Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I've never done that but I've been the guy who picked up a guitar at a party at uni :D

Haha, I've moaned about that in this thread before. That's usually the point where I leave. Quickly.

guy got on our carriage of the Trans Siberian express with a guitar  ...

he was a back packer , with the beads and the pony tail so he was already on dodgy ground but my mate and I made it known to him we that if he wanted it to make it to Beijing his best chance was it staying inside the case ... we did it subtly and humorously of course ..but clearly the hint worked  :)

I've never done that but I've been the guy who picked up a guitar at a party at uni :D

For me, it's what you did once you picked it up. If you smacked it over the head of the bloke changing the music that's one thing, but...

• Like 1

After the speeches, when the cake's been cut
The disco's over and the bar is shut
At christening, birthday, wedding or wake
What can we sing 'til the morning breaks?

When the Indians, Asians, Afro-Celts
It's in their blood, below their belt
They're playing and dancing all night long
So what have they got right that we've got wrong?

And a minister said his vision of hell
Is three folk singers in a pub near Wells
Well, I've got a vision of urban sprawl
There's pubs where no-one ever sings at all

And everyone stares at a great big screen
Overpaid soccer stars, prancing teens
Australian soap, American rap
Estuary English, baseball caps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P5h4PFBuzvw

Edited by mjmooney

How often do you guys go to parties, and is that the only time you "listen to" music?

I try and avoid them ... nothing sets me into rant mode more than people who want a "xx Birthday " party or engagement party etc

If it's someone quite close then I'll book a trip abroad so I don't offend them by not turning up

Usually go back to mates houses after the pub shuts and there will usually be some music going on at some point ..One mate has a Nick Cave thing going on which he always subjects me to  , but I get him back when he comes over to ours with Big Country :) 

Miserable buggers. You could have had a sing-song.

there is a video somewhere on the interweb of me doing drunk Karaoke  ... trust me a sing song would have resulted in all of us being ejected from the train  

Edited by tonyh29

After the speeches, when the cake's been cut

The disco's over and the bar is shut

At christening, birthday, wedding or wake

What can we sing 'til the morning breaks?

When the Indians, Asians, Afro-Celts

It's in their blood, below their belt

They're playing and dancing all night long

So what have they got right that we've got wrong?

And a minister said his vision of hell

Is three folk singers in a pub near Wells

Well, I've got a vision of urban sprawl

There's pubs where no-one ever sings at all

And everyone stares at a great big screen

Overpaid soccer stars, prancing teens

Australian soap, American rap

Estuary English, baseball caps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P5h4PFBuzvw

nice lyrics

not sure of the relevance of the Eden project in the video though

I am a cover to cover album listener. I do not create playlists and never skip tracks. I like a lot of live sets which are usually an hour to two hours long. 

Your parties must be really fun

Nothing is better than a proper dj live set. Has right amount of continuity. All my mates are house music / electronic music fans so they enjoy it too. Play lists is a random assortment of songs with no continuity of flow. 

It's why people like gigs, one band / dj controlling what you listen to. I'd argue it's the best way to enjoy music. But our best parties we have someone in  on decks so.....

not sure of the relevance of the Eden project in the video though

Me neither. I'll ask them next time I see them.

Edited by mjmooney

Do smartphones have such a big capacity as dedicated mp3 players though?

My phone can take a 64gb micro sd card. I have a 32gb one in there with all my music on it. So storage isn't a problem. Especially given how many people stream music now storage will become less important.

If you're at somebody else's party you really should try and put up with their shite taste, not least because you must know in your heart of hearts that your taste is different shit not better shit.

Not that I party much, but on the odd occassion I do get to a BBQ or somesuch you can usually tell if the male or female is running that house and party. If you get there and you have generic pop, the laydee is in charge. If you get there and it's a Trojan Reggae box set or Rainbow, the man is trying (too hard) to impress.

I do enjoy people looking through my collection looking for something 'else'. Ha ha, no my friend, it's all like that.

On this subject. People who go to parties and immediately **** with the music.

I find that really rude.

By all means ask after a while if you can change the song. But I know people who turn up to parties and that's basically the first thing they do.

Agreed, if it's not your party you don't control the music. You can ask to change it etc.. but it's really not your place. 

Nothing is better than a proper dj live set.

This stuff makes me feel old. I can never quite get this idea that somebody playing records qualifies as 'live music'.

Is there not some 'Four consecutive Black Eyed Peas songs' rule that allows anyone to change the music? :D

In my case, a "one consecutive Black Eyed Peas song" rule.

Nothing is better than a proper dj live set.

This stuff makes me feel old. I can never quite get this idea that somebody playing records qualifies as 'live music'.

Well they're not just playing records, they're mixing it together and getting feeling off the crowd. So that's the live element. 

I have a 32gb one in there with all my music on it.

"All" your music on 32gb?!?

That would only be a tiny fraction of what's on my music storage disk. Having said that, most of my music is awful so it's probably a "mute" point.

Â