Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

12 minutes ago, a m ole said:

To what, let’s all be disgusted by Newcastle United?

Maybe, its as accurate as anything.  But there is nothing to laugh at about their owners and there will be nothing funny about the money they spend. 

Maybe in the early days it will be slightly  amusing to see them overspend on moderately decent players but once they get into groove it will be like having a thread called let's all laugh at Man Citeh. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

Just now, sidcow said:

Maybe, its as accurate as anything.  But there is nothing to laugh at about their owners and there will be nothing funny about the money they spend. 

Maybe in the early days it will be slightly  amusing to see them overspend on moderately decent players but once they get into groove it will be like having a thread called let's all laugh at Man Citeh. 

I think we can all agree, if it fails miserably there will be absolutely 0 negatives.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if the really really top players want to be associated with taking money from that regime won't it. 

They can earn eye watering amounts of money playing elsewhere. There will be criticism without question.  I'm sure some will but others will probably think it's not worth the hassle. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I would not invest in Saudi Arabia, says Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris

KEY POINTS
  • "Personally, I can invest anywhere in the world, why would I go somewhere where I am not convinced there is a rule of law and order. And that there is real democracy, and that people are free," Sawiris told CNBC at the MENA Summit 2019 in Abu Dhabi organized by the Milken Institute.
  • He called on Saudi Arabia to "come straight on human rights."
  • There had been much international uproar surrounding the killing of prominent U.S. based journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who disappeared last October after visiting the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/egyptian-billionaire-naguib-sawiris-would-not-invest-in-saudi-arabia-.html

Full article in link.

This is from a couple of years ago by the way. 

I wonder if this makes us a " target " 🤔👀.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It will be interesting to see if the really really top players want to be associated with taking money from that regime won't it. 

They can earn eye watering amounts of money playing elsewhere. There will be criticism without questions.  I'm sure some will but others will probably think it's not worth the hassle. 

Erling Haaland recently wore a tshirt about boycotting Qatar World Cup. Be interesting if he would go Newcastle 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I would not invest in Saudi Arabia, says Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris

• "Personally, I can invest anywhere in the world, why would I go somewhere where I am not convinced there is a rule of law and order. And that there is real democracy, and that people are free,"

Pretty bold claims for an Egyptian who continued to invest locally, tbh

So the 19 clubs are united in opposition to the deal and have demanded an "emergency meeting" with PL hierarchy to discuss why it wasn't brought to the clubs first.

I've been told more times than I can count that ["the Premier League hierarchy is made up of the CEOs or appointed representatives of the 20 member clubs"] and that when it comes to decision-making everyone gets a fair shake at it.

Evidently that's bullshit. Which we already knew.

Just now, est1874 said:

So the 19 clubs are united in opposition to the deal and have demanded an "emergency meeting" with PL hierarchy to discuss why it wasn't brought to the clubs first.

I've been told more times than I can count that ["the Premier League hierarchy is made up of the CEOs or appointed representatives of the 20 member clubs"] and that when it comes to decision-making everyone gets a fair shake at it.

Evidently that's bullshit. Which we already knew.

They don't get a say in who takes over other clubs.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . claims made on a panel in Abu Dhabi, no less.

That explains it, I wondered if he had an axe to grind, or just had selective blindness about his own nation, but it's just good old fashioned financial interest :D 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They don't get a say in who takes over other clubs.

The Premier League does though. It performs fit and proper persons tests on all propsective owners, supposedly. So if what you're saying is true - who is "the Premier League", in constituent terms, in this scenario?

Edited by est1874

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

The PL performs fit and proper persons tests on all propsective owners, supposedly. So if what you're saying is true - who is "the PL", in constituent terms, in this scenario?

A side point, but I'd be interested to know which parties the owners test was applied to. Since they super duper promised that the club wouldn't be controlled by SA, I assume the crown prince himself wasn't considered, although the ownership of the murder jet ought to rule out the investment fund itself.

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The Premier League does though. It performs fit and proper persons tests on all propsective owners, supposedly. So if what you're saying is true - who is "the Premier League", in constituent terms, in this scenario?

The Premier League is an organisation who do the fit and proper persons tests among other things. Separately, there are meetings where certain things about the league are decided (not 'who can own X club', for which there is an obvious conflict of interest), which are the meetings in which each club has a vote.

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A side point, but I'd be interested to know which parties the owners test was applied to. Since they super duper promised that the club wouldn't be controlled by SA, I assume the crown prince himself wasn't considered, although the ownership of the murder jet ought to rule out the investment fund itself.

Yes, I want to know this as well.

I don’t think Newcastle’s rise will be anything like PSG and Man City’s. You just can’t do that anymore with FFP. Yes they will no longer be a relegation candidate each season and will most likely become a midtable team pushing for top 6. But not much better than that anytime soon in my opinion.

Â