Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I met some norwegian girls on a night out once.

After a while one of them asked me if I knew any famous Norwegians.

I obviously responded with John Carew.

They had no idea who I was talking about. 

After some detailed describing of who he was, one of them exclaimed "OH! You mean Yunn Kah-rev?"

Doesn't have the same ring to it.

I miss him

My mate is going out with a Dutch girl, and she pronounces "Vlaar", "Flaar", and "van Persie", "van Pershie".

After some detailed describing of who he was, one of them exclaimed "OH! You mean Yunn Kah-rev?"

I miss him

My mate is going out with a Dutch girl, and she pronounces "Vlaar", "Flaar", and "van Persie", "van Pershie".

Sounds like she has a speech impediment.

With names, I think the rule would generally be how they pronounce it.

If you met a french guy and they told you their name was Thierry or David or Michelle you wouldn't call them Terry or Dave or Michael/Mike just because you're English.

oh yes i would  :D

Not strictly on topic, but a friend of mine (!) was staying on holiday on a small island and the small number of others there were Italian speakers.

Every morning, when the Italians walked past, he would shout a cheery 'il meo nome' or some such. Thinking he was shouting a variation on 'hi! fellow holiday maker, good day!'

First day he didn't get much of a reaction, but through the week more and more people took to the greeting and gave raucous call and response, even at an evening BBQ they all attended. Everyone calling 'il meo nome e'

Turns out later, all week he'd been meeting people, passing by people on the beach or leaving parties etc., and shouting 'my name is'.

On a lads weekend in Krakow we'd been in this bar for a few hours and as we were about to leave my mate wanted to say goodbye to the bar staff and locals we'd be chatting with

for reasons best known to himself he asked me " What's Polish for Goodbye " ... having worked with a Polish guy for a few years I rather helpfully  knew the Polish for " **** you " *  ..so told this to my friend , who rather loudly shouted it out to everybody as he gave a cheery wave  ....  there was a sorta stunned silence followed by much laughter once they all realised what had happened   ..

it's great when you can pull it off  , needless to say I don't' get asked for foreign translations very often  ....

* i won't try and trick the swear filter here so use your imagination

Swedish VTers? Gothenburg is something like 'Yutterborg', no?

Göteborg Although in that example he's somewhat overdoing it. Should be a bit snappier.

Someone needs to tell Batman he's pronouncing it wrong

• Like 1

I miss him

Chant ruined.

I miss him

I know a Dutch bloke who pronounces QPR as Queens Park Raisins.

That made me chuckle more than it probably should have.

John Carew, Carew

He's better than Phil and Nev

Plays cricket like Kapil Dev

John Carew, Carew

Nice cricket reference. I approve.

Â