Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Your shooting yourself in the foot now. This is certainly not what people say, that's complete and utter b******!!

People who actually work with kids, rather than people who post on flag shagger Facebook

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Having said all that, I’m no silent right winger, I think the Colston statue should have stayed at the bottom of the dock. 

It’s old ground but I personally prefer the version where we don’t let rabid lefties  decide what is and isn’t acceptable to society  , it’s “criminal “ that those people didn’t do some at least 50000 hours of community service or even some prison time … by all means remove the statue or better still amend the text around it , but cur-towing to mob rule was the worse possible outcome 

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It’s old ground but I personally prefer the version where we don’t let rabid lefties  decide what is and isn’t acceptable to society  , it’s “criminal “ that those people didn’t do some at least 50000 hours of community service or even some prison time … by all means remove the statue or better still amend the text around it , but cur-towing to mob rule was the worse possible outcome 

People had been nice about it for a long time and nothing happened.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you have to take direct action.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

At least we agree on something. 😆

36 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Still not true, although obviously depends on areas I guess.

I disagree. Like you say location can make a difference and there are extreme negative examples, but on the whole kids are so much more tolerant now and are less sexist, racist and homophobic than our (think we're similar ages) generation and older, and that's not because they're snowflakes or woke or whatever. It just means people have learnt from others mistakes and there is more respect for people that are different and a desire to find out more. As well as campaigns, protests, celebrations & marches to do just that.

Things have changed for the better but there is still improvement to be made.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

FTFY

I've come off it, horrible platform, its not even the randoms jumping on stuff you say it's the hatred, violence and racism that I was stumbling across on so many posts

Its bandit country 

There are some ok little communities on Twitter if you pick the right people to follow. It's a weird place. Aggressive use of block and mute and avoiding certain topics helps to keep it sane. Also never Tweet under your own name / photo unless you want to take serious buckets of shit off obsessive weirdos.

I only use Twitter for new/unfolding news stories or to see very recent goals.

Absolute shithole otherwise. I can’t believe it has so many users. I think it’ll collapse at some point.

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I mean you know the history of this statue right?

They campaigned and campaigned and campaigned to remove it, via democracy, via soft action, and they kept getting shut down by a shadowy group who run the council.

The worst example was dissidents softened the campaign to get it removed, and compromised on a plaque with wording written by the students at the local school named after the guy and even that was shut down by this shadowy society.

If all peaceful and democratic means have been shit down aggressively and undemocratically, what else can be done?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We're having a gas inspection today. Landlord and gas man come round, check all the gas appliances, and also check the gas meter thingamajig which is in the storage cupboard in the hall. It won't happen until today at some point after 1pm

As a result we had to clear out the cupboard yesterday so they had access when they arrive today. No big deal

We'd discussed it several times. I assured her I was going to do it. Several times. 

The F1 was on at 2pm yesterday so I said as soon as that was finished I'd do it. It would only take half an hour. No problem. There's literally no rush. We're not doing anything else for the rest of the day, no stress.

Halfway through the grand prix I hear a load of noise in the hallway so I go out to see what's going on. She has half the cupboard emptied and is in a mood because she's having to do it even though I said I would.

I don't know what planet people are on some times

Found your issue

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I mean you know the history of this statue right?

They campaigned and campaigned and campaigned to remove it, via democracy, via soft action, and they kept getting shut down by a shadowy group who run the council.

The worst example was dissidents softened the campaign to get it removed, and compromised on a plaque with wording written by the students at the local school named after the guy and even that was shut down by this shadowy society.

If all peaceful and democratic means have been shit down aggressively and undemocratically, what else can be done?

not sure about the shadowy group you refer to yeah I know the history of the statue ...  but my objection was to the how  (and the subsequent acquittal )

if you followed the case they essentially argued they were expressing their right to freedom of expression , but by expressing their right of Fof E they essentially denied every other person that very same right  ..it's entirely possible that not one person was in favour of that statue (A concerted effort by 38 Degrees on this statue , managed to only gain 11,000 signatures , it hardly suggests a burning desire by the public to be rid of the statue ) ... but by chucking it in the harbour they denied others their own freedom of expression.

as I  said its a slow process , but if you let mob rule decide what is and isn't right , then what happens when someone decides they want to express their freedom of expression by destroying something that they  believe  constitutes an offence ( another reason put forward by the defence) ..now lets imagine its something that you and lots of other don't find offensive , would you still be on their side ?  

its why they should have been convicted  , even if it was community service , in the hope that it deters the next person who doesn't realise frees speech has its limits 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

and they kept getting shut down by a shadowy group who run the council.

This bit isn't true. It wasn't "people who run the council" iirc it was a Local Historical Society who were part of a council run consultation

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We're having a gas inspection today. Landlord and gas man come round, check all the gas appliances, and also check the gas meter thingamajig which is in the storage cupboard in the hall. It won't happen until today at some point after 1pm

As a result we had to clear out the cupboard yesterday so they had access when they arrive today. No big deal

We'd discussed it several times. I assured her I was going to do it. Several times. 

The F1 was on at 2pm yesterday so I said as soon as that was finished I'd do it. It would only take half an hour. No problem. There's literally no rush. We're not doing anything else for the rest of the day, no stress.

Halfway through the grand prix I hear a load of noise in the hallway so I go out to see what's going on. She has half the cupboard emptied and is in a mood because she's having to do it even though I said I would.

I don't know what planet people are on some times

Sometimes it's good to know its not just me shit like this happens to

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sometimes it's good to know its not just me shit like this happens to

She seems to struggle with things not being done the second she asks about it. 

The annoying thing is if she asked "Can you do it now?" I probably would. Or if when I said "yeah I'll do it this afternoon", she said "could you do it sooner please?" I probably would as well.

But when there's absolutely no reason for it to be done early, as long as it's done in time, I really don't get it. It's her **** fault the cupboard is so messy anyway!

Meh

Edited by Stevo985

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

She seems to struggle with things not being done the second she asks about it. 

The annoying thing is if she asked "Can you do it now?" I probably would. Or if when I said "yeah I'll do it this afternoon", she said "could you do it sooner please?" I probably would as well.

But when there's absolutely no reason for it to be done early, as long as it's done in time, I really don't get it. It's her **** fault the cupboard is so messy anyway!

Meh

I have a bit of lost in translation thrown in for good measure

Its not "can you do this please" it's "I think we should do this" 

Then it's followed by the expectation that it's done that very second and my clock is very different from hers but then the absolute worst for me personally "that's not how I'd do it" I've got in the unfortunate habit now of being a word removed, when she utters those words I immediately drop everything say "go on then" and walk away 

I'm sure her parents are convinced that I'm lazy and I don't do anything - I am and I don't - but I'm not sure how much they know is because I don't entertain her bullshit anymore, I'm taking cleaning, driving, putting the washing on, emptying the bins, cooking and the big one for us is loading the dishwasher, if you're going to give me a running commentary on how to load a dishwasher you'll soon find me letting you do it yourself 

• Haha 2

Â