Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

8pints, is this like that time you convinced me to give money to your charity, which was actually some pyramid scheme?

Hey man, that was going to work, you just didn't have the patience.

• Like 1

Tying in with what previous comments, the cost of living.  I'm in a catch 22 situation, I'm living and working in Birmingham for Colliers. I have to pay £350 a month (that is for rent bills and council tax) which is a real bitch. But if I live with my parents in Buckinghamshire I only have to pay £150 a month but there are no little or no jobs there.  

Absolute peanuts.  Although with this subject I'm getting a sense of.......

jFDDz3D.jpg

I need to be more careful.

• Like 1

My daughters and their partners are in that same bind, only the rent and power bills are a LOT more than a quarter of their income. Can't save for a deposit (wouldn't get a mortgage anyway, the way the banks are atm) so trapped into throwing away money on rent. 

We help them out as much as we can, but there's a limit. 

Why? :(

I rented from the age of 21-29, never bothered me in the slightest, never worked out how much I've actually "wasted" but I now live in a good house that I don't need to move from or upgrade, I've got plenty of friends that jumped on the ladder at 21 and are now stuck in houses too small to raise a family in or even worse a £150k flat that they'll lose a fortune on, I've also tuned in what I actually want from my house during the years of renting in terms of size, location, furniture, bills etc

If you know you're going to progress career and financially wise through your 20s then I think it's a good idea to rent 1st

• Like 1

Going back to Voiny's post, 25% of your disposable income on rent, utility bills and council tax is an extremely good ratio to be at. Most people are more likely to be closer or in excess of 50%. If you're picking up £1400pcm and £350 is your living costs, then you should be saving at least the same again, if not about £500 a month for your future (be it deposit for house, funds to travel world etc). How much are you saving?

You could go and live with your folks but what would that say about you? In your mid(?) 20's and going back to live at home. Hardly a step forward is it? I guess you need to stop seeing the money as wasted - utility bills, council tax etc will be there for the rest of your life so no point complaining! 25% of your net income for a roof, heat, electricity and a safe place to sleep is nothing really  :)

• Like 1

I am saving about £300ish a month, which is not good enough. Still wasting money on getting taxis to work when I'm feeling lazy and fast food, clothes I don't wear that much. To be honest I'm looking to stay in this house share for a while, so if I can get a promotion in the near future or a job that pays me more then £1400 after tax I will be happy. 

As for living with my folks again, that will never happen. After uni I went back and it was very difficult to adapt even though I get on with them. 

My daughters and their partners are in that same bind, only the rent and power bills are a LOT more than a quarter of their income. Can't save for a deposit (wouldn't get a mortgage anyway, the way the banks are atm) so trapped into throwing away money on rent.

After the banking crisis they reined in their loaning spree. It's back on again now, but only for those with money to start with. My kids and their partners are all in low paid insecure jobs, so no-one will grant them a mortgage.

After the banking crisis they reined in their loaning spree. It's back on again now, but only for those with money to start with. My kids and their partners are all in low paid insecure jobs, so no-one will grant them a mortgage.

In Singapore (and East Asian societies in general) there is little stigma attached to living with one's parents even when you're in your 30's. People in general only go house-hunting when they get married.

I'd much, much prefer having my own place to living with my parents, of course, but that's more to do with the fact that I don't have a very good relationship with my parents (particularly mom) and less to do with social expectations.

350 a month for rent and bills is absolute peanuts.

I'd advise you to enjoy that as much as possible while you can.

I pay about a grand in mortgage and bills per month and I live in a shit house in Sheldon.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I pay about a grand in mortgage and bills per month and I live in a shit house in Sheldon.

In where?

jim-parsons.gif?c33c81

• Like 1

In Singapore (and East Asian societies in general) there is little stigma attached to living with one's parents even when you're in your 30's. People in general only go house-hunting when they get married.

I'd much, much prefer having my own place to living with my parents, of course, but that's more to do with the fact that I don't have a very good relationship with my parents (particularly mom) and less to do with social expectations.

Cohabiting, married, same thing. They're both couples, need their own space. We get along fine, but they don't want to live with us, and frankly we don't want them here either! They live nearby though, and call round now and then (coming for Sunday dinner today).

Is it council tax on top of that too?

nah including council tax.

Basically everything I spend on the house in terms of "bills" (mortgage, bills, house insurance, mortgage insurance, council tax, TV license etc etc)

nah including council tax.

Basically everything I spend on the house in terms of "bills" (mortgage, bills, house insurance, mortgage insurance, council tax, TV license etc etc)

I think mine is about similar as well. I wish it was £350 all in like Voiny! I'd be living like a Lord! 

Looking to move into the city within the next year or so.

Where is good to live? I can pay up to 500 a month really with bills.

Some nice flats by Brindley Place and Millennium Point but a bit pricey. If you're looking for house shares Edgbaston is your best bet. Prices range from £300-£450.

Â