Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s time for them to knock the financial doping into overdrive…

and maybe the actual doping from what I’ve read.

What have you read? I'm forever looking for actual evidence of this alleged doping. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What have you read? I'm forever looking for actual evidence of this alleged doping. 

Nothing official. Just chatter online about how the Saudi's run a quite sophisticated program, the mysterious turnaround in results with the same exact players, which magically occured the moment the takeover went through, the premier leagues very shoddy rules, particularly around asthma medication.

It could all be conspiracy nonsense admittedly.

21 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Nothing official. Just chatter online about how the Saudi's run a quite sophisticated program, the mysterious turnaround in results with the same exact players, which magically occured the moment the takeover went through, the premier leagues very shoddy rules, particularly around asthma medication.

Again, there is doping and then there is illegal doping

WADA update their banned substance list once a year (I think in January) if a new product comes out in Feb then athletes are fine to use it for 11 months until the next list bans it

BBC did a documentary on it years ago on how the yank Olympic team employs doctors just for that reason, they were making their athletes rattle with pills that weren't yet banned 

Maybe Newcastle and Liverpool are doing the same, maybe they're not, but you can almost guarantee that they employ someone to ensure that whatever it is they are doing complies with the rules - and I'd be surprised if villa don't do the same, there will be a club doctor who knows full well what players can and can't take 

The documentary also covered the British winter olympian who got stripped of his medal because the vics nose spray that he used in whatever country he was in contained a banned substance whereas the "same" product in the UK doesn't, someone at these PL clubs will be monitoring that kind of detail 

Wilson didn't like getting some banter from the Spurszzz keeper, oh dearie me. :crylaugh:

We should keep in mind he can't hack a bit of verbal for the return fixture, always assuming he ain't on the treatment table again

4 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

The magical transformation of Aston Villa once they hired Emery and bought some good players.

It must be the doping.

• Like 1

People question Newcastle because their squad isn't that good, beyond Pope, Botman, Guimarães, and Isak, it's barely midtable quality, Livramento and Gordon are promising young players but weren't with them when they were doing well last season, also when you watch them play it doesn't look great as if to suggest the manager has some great tactical master plan, it kind of reminds me of how Moyes has West Ham playing, that is it's more about hard work and grinding out results.

I dont't say they're dope fiends, I don't know anthing about that, I think their form has been more about momentum than anything else, eventually that momentum will end, Howe will be a victim of his own success and lose his job, and i'm not convinced will go go on to be a great success elsewhere, unless maybe he gets the England job, in which case he will probably be able to do a similar job to what Southgate has done and then there are differing opintions as to whether that can be classed as a success

I think there has been an element of momentum to our good form, it plays a part in all good form to a degree, but more than Newcastle I thin our good form has been about good players, our squad is way better than Newcastles, I'm not even sure a single Newcastle player would get in our starting eleven, only a few would be of interest to other top six sides, and also we have a much better manager, as above watch what happens to Howe once he leaves the ambitous North East outfit, he will probably go on to be the next David Moyes or something.

Of course with their resources they will likely eventually have a genuine top quality squad and top manager but they haven't got that now and as such have been over achieving, and yes to a greater extent than we have

20 minutes ago, useless said:

People question Newcastle because their squad isn't that good, beyond Pope, Botman, Guimarães, and Isak, it's barely midtable quality, Livramento and Gordon are promising young players but weren't with them when they were doing well last season, also when you watch them play it doesn't look great as if to suggest the manager has some great tactical master plan, it kind of reminds me of how Moyes has West Ham playing, that is it's more about hard work and grinding out results.

I dont't say they're dope fiends, I don't know anthing about that, I think their form has been more about momentum than anything else, eventually that momentum will end, Howe will be a victim of his own success and lose his job, and i'm not convinced will go go on to be a great success elsewhere, unless maybe he gets the England job, in which case he will probably be able to do a similar job to what Southgate has done and then there are differing opintions as to whether that can be classed as a success

I think there has been an element of momentum to our good form, it plays a part in all good form to a degree, but more than Newcastle I thin our good form has been about good players, our squad is way better than Newcastles, I'm not even sure a single Newcastle player would get in our starting eleven, only a few would be of interest to other top six sides, and also we have a much better manager, as above watch what happens to Howe once he leaves the ambitous North East outfit, he will probably go on to be the next David Moyes or something.

Of course with their resources they will likely eventually have a genuine top quality squad and top manager but they haven't got that now and as such have been over achieving, and yes to a greater extent than we have

You’d have Newcastle fans saying the same thing about Villa players. They’ve got players who buy entirely into what Howe wants and some players (Joelinton in particular) who absolutely embody their style of play.

They’re a horrible team to play against; very aggressive, very tenacious and with plenty of pace up front.

You could take players who do well for us, and they’d completely struggle in Newcastle’s system (and vice-versa) which is why the “no players would get into our side” stuff falls down so often.

They have had a number of injuries and struggled with playing in the champions league and being competitive in  the Premier League. The last two games they hsve looked knackered. No.energy in the team at all. Also the big signing Tonali. Due diligence couldn't have been done there. 

Tbh its not the recruitment the injuries have decimated them. I think even we would struggle with that volume of injuries

I think full strength they are a decent team

Have to say as much as im nit a fan of them their recruitment style is a lot better than chelseas

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Tbh its not the recruitment the injuries have decimated them. I think even we would struggle with that volume of injuries

I think full strength they are a decent team

Have to say as much as im nit a fan of them their recruitment style is a lot better than chelseas

Their injury list has to at least partially be down to their style of play/training regime. I don't buy that this many injuries is purely down to 'bad luck'. Too much overlap with how Leeds were in 20/21 vs 21/22.
As for the strength of their squad, I honestly think that Howe got a lot of the players performing significantly above their level last season (due to maximizing energy levels and physicality) and now they're reverting to their normal standards a bit. I'd say that their first 11 is maybe top six? But as a whole the squad is 8-9th in terms of overall quality, I think (I'd put them in a similar bracket with Brighton and West Ham). Their signings make more sense than Chelsea's but that club is a basket-case and no-one (besides Cole Palmer) is performing well at the moment.

• Like 2

Â