Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Can of worms. All countries have their own versions of SOME overseas places.

Italian LIVORNO, English LEGHORN

Italian FIRENZA, English FLORENCE

French PARIS (pronounced PAREE), English PARIS (pronounced PARISS)

French LONDRES, English LONDON

Welsh CYMRU, English WALES, French PAYS DE GALLES

German DEUTSCHLAND, English GERMANY, French ALLEMAGNE

For these (there are many others), accepted conventions apply. For all the less well-known places, try and pronounce it as the locals would. Although for most people, actually adopting the 'correct' accent feels (for some reason) embarrassing. The Olympic announcers do it though.

The absolute worst, for me, is when people pronounce an English version of a place name with a faux-foreign accent.

For example, some people pronounce the English version of København as Copen-HAH-gen which is how a German would pronounce the word.

It's the equivalent of a French person, while conversing in French, pronouncing Angleterre with an exaggerated Irish accent

Arn-drey Villashhhhhhh Bwo-Ashhhhhhhhhh

**** this. All day long.

its not just him though, during the euros they kept calling the italy manager cesare prandeli "CHESERAY prandeli " germany manager joachim loew is prounounced "hogi LURVE" even though in german its pronounced "hochim lof"

Also, Olympics will end in less than 2 days' time. Damn.

I shed a tear (well not literally) a few nights ago when I realised that I couldn't lie in bed with the soothing sounds of the womens volleyball acting as a cradle swaying me side to side :(

**** this. All day long.

its not just him though, during the euros they kept calling the italy manager cesare prandeli "CHESERAY prandeli " germany manager joachim loew is prounounced "hogi LURVE" even though in german its pronounced "hochim lof"

1997 Champions League final. ITV. For the entire first half the commentator (who I presume was the late, great Brian Moore) insisted on calling Borussia Dortmund's defensive midfielder "Paul LOM-BERR" perhaps in the assumption he was French or something. Still, I can forgive Moore because he provided the greatest bit of commentary in Aston Villa's history ("oh it must be! IT IS!") but I never did find out what happened to that Paul Lom-berr fella. What is he up to these days?

Also, Olympics will end in less than 2 days' time. Damn.

I shed a tear (well not literally) a few nights ago when I realised that I couldn't lie in bed with the soothing sounds of the womens volleyball acting as a cradle swaying me side to side :(

:lol:

Anyway, the blow of the Olympics ending has been softened as I've just realised that the new league season will start next week. How refreshing it is to look to the new season with excitement rather than trepidation or apathy.

(I've been too engrossed in the Olympics to give a shit about football these few weeks!)

Just received an email from Facebook telling me that someone accessed my account from a device I don't normally use and from a location from I don't normally access from.

Which of course has me scrambling round trying to access to gmail and change every password I ever use, just in case. So of course Gmail seems to be very slow which only serves to worry me more.

**** this. All day long.

Both of those pronunciations more or less sound right to me. How else would you pronounce Cesare in Italian?

And "Lof"? Really? I understood that 'oe' or 'ü' (same thing) was sort of an "er" sound, and a "w" would be as an English "v" (the German "v" would be like an English "f"). And the final "e" should be pronounced, surely? So, "lurv-uh".

**** this. All day long.

Both of those pronunciations more or less sound right to me. How else would you pronounce Cesare in Italian?

And "Lof"? Really? I understood that 'oe' or 'ü' (same thing) was sort of an "er" sound, and a "w" would be as an English "v" (the German "v" would be like an English "f"). And the final "e" should be pronounced, surely? So, "lurv-uh".

Joachim "Jogi" Löw - german pronunciation is "jo-axim (jogi) lof"

Cesare Claudio Prandelli - italian pronunciation is "cezare pran-delli"

Having broadband troubles now. Slow, struggling to load many pages, anything involving a download/streaming of pretty much any sort (even stuff like trying to use Youtube) is a complete no go.

Service is supposedly in good order.

...**** computers. I've already spent all afternoon changing passwords.

Having broadband troubles now. Slow, struggling to load many pages, anything involving a download/streaming of pretty much any sort (even stuff like trying to use Youtube) is a complete no go.

Service is supposedly in good order.

...**** computers. I've already spent all afternoon changing passwords.

My BT broadband has been cutting out sporadically for the past few days and it is doing my nut in, and as in your case they said service is running as usual.

My immediate reaction is some sort of malware these days but it seems to be affecting every computer in the house. I just sparked up my desktop and tried to download Chrome again (just to remove the browser variable). I couldn't complete the download of the initial installer even, it errored and could not download (does the same on my laptop). I then ran a previous version of the installer still hanging around my download folder - it's estimated time to completion jumped between an hour and 5.

Running MSE definitions update (a tiny download) on my desktop also was taking so long I eventually gave up.

Opening up webmail accounts takes forever as well.

A quick Google suggests theres a few suffering from similar issues around Brum so that puts my mind slightly at ease, especially after the bizarre 'someone in Essex accessed your Facebook account at 5am - was it you?' email I got this morning. That's still got me somewhat worried even after a load of password changing.

Shoving petrol in the car only to find out at the till that your wallet is empty of cash or cards! Ggggrrrr! I really should have checked. Luckily, the guy was understanding enough (he said I've got half an hour to come back or he'll call the police :| )

I thought I'd stay up and watch the meteor shower that is supposed to be over Oxfordshire tonight. The clouds decided to turn up and see what all the fuss was about... like they do every time something interesting happens in the sky!

I did see one big meteor shoot across though.

Â