Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No sooner do I recover from the aftereffects of the flu and covid jabs than I get hit with some other winter virus. Grrrr. Feel like shit. 🤒 🤧 🤮 

You can't be too bad, if you can still remember that the plural of 'after-effect' isn't hyphenated. 😆

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

You can't be too bad, if you can still remember that the plural of 'after-effect' isn't hyphenated. 😆

Actually, I'm not sure it is, in British usage. 

But the proof that my man flu (manflu? man-flu?) is a severe case is that I don't care. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's nothing to do with being liberal. It's being lazy to have an easy life in the short term without considering the long term negatives.

I'm already worried about my son being a fuss eater and he's not even old enough to know what fussy eating is

Be wary of this.  My eldest used to eat anything. 

Then he went to school and learned from other, shitty.. I mean fussy kids that it's cool to be fussy and now he's much more fussy (not to @villa4europe s degree thankfully).  One kid he knows also brought "I feel like I'm choking" to his attention, so he's regressed into an absolute moron when it comes to eating, chewing something 500 bastard times before he swallows it.  

It's a phase, but it's doing my **** head in.  Also "I don't like crusts" is an excuse to have 2 bites of a sandwich and throw the rest away, but there's always somehow room for more sweets/chocolate.. 

Grr. 

13 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Be wary of this.  My eldest used to eat anything. 

Then he went to school and learned from other, shitty.. I mean fussy kids that it's cool to be fussy and now he's much more fussy (not to @villa4europe s degree thankfully).  One kid he knows also brought "I feel like I'm choking" to his attention, so he's regressed into an absolute moron when it comes to eating, chewing something 500 bastard times before he swallows it.  

It's a phase, but it's doing my **** head in.  Also "I don't like crusts" is an excuse to have 2 bites of a sandwich and throw the rest away, but there's always somehow room for more sweets/chocolate.. 

Grr. 

Liberal

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's nothing to do with being liberal. It's being lazy to have an easy life in the short term without considering the long term negatives.

I'm already worried about my son being a fuss eater and he's not even old enough to know what fussy eating is

I always thought Freud had got it wrong with his obsession with potty-training, I think that most power struggles between child and parent happen at the dinner-table.

When your boy goes out into the world he'll be free to try stuff without the pressures of parental anxiety and annoyance. 😎

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have said it before, and I will say it again, kids are words removed. Anyone who has shared a table at tea time with a child will know that they are absolute words removed. Because they are your flesh and blood, your babies its difficult to think of them as words removed, but they do not give a shit for you or your feelings, or indeed your financial outlay. They are words removed.

Their Id has not yet developed, but their Ego's and Super Ego's certainly have.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My wife bought my grandson a pizza from the co-op. We didnt fancy the 30 minute argument about what he would or wouldnt eat that night so whilst we were having a curry, that little **** could have pizza. Except unbeknownst to us it was bbq base with goose island ipa in the bbq sauce. He had one bite and refused it. We had words as he has had bbq base on pizza before without issue. Strong words. He flatly refused and so I pointed out that we werent made of money and he is taking the mick. Anyway, my wife dives in the freezer for a quick alternative and the pizza is put away for a little bit of snacking by this tubby ****. I had a single bite and it was the rankest thing I have ever tasted. Absolutely awful. Turns out he wasnt being fussy.

Before I read the end of your post I was thinking "To be fair that pizza does sound **** rank"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I always thought Freud had got it wrong with his obsession with potty-training, I think that most power struggles between child and parent happen at the dinner-table.

When your boy goes out into the world he'll be free to try stuff without the pressures of parental anxiety and annoyance. 😎

My son (21) is now constantly surprising us by tucking into stuff he'd never eat with us when younger. 

I still have to pin him to the floor and hold his nose to make him eat vegetables though. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Xela said:

Celebrity Halloween parties. 

Just a way for attention seekers to attention seek. 

And now they're all making apologies when they've been deemed by the twitterarti to have gone too far. 

