Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Being diagnosed with depression, realising I'm completely ignorant to mental health issues and struggling to understand why or how this has happened.

Quite a few people close to me have been impacted by depression. I was the same in terms of ignorance. It's a illness that is very difficult to understand. I still don't. 

The BBC are just so inept. Main news item tonight on the Bloody Sunday arrest, dated the event as 18th January, 1972. It was the 30th. I should know, it was my 18th birthday.

I know it's just how my brain works, chemically, and that makes it a lot easier to deal with.

Not meaning to be (too) mischievous, how do you know this?

Well, I say know, but what I mean is that I know it isn't caused by any external factor and I know I have always been that way, so there is no other logical reason why I feel that way from time to time. So I guess I should really say that I tell myself it's just the way my brain works, instead of staying awake all night wondering why :)

Being diagnosed with depression, realising I'm completely ignorant to mental health issues and struggling to understand why or how this has happened.

Sorry to hear that. I believe there are a few VT'ers who know a lot more about it than I, so I'm sure someone can give you some helpful advice. 

While I am fairly sure I don't suffer from depression, I am much more prone to feeling down for no apparent reason than I think most people are. I know it's just how my brain works, chemically, and that makes it a lot easier to deal with. Now, with depression it obviously isn't that simple but perhaps being aware is something that could help you deal with it better? 

Yeah there is that aspect of it, to be honest it's all caught me off guard somewhat, it's not something I ever expected to be told.

Sorry to hear that. I believe there are a few VT'ers who know a lot more about it than I, so I'm sure someone can give you some helpful advice. 

While I am fairly sure I don't suffer from depression, I am much more prone to feeling down for no apparent reason than I think most people are. I know it's just how my brain works, chemically, and that makes it a lot easier to deal with. Now, with depression it obviously isn't that simple but perhaps being aware is something that could help you deal with it better? 

Like a researcher and public speaker on the matter once described. The opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality. Feeling down is a sign you mind is healthy, in my opinion. Feeling nothing at all and having trouble doing the simplest of things however is a sign of depression.

Edited by tarjei
  • Like 1

Like a researcher and public speaker on the matter once described. The opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality. Feeling down is a sign you mind is healthy, in my opinion. Feeling nothing at all and having trouble doing the simplest of things however is a sign of depression.

Like a researcher and public speaker on the matter once described. The opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality. Feeling down is a sign you mind is healthy, in my poinion. Feeling nothing at all and having trouble doing the simplest of things however is a sign of depression.

Quoting issues. 

Excellent point, Tarjei. Indeed, I do not suffer from depression (although when I wrote 'down' I didn't really mean just 'sad'). I hope my post didn't come across as trying to say I know what it's like to be suffering from depression or indeed any kind of mental illness. I was only trying to say that being aware of an issue can be helpful in dealing with it :)

• Like 1

Well, I say know, but what I mean is that I know it isn't caused by any external factor and I know I have always been that way, so there is no other logical reason why I feel that way from time to time. So I guess I should really say that I tell myself it's just the way my brain works, instead of staying awake all night wondering why :)

Fair enough. I was getting more at the 'chemically' bit but I understand, I believe, what you mean in the post above.

Edited by snowychap

Quoting issues. 

Excellent point, Tarjei. Indeed, I do not suffer from depression (although when I wrote 'down' I didn't really mean just 'sad'). I hope my post didn't come across as trying to say I know what it's like to be suffering from depression or indeed any kind of mental illness. I was only trying to say that being aware of an issue can be helpful in dealing with it :)

No, not at all, bud, and I guess it takes on different form for different people. It was just that when I heard that phrase for the first time I thought - Yes, that's it. That's exactly it. Many people tend to confuse depression with other states, and describing it as a lack of vitality makes it so much clearer. And yes, being aware of it makes life a bit easier. I used to feel so much guilt and shame, before I knew what it was. It also helps to know that it's temporary and will pass. For many it will probably come back again too, but it will pass.

Below is the ted-talk with the researcher I quoted, if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL_LQbrcVQM
  • Like 1

So planned a trip to Cheltenham with 3 other of the lads, they'd all have an interest in racing but I'm on a different level, sorted everything from the best flights to accommodation. We all agree as we are only racing the Saturday (I wanted to go 3 days)  that we'd get the best tickets, which at the time were £35. Said we should book the tickets when we were sorting it but was told "we've just paid for flights we'll get them next week.".

