Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I've tried to get into Football Manager but it just isn't the same. I don't know if it's because I'm too old or whether the game has become that polished it is no longer fun to play.

Thissety thissety this this.  I think it's a bit of both in my case.  I can't in good conscience give hours and hours to playing a computer game but with the new versions of that particular game I get the impression to play it properly and get the most out of it would take hours between games too.

In the original it was 433 bring in the wingers, job's a good'un.  Up the leagues you go.

I played a lot of CM. Was always tickled when I had players that the REAL Villa subsequently signed, e.g. Mark Draper & Julian Joachim.

The new editions of Football Manager genuinely aren't as fun anymore. They've ratcheted up the complexity year on year to the extent that the thing is now basically a plate spinning simulator. I played one of the latest editions recently and couldn't make it past a preseason, it's just no longer fun. They hit a great compromise with the early FM releases, more realistic than the old Champ Manager games, but not so daftly complex it's life a second job.

• Like 1

Agreed I gave one of the new releases a try last year after being a lover back in the days. I played for about 2 hours realised I was still some way off getting out of pre season and caught a quick glimpse of myself in the mirror.

Then I put the bunny back in the box and learnt a growing up lesson.

If you've got a smartphone, try the handheld version.

In my experience it's a nice compromise. Much MUCH simpler than the full versions. I can't get into the full versions of the new ones either. The Handheld ones are still as addictive as ever.

What kind of spoilt it was when they introduced the 2D and then 3D action. When you just had the bar telling you what happened it let your imagination run free, whereas watching the game made the glitches that more obvious. By the tenth time I watched my full back take a throw in straight to their forward who ran and scored I wanted to kill myself as I knew it was going to happen again and again for eternity.

If you've got a smartphone, try the handheld version.

In my experience it's a nice compromise. Much MUCH simpler than the full versions. I can't get into the full versions of the new ones either. The Handheld ones are still as addictive as ever.

No, you may have ruined my life with this suggestion.  I'm not trying them.  For the same reason that it's advisable never to try heroin even once.

Football Manager might be my only reason for buying a new laptop when my current one packs up, otherwise I'd get a tablet.

I gave the handheld one a go a few years ago, but going against what most people are saying in this thread, I found it a bit simple. I really enjoy diving into it for a good few hours and pretending it's my second job.  :D

Also, I don't have kids yet but I know that won't be far off, so I feel it's best to enjoy marathon FM sessions whilst I still can.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 2

yeah the handheld is simple, that's why I mentioned it.

For the people who find the full ones too complex to be fun these days, the handheld is a bit of a throwback to the old games. Much more pick up and play style as opposed to investing 4 hours of your evening into setting your lineup for a pre-season friendly.

As far as I can tell there are no in app purchases. if there are then they certainly aren't needed to play the game.

It'll cost you about £5 from memory, which is a lot for a phone game. But that's all it will cost you.

As far as I can tell there are no in app purchases. if there are then they certainly aren't needed to play the game.

It'll cost you about £5 from memory, which is a lot for a phone game. But that's all it will cost you.

or will it  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

• Like 2

Â