For **** sake.  You chose that outfit because you WANTED to be outrageous. At least have the courage of your convictions when called out by some self appointed judges. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The way society has changed in this last decade or so, it's no suprise to see more and more idiotic/narcisstict/entitled children these days. You only have to look at who they were bought up and raised by and how and it really comes as no suprise.

I 'liked' your original post based on the Narcissitic element you elude to, through unfortunately having experienced and witnessed it on quite a few occasions.

Curious as to what you're alluding to here?  In what way has society changed that makes children more idiotic/narcisstic/entitled?  Who were they brought up and raised by?

• Like 1

As mentioned upstream, had no problem with our kids eating everything and anything… until they got to school and learned they had friends that were fussy.

Eldest came home from school one day and announced they didn’t like onions. Next meal I cut the onion up far smaller and explained I’d bought special children’s onions from Tesco and they were smaller and sweeter but veeeeery expensive so the choice was to try them, if they were too sweet and too small we would go back to normal onions.

Turned out the expensive sweet small children's onions were just fine!

Fair play, they would check every meal ‘are these childrens onions?’ Oh yes, yes they are, eat up.

We were those liberal parents, all of us up the allotment, get some veg bring it home prep it and cook it. They just sort of presumed that was normal and you just ate it.

I think we were really quite lucky.

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Curious as to what you're alluding to here?  In what way has society changed that makes children more idiotic/narcisstic/entitled?  Who were they brought up and raised by?

Because eating food we didn't like the taste of was preferable to going hungry. Food is cheaper and more available now than ever before, but it has not always been like that.

My partner was brought up during the miners strike, and quickly realised that every time she had rabbit stew for tea, the next day one of the kids on the street would be upset because their pet rabbit had "escaped" from it's hutch.

When your basic survival instincts kick in, being fussy is not an option.

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

As mentioned upstream, had no problem with our kids eating everything and anything… until they got to school and learned they had friends that were fussy.

Eldest came home from school one day and announced they didn’t like onions. Next meal I cut the onion up far smaller and explained I’d bought special children’s onions from Tesco and they were smaller and sweeter but veeeeery expensive so the choice was to try them, if they were too sweet and too small we would go back to normal onions.

Turned out the expensive sweet small children's onions were just fine!

Fair play, they would check every meal ‘are these childrens onions?’ Oh yes, yes they are, eat up.

We were those liberal parents, all of us up the allotment, get some veg bring it home prep it and cook it. They just sort of presumed that was normal and you just ate it.

I think we were really quite lucky.

My mates son (4yo) wouldn't eat a pie for tea, because it tasted horrible. My mate told him it was monkey brain pie, and the son wanted it every evening from then on 😁

Edited by luckyeddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Because eating food we didn't like the taste of was preferable to going hungry. Food is cheaper and more available now than ever before, but it has not always been like that.

My partner was brought up during the miners strike, and quickly realised that every time she had rabbit stew for tea, the next day one of the kids on the street would be upset because their pet rabbit had "escaped" from it's hutch.

When your basic survival instincts kick in, being fussy is not an option.

Thankfully, though, WE (sadly, some people do) live in a position where we don't need food purely for survival.  I'm not entirely sure if you're suggesting that going back to those times would be a good thing?  But, yeah, it wouldn't.  I also reckon you eat largely what you like now, but I wouldn't want to make some massive assumption like others in this thread.

On eating for genuine hunger, it's also lead to some really unhealthy relationships with food.  My Dad (who, to be fair, was very fussy and has become much better over the last 6 years or so) doesn't leave anything because it's a "waste".  He grew up where everything was on a smaller scale, and commodities were rarer etc.  So even though he's full, if there's extra <whatever the meal is> in the pan or on someone else's plate, he eats it.  Doesn't need it but "kids are starving, can't LEAVE FOOD" - which is a fine statement, but not a fine way to eat (IMO).

There's a massive difference to completely giving in to every whim of your children (which, I would say, is bad parenting) and accepting that maybe they don't enjoy all foods right now.  As long as you're providing them with healthy food and variety in food, it's fine.  They'll grow up.

Edited by bobzy

Â