Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Being behind someone who's driving at 45mph... do I use 4th gear or 5th? Both feel wrong.

You shouldn't be anyhwhere near 5th gear at that speed.

tend to move into 4th at 35-40 (or anything up to 50). Nothing lower. 4th would then take me up to 55-70.

I'd think about 5th gear I guess at about 60, or 55 at the really low end.

Being behind someone who's driving at 45mph... do I use 4th gear or 5th? Both feel wrong.

tend to move into 4th at 35-40 (or anything up to 50). Nothing lower. 4th would then take me up to 55-70.

Really?! Do you drive a porsche or something?

4th gear at 70mph?

I'd DEFINITELY be in 5th if I was driving at 45mph.

Although mine is a 6 speed. But still, I'd probably hit 6th at 50mph

Hmmm.. I've recently passed my test and I was taught differently.

15-30mph i'd use 3rd gear

30-50ish i'd use 4th gear

50+ i'd use 5th gear.

At 45mph my car tells me to change to 5th, but in 5th at 45mph it tells me to drop to 4th. Quite frustrating.

I think my car would blow up if I used 4th at 60mph!

I can understand 4th at 60 if you're nailing it to get up to speed. like if I was accelerating to 70+ on the motorway then I'd stay in 4th a lot longer.

But if driving at a steady 60 mph, for example, then there's no way I'd be in 4th

Surely you drive to the engine noise/rpm rather than the speed you are doing?
This.

Of course. But the engine noise tends to match the speed.

If you were doing 70mph in 4th the Engine would be crying like a little bitch

Surely you drive to the engine noise/rpm rather than the speed you are doing?
This.

Of course. But the engine noise tends to match the speed.

If you were doing 70mph in 4th the Engine would be crying like a little bitch

Nah.... Wiggy always makes that noise when I drive "fast" :winkold:

Different cars have different gearings, not to mention different amounts of gears. Only on VT could we definitively talk about what gear to be in for a given speed as if there was only one car in the world :lol:

If you can change gear without using the clutch up or down then you are going the right speed.

And you can start saving for a new gearbox for all the times you don't get it right ;-)

Amsterdam is technically right but he's being slightly unrealistic. You'd have to be going exactly the right speed so as to slot the gear in seamlessly. It's not really what we're talking about here :) Though it is another thing VT is good at :P

^^ Huh?! Isn't that how you **** up the syncromesh?

Surely its foot off gas, depress clutch, select gear, release clutch, back on the gas?

It does not make a sound if you do it right. I used to drive for a living and jumped in and out of up to 10 different cars a day. Once you are moving you don't need a clutch. As long as you don't stop moving its fine.

I had a clutch go halfway back from Bedford to Redditch but still got home or after 2 or 3 hundred miles I just got a bit lazy some days, if high powered then the clutch is heavy after hours and hours so made sense to me.

Â