Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

It’s going to be really tough, but I’m going to try and bring my kids up well without making them eat their pets. 

I know it’s not ideal and in a perfect world I’d love to traumatise them, but I’m going to see if there’s another way.

If you do have to eat one of your children's pets, get them a pet pig😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don't know what pisses me off more tbh. the people complaining about this or M&S giving in to them

I hate people, people are shit. So Christmas, with it's traditional colours, will people be offended as I hung the colours of Palestine from a tree, and that clearly means that I want to hang Palestinians. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Thankfully, though, WE (sadly, some people do) live in a position where we don't need food purely for survival.  I'm not entirely sure if you're suggesting that going back to those times would be a good thing?  But, yeah, it wouldn't.  I also reckon you eat largely what you like now, but I wouldn't want to make some massive assumption like others in this thread.

On eating for genuine hunger, it's also lead to some really unhealthy relationships with food.  My Dad (who, to be fair, was very fussy and has become much better over the last 6 years or so) doesn't leave anything because it's a "waste".  He grew up where everything was on a smaller scale, and commodities were rarer etc.  So even though he's full, if there's extra <whatever the meal is> in the pan or on someone else's plate, he eats it.  Doesn't need it but "kids are starving, can't LEAVE FOOD" - which is a fine statement, but not a fine way to eat (IMO).

There's a massive difference to completely giving in to every whim of your children (which, I would say, is bad parenting) and accepting that maybe they don't enjoy all foods right now.  As long as you're providing them with healthy food and variety in food, it's fine.  They'll grow up.

No, having more choice now is definitely better, but scarcity makes you appreciate things more, which is something I have noticed change over the years.

My belief is that children (not all, but some) use eating food as a situation to express problems they have, as it is one area in their life where they have some leverage over the adults. As a child I was constantly hungry and underweight (my mother was borderline anorexic and an abysmal cook), so I never used food to act out (and I have had an unhealthy relationship with food my entire life). I acted out in other ways to express my problems. Times change I guess, but kids will always have problems.

50 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Some strange connections between children being fussy eaters and their parents political persuasion, but anyway, it’s something I want to be careful with my boys about.

I was a fussy eater as a kid and I didn’t have a big appetite, but I’d be forced to sit at the table until everything on my plate was eaten otherwise I’d be wasting food, there were “starving kids in Africa”, “you don’t know you’re born, we ate what we were given when we were young!” and all that bollocks.

It gave me an unhealthily relationship with food, I dreaded every meal time and I didn’t touch a green vegetable until was about 19.

So we pander to my kids and we feed them what they like. I don’t force them to anything they don’t want to. They might try new things and tell us whether they like they or not. If they don’t, they might try it again a few months later and they might like it when their tastebuds have changed.

If that makes me a shitty, lazy, woke, labour voting parent then so be it. 

Pretty much my story. 

• Like 1

My parents weren't the best, and that's being polite. I hated sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, potato scollops, beef burgers, but if any of them was on a plate I was eating them, no matter what, be that voluntarily or not. I can eat and enjoy them all now, apart from scollops, but off the back of my parents attitude when my daughter was young, if she didn't want something, within reason, it was not a case of you remain at the table until you have cleared it. On the whole we didnt feed her things she didnt like.

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My parents weren't the best, and that's being polite. I hated sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, potato scollops, beef burgers, but if any of them was on a plate I was eating them, no matter what, be that voluntarily or not. I can eat and enjoy them all now, apart from scollops, but off the back of my parents attitude when my daughter was young, if she didn't want something, within reason, it was not a case of you remain at the table until you have cleared it. On the whole we didnt feed her things she didnt like.

Giving children food you know they do not like, and punishing them for not eating it is just abusive (my parents favourite dinner time entertainment). 

2 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Giving children food you know they do not like, and punishing them for not eating it is just abusive (my parents favourite dinner time entertainment). 

Absolutely. 

50 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I hate people, people are shit. So Christmas, with its traditional colours, will people be offended as I hung the colours of Palestine from a tree, and that clearly means that I want to hang Palestinians. 

I have to admit I had no idea the traditional Colours of Christmas are exactly the same as the Palestinian flag! 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I don't know what pisses me off more tbh. the people complaining about this or M&S giving in to them

definitely M&S for giving into the whacko's out there 

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apparently M&S have had strong links with Israel for years so the conspiracy loons were always going to be all over this.

Today, the company as it is, has absolutely no connection with Israel

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’d think a marketing department would think about these things ?

Why would they? Colours of the Palestinians flag... Black, red, green and white. Colours of hats, green, red and silver

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Some strange connections between children being fussy eaters and their parents political persuasion, but anyway, it’s something I want to be careful with my boys about.

I was a fussy eater as a kid and I didn’t have a big appetite, but I’d be forced to sit at the table until everything on my plate was eaten otherwise I’d be wasting food, there were “starving kids in Africa”, “you don’t know you’re born, we ate what we were given when we were young!” and all that bollocks.

It gave me an unhealthily relationship with food, I dreaded every meal time and I didn’t touch a green vegetable until was about 19.

So we pander to my kids and we feed them what they like. I don’t force them to anything they don’t want to. They might try new things and tell us whether they like they or not. If they don’t, they might try it again a few months later and they might like it when their tastebuds have changed.

They are obviously desperate to be considered good people, and that means their biggest dread is to be thought a bad parent; what could be worse?

Figures of authority like the government always provoke transference, so the last thing they would want is to be seen as a cruel authoritarian parent who won't let the kid have pudding until they've eaten their meat.

Spring and Port Wine fashion.

So they are easily manipulated.

What they don't realise is that their kids will blame them anyway, no matter what they do.

Larkin fashion!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Agree with that, I don't force my kids to finish their food or get everything down them, although I'm currently going through the problems of trying to get my daughter to drink more

At the same time I don't cook specifically for them, they eat what we eat and I think that's the right way to do it, we watch them and kind of learn with them

What pisses me off with my brothers kids is the idea that a certain brand or a certain way of cooking makes a huge impact on the food, it doesn't, like the heinz tomato sauce or the cloudy apple juice, that's stupud

What really pisses me off is the idea that they don't like something when they don't have a clue what it is, tonight I bbq'd some special German pork steaks that you won't find in the UK so they've never heard of it or tried it, kids didn't want to know, they had scrambled egg with tinned hot dog sausages, it's a sad place to be

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It really pisses me off because it makes it so hard to stay politically neutral in situations like this, because both sides absolutely suck. 

Worst still, some people put a lot of energy into supporting one of these shit stains.

Â