Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

8 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

The problem is, I’m not sure that in a transfer window when Havertz was sold for 68 mil that selling ASM for approx 30 mil is that outrageous. It’s not like the Saudis are only buying from Newcastle. 

There’s all kinds of dodginess going on but I don’t think this is the deal that proves it.

We paid 38 million for Buendia a Championship player at the time then City paid 40 million for a donkey in Phillips. Is absolutely nothing to say Newcastle are wrong

• Like 1

The main difference between this Newcastle example and all those other examples cited (Udinese, Red Bull etc) is that in those other examples the clubs buying players were themselves subject to FFP so could not afford to overpay. 

With Saudi teams buying Newcastle’s castoffs there is theoretically no limit to the fee agreed. Having said that, the Saint Maximin transfer seems a reasonably fair price 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Al-whoever want ASM 'to better their team' as well, they're not going to pay him to drive the team bus. 

The entire narrative of this being "wrong" is that it helps Newcastle. Huddersfield buying Aaron Mooy gave not one single second of time trying to help Manchester City.

4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The main difference between this Newcastle example and all those other examples cited (Udinese, Red Bull etc) is that in those other examples the clubs buying players were themselves subject to FFP so could not afford to overpay. 

With Saudi teams buying Newcastle’s castoffs there is theoretically no limit to the fee agreed. Having said that, the Saint Maximin transfer seems a reasonably fair price 🤷‍♂️

I dunno - £30m seems pretty steep for him tbh. Based on output, that is. 

50 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Agree

But 2 years ago the English media were trying to flog him to a top 6 team for £50-60m, he's fallen off massively since and was never that good anyway but he was hugely overhyped

Values in football are nonsense across the board and there's so many daft transfers I think there'd be a hard time trying to argue the £30m is outlandish, Gordon was never worth what Newcastle paid for him and ASM has effectively worked out as 2/3 of that price, if back in the real world Nottingham Forest had bought him what would his value be? £20-25m? It's not like they've flogged a £5m reserve team player for £50m, they've maybe added 20% on top at worst

Nothing will happen here

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I’m not saying Maximin was a steal, just that £30m for an attacking forward from a top 4 club seems about the going rate these days. If he’d moved to another PL club the fee would not be commented on. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

I’m not saying Maximin was a steal, just that £30m for an attacking forward from a top 4 club seems about the going rate these days. If he’d moved to another PL club the fee would not be commented on. 

That's where I am too

You might get some "games gone mad" comments on social media but you wouldn't get calls for an investigation

Just now, jacketspuds said:

It's only a matter of time until Newcastle start selling players to Saudi clubs, and then loan them back for the entirety of their contract, all whilst contributing 0% to the players wages.

Would be against the loan rules

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Yeah I think on the surface the numbers in the ASM transfer seem absolutely fine.

The major concern will be if  they are able to offload deadwood at will. It's not so much about getting over inflated fees, it's more if they are able to clear unwanted wages off their books on demand.

• Like 3

Saint Maximin averages 3 goals a season. 

30 mill buys you a 3 goals a season player. 

Gotta be up there as the most overrated player in the prem. 

Newcastle payed 25 mill for him buts he's increased in value to 30 mill by averaging 3 goals a season. 

6 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Yeah I think on the surface the numbers in the ASM transfer seem absolutely fine.

The major concern will be if  they are able to offload deadwood at will. It's not so much about getting over inflated fees, it's more if they are able to clear unwanted wages off their books on demand.

Wait and see what happens in Jan if they aren’t in the European places and they need a big name loan from the Saudi leagues 

6 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Their deadwood is currently guys like Matt Targett, Jamal Lewis, Manquillo, Paul Dummett (I swear he's been at Newcastle since about 2008!) and Lascelles. Go months without seeing them and suddenly they make the odd cameo appearance off the bench.

Not like they can all put them on a one way flight to Riyadh as given Saudi's want to build a competitive top division they need players who can add value.

Chris Wood is actually one they did well to get off the books relatively quickly, now moved to Forest permanently despite being injured since March. They signed him when they were in a relegation battle with Burnley so weakened them massively even if he wasn't going to make much of an impact for them.

2 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Saint Maximin averages 3 goals a season. 

30 mill buys you a 3 goals a season player. 

Gotta be up there as the most overrated player in the prem. 

Newcastle payed 25 mill for him buts he's increased in value to 30 mill by averaging 3 goals a season. 

He is flashy and has YouTube tricks. I never rated him but some on here(some complaining about the price) suggested we blow a lot of the Grealish money on him as a replacement

Its a fair Premier League winger price. Alex Iwobi cost 40 million

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Bunch of dickhead thugs. Can’t wait to smash them in the league. 

Said it multiple times but refs need to clamp down on them. It’s amazing how much they get away with. With compete refs they’d struggle to maintain results especially the amount of fouling the likes of Burn, Bruno and Joelinton get away with. 

23 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Said it multiple times but refs need to clamp down on them. It’s amazing how much they get away with. With compete refs they’d struggle to maintain results especially the amount of fouling the likes of Burn, Bruno and Joelinton get away with. 

We wont get nothing at sty james park as you know their fans are going to put intense pressure on the ref 

We just need to better than them. Its going to be tough but even as afriendly we did well with a team that is no where near fulk strength 

Â