Grand. So the next week, I say will we book the tickets get no reply. Yesterday one of the lads gets onto me to see if I booked mine i said no, and I wasn't at this stage as they post them out and being in Ireland didn't want to risk it, my friend tells me the £35 are gone up to £40, which is their price on the day, my other says these are too expensive (gone up £5 from the agreed price) and we should go for ones in the Best mate enclosure which are £15. The worst part is he is in reading so didn't even have to book a flight, just a train.

I've had to get onto my friend from college who works in Paddy Power who are sponsoring the day to see if he can give me tickets. I mean why go if you aren't going to do it properly. Just remember then this evening back during the rose of tralee, I got 3 tickets off my cousin for the nightclub after the show which were €20 each, there was 5 of us so i took one and said the other 4 just pay 10 each, this lad who wants the £15 tickets, grabbed a ticket off me and was adamant he wasn't giving anyone €10, what is wrong with people.

Anyway, haven't been on in a bit, hope everyones doing well. #UTV

Edited by Folski

Just remember then this evening back during the rose of tralee, I got 3 tickets off my cousin for the nightclub after the show which were €20 each, there was 5 of us so i took one and said the other 4 just pay 10 each, this lad who wants the £15 tickets, grabbed a ticket off me and was adamant he wasn't giving anyone €10, what is wrong with people.

tumblr_npy8lefzxC1tz81dwo1_400.gif

• Like 1

All very good reading re: depression and your experiences and such. Nice one VT you lovely lot x

I was going to helpfully suggest you just buck up your ideas and cheer up.

Then decided to leave it a day in case it was 'too soon' and you didn't spot the awesome black humour. I think enough time and proper advice has now passed.

So, medically speaking, just cheer up a bit.

There, Dr Chris has spoken. You can pull your trousers back up now.

• Like 2

All very good reading re: depression and your experiences and such. Nice one VT you lovely lot x

I was going to helpfully suggest you just buck up your ideas and cheer up.

Then decided to leave it a day in case it was 'too soon' and you didn't spot the awesome black humour. I think enough time and proper advice has now passed.

So, medically speaking, just cheer up a bit.

There, Dr Chris has spoken. You can pull your trousers back up now.

Never too soon for black humour mate :)

• Like 1

my mum has been on medication since her late teens and so has my missus,also ive had other family members who have had it quite bad too. living with someone who suffers with it i can say i still dont understand it and at times ive been very ignorant to it instead of being supportive. anyway chin up fella and stay away from villa park because that seriously does not help :)

The main problem with Depression is where do you draw the line between having a bad day/week/month and deciding you genuinely have a problem.

I think they have gotten it all wrong in America where at the first sign of anything unusual you get dosed up to the eyeballs with meds, doesn't matter whether you are 5 or 50, its the same solution for everyone.

• Like 2

So planned a trip to Cheltenham with 3 other of the lads, they'd all have an interest in racing but I'm on a different level, sorted everything from the best flights to accommodation. We all agree as we are only racing the Saturday (I wanted to go 3 days)  that we'd get the best tickets, which at the time were £35. Said we should book the tickets when we were sorting it but was told "we've just paid for flights we'll get them next week.".

Grand. So the next week, I say will we book the tickets get no reply. Yesterday one of the lads gets onto me to see if I booked mine i said no, and I wasn't at this stage as they post them out and being in Ireland didn't want to risk it, my friend tells me the £35 are gone up to £40, which is their price on the day, my other says these are too expensive (gone up £5 from the agreed price) and we should go for ones in the Best mate enclosure which are £15. The worst part is he is in reading so didn't even have to book a flight, just a train.

I've had to get onto my friend from college who works in Paddy Power who are sponsoring the day to see if he can give me tickets. I mean why go if you aren't going to do it properly. Just remember then this evening back during the rose of tralee, I got 3 tickets off my cousin for the nightclub after the show which were €20 each, there was 5 of us so i took one and said the other 4 just pay 10 each, this lad who wants the £15 tickets, grabbed a ticket off me and was adamant he wasn't giving anyone €10, what is wrong with people.

Ah yes, time to roll this one out again...

Â