Where will we finish ?

motd2 extra on bbc2 now, panel unanimous in there predictions that the likely team to get sucked into the bottom 3 will be villa, one even saying we will go down

We heard the same last season, nothing new. We will not go down. This should provide more motivation for the lads.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

We have been very fortunate the last two seasons to stay up really.

I never really thought we'd go down in the McLeish year until we lost at home to Bolton which seemed a death knell result but we somehow survived.

At this stage last season we've just lost 1-0 at home to Southampton and I along with 99% of people thought we would go down. We were in a far worse state last season than this.

Really we need 4 wins from 18 games, it's not a lot when you look at is it? And yes you didn't imagine it, we did actually beat Sunderland in the league last time out.

• Like 2

Interesting reading back in the thread - most people said they'd be happy with 12th or so, yet we find ourselves 11th and 90% of people seem to be upset.

Is the season over?

Good point. Maybe we can finish higher than 12th.

motd2 extra on bbc2 now, panel unanimous in there predictions that the likely team to get sucked into the bottom 3 will be villa, one even saying we will go down

I didn't hear anyone say that specifically. Steve WIlson did say having seen us this season he was surprised we are as high as we are. I have to say having been to all our home games and a fair few away I am also surprised, but very thankful, we are as high as we are.

Personally, without bringing two or three quality experienced players at this level in over the next couple of weeks, I would be amazed if we finished 11th. I'd say without those 2 or 3 signings 14th and below would be far more likely.

• Like 1

Last year I was in Liverpool and went to a match between Everton and Sunderland ( FA cup 1-1)

I have never tried it before but I tried to watch and support Everton as if it was my beloved villa.

Now when I watch the villa I am usually shocked by the poor passing and lack of creativity and so on.

But watching Everton I realized that they were even worse than us. They didn't have any ideas and, there and then, I realized that we (the villa) are not as bad as we all believe. Believe me that day Everton were crap and Sunderland were even worse.

Obviously Everton are doing ok right now. But I believe we are better than, Norwich, Fulham, Palace, Sunderland, Cardiff, WBA, West Ham, and Stoke.

Swansea may be better than us we will finish 12.

Have faith, I guess most you think that England are crap too. They are not as bad as you think.

• Like 1

Good points Danishlad. I think we are prone to filtering and catastrophising because we are so emotionally entangled with the club. I have read many times, nearly every season, that "this is the worst Villa team I have ever seen", it makes me laugh a lot.

• Like 1

Well some of our counter attacking goals have been fantastic

I agree. Manchester United were a counter attacking side and they dominated the Premiership. I have no issue with how we counter against teams, I think it is great to watch.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

To be honest there's generally very fine lines between a position like 12th and third bottom. We probably will get 'sucked' into it at some point and will at times be looking over our shoulders.

It's paramount that we bring in that extra quality this window because our team is pretty poor as it stands, not only is their a lack of experience throughout, but a worrying lack of ability there.

Yes, but try playing pretty with these players and there's no future, in premier league.

Our best period under Lambert was when we tried to play good football.

So why doesn't it work anymore?

We don't have a capable midfield, and therefore we play like we do.

• Like 1

Well some of our counter attacking goals have been fantastic

I agree. Manchester United were a counter attacking side and they dominated the Premiership. I have no issue with how we counter against teams, I think it is great to watch.

MU did both... you can't win the PL without being able to break a team down that 'parks the bus'. Besides, when two out-and-out counter attacking teams get together it can result in the most boring games imaginable.

Â