trying to get by. They're not. They're usually serial-burglars who do that as a career rather than even try to earn a living. Those ones are not robbing cuz they're hungry. They're robbing cuz you might have something that'll earn them a quick buck. That buck won't be the difference between their kids eating or not eating. It'll either get them their next fix or they'll flog it down the market at the weekend and turn a nice profit. The kind of person you're describing (i.e. the one trying to get by) is, IMO, far more likely to tea-leaf a loaf of bread from the local newsagent. In very specific scenarios where a family are genuinely having trouble, I too would not have a massive problem with Tesco missing some bread and milk. But I'm sorry, I do have a big problem with people coming into a private property and making off with whatever they think is valuable. And as for it being high risk. I agree because they would be accepting the risk of being caught and the subsequent journey up the mountains in the boot of the car with 4 broken limbs.
  • Like 1

I'd guess that the majority of burglars aren't doing it to get by. Or at least don't HAVE to do it to get by.

Just because a burglar has chosen that as a career and now NEEDS to do it to get by because he doesn't have any other income, doesn't make it right.

I'm not a fan of burglars, but I'd take them out for dinner and buy them a beer compared to the utter gits that are women in M&S at lunchtime.  I just wanted to buy a plain white shirt for work, picked one, took it to the till, then had a fifteen minute wait while a queue of women returned items and generally pissed about.  Bastards.  I nearly took to theft myself due to the sheer annoyance of having to wait behind in line behind them.  I wouldn't mind but it was the till in the sodding menswear section, which should clearly be for men only.

I'm not a fan of burglars, but I'd take them out for dinner and buy them a beer compared to the utter gits that are women in M&S at lunchtime.  I just wanted to buy a plain white shirt for work, picked one, took it to the till, then had a fifteen minute wait while a queue of women returned items and generally pissed about.  Bastards.  I nearly took to theft myself due to the sheer annoyance of having to wait behind in line behind them.  I wouldn't mind but it was the till in the sodding menswear section, which should clearly be for men only.

Shouldn't they be returning stuff to the customer services counter? I'm not sure you can return stuff to a regular cash register over here although I'm no shopping expert :)

I just have a funny image now of a burglar bouncing down off MV's front step and tearing off up the road on said segway with a big telly on his back.

Â