Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Simon Jordan making some very interesting points on Talksport this morning. Basically saying Newcastle could drop £500 million on players in January and not be in FFP trouble because they have been run at a profit for years. They have three years to sort out the FFP. So I think it's obvious we have and the Man City on our hands and we will have to get used to Newcastle challenging for titles. I suppose the only silver lining is that there are only so many elite players so the more clubs that can afford them the more diluted their squads are, wishful thinking I suppose. 

One thing that came to mind if I was a sports journalist writing about Newcastle Utd I wouldn't accept any  invitations to any private meeting with the owners, especially at an embassy. 😬

52 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

This illustrates pretty well Ashley's way of running the club and why he was hated by the fans up there.

image.png.133b4f2b613f17a04be239543b66c460.png

Well, They have their Xmas now......I don't think anyones laughing now, outside of tyneside.

They are not just a bit wealthier than the rest of the owners in the prem'....they blitz them.

probably eclipse all of them put together.

it will be interesting, if nothing else.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

They are not just a bit wealthier than the rest of the owners in the prem'....they blitz them.

probably eclipse all of them put together.

it will be interesting, if nothing else.

Interesting? 

It will just be another PSG/Man City 

Nothing interesting about it. 

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Will be very interesting to see how Newcastle develop over the next 12/18 months in the first instance. Firstly, they need to become competitive in the league and establish themselves as a top ten team. That won’t be easy. We’ve spent best part of £300m plus since being back and are still fighting our way into that top tier. Once they do that, it’s breaking into the top six and staying there. Big ask with FFP in play as Leicester have found out for example.

They’ll need a massive overhaul of the training facilities, improved infrastructure across all youth teams etc, improved sponsorship and shirt deals, all of which takes time.  A “five year plan” is very ambitious as we have seen and heard all before.

Going back the first team currently, a change of manager is a must, if only to attract a better standard of player and to show they mean business. Conte?  Emery? Or dare I say, Bielsa?  Alternatively, would they go for a Gerrard, Lampard, Terry type? Doubtful though.

I can’t see many current players lasting in that squad more than a year or two either, apart from perhaps Saint-Maximin, Wilson, Lascelles? I can see them picking up some of the leagues best players outside of the top six clubs initially to get them stable, ie Pope, Tarkowski, Aarons, Ward-Prowse, Sarr, Zaha, Toney, adding to that a few talented young buys from across Europe, ie Kamara, Isak, Botman, Damsgaard, David.  These young players will come for the massively improved contract and improved profile.  However, if Newcastle fans think they’ll be signing £100m players in the first two, three or four years, I think they’re going to be disappointed.

It’s all very intriguing and something that I’m not jealous of. We’re in excellent hands right now and if any of our staff/players were poached, then at least we’re in a strong position to replace any of them.  At least it makes the current big six look over their shoulder and be concerned. Let the fun begin.

I agree.

If Chelsea, Man city can do it, why not another club too....It will be really interesting.

No doubt, some will get completely carried away, but to be fair, they have been like us for years, subdued, we can't blame them, getting excited.....It will be a big boost for the area, which is about time and it could be a huge help in the levelling up project.

It will follow, that many clubs will be poached for key staff and academies will be like a fox in the hen house.....many folk will be lured by the yenom.

I am always fascinated by the measure of owners wealth....it always strikes me, its not how much they own,( much wealth is in assets, not liquid) but more about how much they are willing to spend.....QPR have seriously rich owners?

Ashley, was more like uncle Herbert, in the way he ran things....just not rich enough in liquid form, even though he is a Billionaire in assets.

For us, its business as usual, we just have to keep doing what we are doing....be interested to know what our owners think ,though.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, a-k said:

What's the meltdown? Even if they can bend FFP rules, I would be shocked if we are seeing Haaland, Mbappe, Messi, etc signing there in the next couple years for 1mil pw

It's not just the players. It's academies, coaching staff, training facilities, commercial deals, immoral agents, referees - players are a an aspect of the whole machine. 

They're not nice but they're not Mugs.

35 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

MBS directly lobbied BoJo to get the deal approved - but somehow we are meant to believe they are separate entities 

I would think Bojo gets lobbied everyday, by all sorts of stuff.

After the financial fall out from Covid, the disruption of Brexit and the consequential national debt in its trillions.....I would guess he thinks a bit of outside investment in a targetted area of levelling up would go down just nicely.

I see the attraction, from his point of view....and I would think the "toon" might think the same.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

For the money they've got I'd demand to live somewhere else and get Choppered to and from the training ground every day.

Like Michael Owen used to, and also Anzhi in Russia that nobody lived near (and quickly went to shit).

Â