Hiroshi Kiyotake (1. FC Nuremberg)

Wes

Kee-yo-tah-kee

More like:

Kee-yo-tah-keh  =)

Yeah I was gonna add that nuance after I'd posted, but figured it'd add to the confusion (which is easily done in here ;) ...).

Everyone has a price.

But we are not willing to pay.

How do you know?

Common sense.
Could you elaborate on that? I fail to see how it's common sense to assume that we aren't willing to pay what they want when we have hardly any credible information on it.

You said every player had their price. That might be true but it is a pointless statement. More important is what we are willing to pay. We are shopping on a much reduced budget these days and this guy is like their Benteke.

Saying we will just pop over and buy him for 6-8m is the same attitude as the Liverpool fans saying they will snap up Benteke for £15m this summer.

They will want a massive fee for their star player who only arrived last summer and we are not in the business of offering massive fees anymore.

I never claimed that we'd get him for £6-8m or that we would be willing to pay that. All I'm saying is that it's silly to be saying that we won't pay when a. we don't know how much they want and b. we don't know whether we would be willing to pay it. All we know is that there's interest from our side.

They will want a massive fee for their star player who only arrived last summer and we are not in the business of offering massive fees anymore.

But history would suggest that an acceptable or "massive" fee for them doesn't necessarily equate to us having to break our bank.  Klose went for €6m, Wollscheid sold for €7m and Gündogan (who was one of the hottest prospects at the time) left for under €6m.  1.FCN don't hold out for overly inflated fees as their recruitment policy is one of frugality.  Their most expensive signing was a mere €2.5m, for example.  

Of course they'd rather not sell one of their best players, but that's never stopped it happening before and I'd wager an offer of around £7-8m (where they would stand to make a ninefold return after one year) would result in some serious moustache-twizzling over at Nürnberg HQ.

• Like 1

Different context there, what Gareth is saying currently he is 'Not for Sale' however there best players have been sold in a price range of 5 to 10million Euros and what he is saying that it will possibly be a similar fee that will get them thinking for this player.

Of course, let's remember that this is all on the assumption we're even interested.  You know what Lambert's like, whilst we're all salivating over Kiyotake he'll pop on a mildly racist disguise, sneak off to some random beach in Okinawa and go fishing for the next Godzilla.

I haven't seen much of Kiyotake but my guess is he's probably not quite as good as Benteke, so I don't really see why these comparisons are even relevant.

No he is not in the same bracket as Benteke and will not cost £30m+ to buy but the comparison is still relevant. Their fans will be on their version of Villatalk scoffing at our supposed £4m bid the same as we would scoff at a £12-15m bid for Benteke and it seem their owners are thinking the same thing.

He has only been at the club a season and had a very good year. It will most likely take a club record for them to sell him. Would we be willing to pay that much? We haven't payed big money for transfers for quite a while now so I am sceptical.

Edited by LondonLax

I haven't seen much of Kiyotake but my guess is he's probably not quite as good as Benteke, so I don't really see why these comparisons are even relevant.

No he is not in the same bracket as Benteke and will not cost £30m+ to buy but the comparison is still relevant. Their fans will be on their version of Villatalk scoffing at our supposed £4m bid the same as we would scoff at a £12-15m bid for Benteke and their owners likewise.

He has only been at the club a season and had a very good year. It will most likely take a club record for them to sell him. Would we be willing to pay that much? We haven't payed big money for transfers for quite a while now so I am sceptical.

I agree that we won't be spending massive transfer fees on anyone. Perhaps the talk about a release clause in his contract is true though?

Of course, let's remember that this is all on the assumption we're even interested. You know what Lambert's like, whilst we're all salivating over Kiyotake he'll pop on a mildly racist disguise, sneak off to some random beach in Okinawa and go fishing for the next Godzilla.

It does surprise me that more prem teams don't take the punt on players direct from the J and K leagues. Would there be visa issues or do you think premier league clubs are worried the jump would be too great?

Of course, let's remember that this is all on the assumption we're even interested. You know what Lambert's like, whilst we're all salivating over Kiyotake he'll pop on a mildly racist disguise, sneak off to some random beach in Okinawa and go fishing for the next Godzilla.

It does surprise me that more prem teams don't take the punt on players direct from the J and K leagues. Would there be visa issues or do you think premier league clubs are worried the jump would be too great?

Yeah, that Hulk fella worked out pretty well for Porto

But history would suggest that an acceptable or "massive" fee for them doesn't necessarily equate to us having to break our bank.  Klose went for €6m, Wollscheid sold for €7m and Gündogan (who was one of the hottest prospects at the time) left for under €6m.  1.FCN don't hold out for overly inflated fees as their recruitment policy is one of frugality.  Their most expensive signing was a mere €2.5m, for example.  

Of course they'd rather not sell one of their best players, but that's never stopped it happening before and I'd wager an offer of around £7-8m (where they would stand to make a ninefold return after one year) would result in some serious moustache-twizzling over at Nürnberg HQ.

That's some serious football knowledge right there man.

Lets hope so but if you consider our club for a minute. Our record sell is 20m for downing but do you think we would sell if a club offered us that for Benteke?

Was Milner not £24m? Or are you counting it as £16m & Ireland?

Lets hope so but if you consider our club for a minute. Our record sell is 20m for downing but do you think we would sell if a club offered us that for Benteke?

Yeah it probably was Milner, though I suppose that depends on how much Ireland was worth :P

Yeah it probably was Milner, though I suppose that depends on how much Ireland was worth :P

Lets not start that debate again ;)

thats 1 player. for every Hulk their is a Junichi Inamoto

the leagues are probably not physical enough to make direct jump and probably hard to get work permits

Sure, but that logic can be applied to any league and any team.

For every Cristiano Rolando there is a Bebe.

Hulk is far from the only special player to more from the J-League to europe in recent seasons

No one knew Benteke would have the kind of debut he had for us last year when we signed him - he'd only just broken into the full Belgian side, but he was full of promise. Kiyotake would come from a bit of a more competitive league and has starred at the Olympics (to whatever extent you value international competitions), but similarly is just a prospect at this point in his career. Kiyotake might be a bit more strategic to our kit sponsor and our mktg efforts - but even in those cases, its an investment you make knowing an explosion in merchandising/tourism/interest in Japan is likely dependent on him delivering at Villa. So risk in terms of fee will prob be a touch higher, and the potential reward likewise. We should be clear that Kiyotake is known in Japan, but this isn't the kit sale bonanza you'd expect from Kagawa or Honda...yet because those guys were trailblazers and today half the Japanese squad plays in Germany so the novelty isn't the same. 

I think its an apt comparison to Benteke. I think what matters is that if you place the bet you put it on the right position on the field and it looks like here we would be doing that. 

Edited by ryu.yokoi
  • Like 1