Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So it sounds like The Premier League are looking at their ownership again after some American court has stated their Owners are defacto the Saudi Government, which they assured the Premier League they weren't. 

I doubt they're looking at it.  It's just been brought to light as Saudi lawyers - rather than an American court - stated that PIF/owners of are sitting members of the Saudi government and therefore not subject to usual legal procedure (words to that effect).

The Premier League will do **** all.

Edited by bobzy

13 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Hypothetically, if they are found to be state owned, what would happen?

They cant kick the owners out or force them to sell... surely?

They could order them to relinquish control of the club and set a deadline for the club to be sold, failure to meet that deadline would mean expulsion from the PL? I don't know, there's probably all sorts they can do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

They could order them to relinquish control of the club and set a deadline for the club to be sold, failure to meet that deadline would mean expulsion from the PL? I don't know, there's probably all sorts they can do.

Yes, this is how you'd do it. 'The current ownership are not fit & proper/have hidden who they are/have an established history of breaking the rules. We cannot dictate who owns a private business. But if the current ownership remains in charge at the registration day at the end of [next season], the club will not be able to register to compete in the league [the season after next] or any season thereafter.'

3 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

The rules basically give the PL discretion- they could easily kick them out if they don’t comply 

The premier league have updated their owners test, and it’s supposedly going to be done annually… surely the Newcastle (pif) owners will get booted out at some point… and they will just be left with Staveley and her husband. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

The premier league have updated their owners test, and it’s supposedly going to be done annually… surely the Newcastle (pif) owners will get booted out at some point… and they will just be left with Staveley and her husband. 

Really?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Yeah right. Like that would ever happen. The UK government does arms deals with them for goodness sake. Not a chance they would even consider sanctions against the Saudis.

Newcastle are owned by the state of Saudi Arabia in all but name, yet the Premier League and British government apparently have legally binding assurances that they aren't.

It's a total farce with many greedy little pigs with their snouts in the trough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yeah right. Like that would ever happen. The UK government does arms deals with them for goodness sake. Not a chance they would even consider sanctions against the Saudis.

Newcastle are owned by the state of Saudi Arabia in all but name, yet the Premier League and British government apparently have legally binding assurances that they aren't.

It's a total farce with many greedy little pigs with their snouts in the trough.

The Saudi government are not involved with Newcastle

The British government had to get involved to prove it

Same as Man City, **** all will happen over this

It's worth remembering that the deal was floundering, and then that Boris Johnson's government specifically stepped in to facilitate it (with encouragement from Newcastle's Labour MPs). It wasn't some hostile thing that happened against the government's wishes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's worth remembering that the deal was floundering, and then that Boris Johnson's government specifically stepped in to facilitate it (with encouragement from Newcastle's Labour MPs). It wasn't some hostile thing that happened against the government's wishes. 

Yeah I think that's often overlooked, there was friction in the first place from the prem and in my opinion their ownership is on shaky foundations. Not saying it'll collapse but if I was a fan of the club I'd be a bit anxious over this. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

They absolutely are.

You misunderstood my post... The prime minister of GB had to get involved... But there was no SA government involvement?

Of course they absolutely are

Boris was nowhere to be seen for any other club purchase, him sticking his nose in tells you everything you need to know

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You misunderstood my post... The prime minister of GB had to get involved... But there was no SA government involvement?

Of course they absolutely are

Boris was nowhere to be seen for any other club purchase, him sticking his nose in tells you everything you need to know

Ah got you now. 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Yeah I think that's often overlooked, there was friction in the first place from the prem and in my opinion their ownership is on shaky foundations. Not saying it'll collapse but if I was a fan of the club I'd be a bit anxious over this. 

I think you're right that the league didn't love it, but the problem is that applying too much scrutiny to them now runs the risk of creating a full-blown diplomatic incident. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think you're right that the league didn't love it, but the problem is that applying too much scrutiny to them now runs the risk of creating a full-blown diplomatic incident. 

Which in and of itself is an absolute **** farce.

• Like 3

Just watching the palace highlights on MOTD - it's not special or different but they applauded at whatever minutes in tribute to the young life of a supporter who sadly died. NUFC are owned by actual murderers. They cannot, ever, be part of the UK football family. 

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Exactly like Bournemouth under Howe, a horribly dirty side.

All their success is down to signing Botman and Guimaraes IMO. Nothing else.

Well, no. They’re 3rd in the league having conceded fewer goals than any other team. That isn’t purely because of Botman and Guimaraes. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Well, no. They’re 3rd in the league having conceded fewer goals than any other team. That isn’t purely because of Botman and Guimaraes. 

Yes it is. I just said.

• Haha 3

Â