Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

36 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah it's not for me to decide thankfully. Each to their own.

Having Villa owned by one of the worst regimes in the world and by a person who directly orders murder and wages a decimating war on their neighbors would be heart breaking.

Can't see me sticking around for that but I would no doubt still check the scores as it's a life long thing.

I don't judge Newcastle fans who are still fans; at the end of the day, it's a club, as you say a life-long attachment, and fans can both point to their presence before the ownership and after it, and can also point to many other moral hypocracries (we do loads of business witn KSA, the UAE is no better, on and on). However, I do judge those fans who eg were wearing keffiyehs in the street or who are vocally pro-Saudi government, as though that's now some kind of necessary aspect of being a Newcastle fan.

1 hour ago, OzyBoy said:

There are plenty of fans that are very uneasy about the ownership, but what do you do? Walk away? There are lots of business links between the UK and Saudi. Do we boycott them all? Is there a threshold below which it's acceptable for Saudis to invest in a company, but above which it's not?

Should we boycott clubs that are accepting Saudi money from Newcastle as transfer fees? Or once the money has passed from Newcastle to the selling club is it no longer blood money and the selling club can happily spend it on new players and the fan base can just ignore where it originally came from?

I'd rather have different investors, but we are where we are.

Are you a real person or a sponsored troll from a troll farm to go round the internet defending Newcastle from sportswashing accusations?

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Are you a real person or a sponsored troll from a troll farm to go round the internet defending Newcastle from sportswashing accusations?

Taking a moral argument to its extreme is the only way to break it down and look for its weaknesses. 

Do you have a car? Where do you get the petrol from? Are you funding the Saudi regime? 

It's not a question I'm asking you to answer. It's a ridiculous question. But moral hyperboles such as "I'd never support a club run by Saudis" are difficult to actually put into practice. 

Edited by Mic09

11 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

But moral hyperboles such as "I'd never support a club run by Saudis" are difficult to actually put into practice. 

Not arguing with that.

Just wondering if this guy is a real person. Have you seen the amount of bots City have to justify their total annihilation of football?

It's something I'd deploy for sure if I was a big baddie state.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It's an interesting point but there's a big difference between using a business and supporting a football club you love, knowing its being used for sportswashing. 

I'm glad it's not us because I genuinely think it would ruin my enjoyment of football. 20 years ago probably not but hard to ignore the shit in the world and then embrace more of it just so your club can win games. 

Yes - the big difference being it's probably very easy to toss the business aside compared to just chucking away your love of a football club.

17 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah it's not for me to decide thankfully. Each to their own.

Having Villa owned by one of the worst regimes in the world and by a person who directly orders murder and wages a decimating war on their neighbors would be heart breaking.

Can't see me sticking around for that but I would no doubt still check the scores as it's a life long thing.

That's totally understandable - I would much rather the club was owned by somebody else.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tomav84 said:

it really is a difficult one and i'm not sure how i'd feel. i think it's very easy for us to criticise and wonder why fans are not turning their back on the whole thing but could you imagine how difficult that would be? if i were a newcastle fan i think my view wouldve been along the lines of "glad we have new owners...wish it was someone else though". if they win the league will it seem hollow seeing as it's been as a result of saudi money? to some, maybe, but to most i doubt it.

i do wonder how i'd feel if i was an LGBTQ+ supporter, who'd literally be executed in the country of my football club's owners. could i continue to attend games? that would be tough.  @OzyBoy i know that the LGBTQ supporter group (cant remember what they're called) expressed concerns initially...do you know if there's been any dialogue with the new owners on that front?

Without diminishing the issues of the ownership, you have to understand the sheer relief of someone other than Ashley owning the club.

The club have openly supported the LGBQT+ community and the United With Pride supporters group has been a beneficiary of the official NUFC charity. The club, I think, is trying to have an identity beyond being Saudi owned by engaging with LGBTQ+ groups and the wider Newcastle community in general. It seems like the Saudis are allowing the board to run the club without political interference.

Who can say how long that will last, but so far the club has been really good at generating goodwill between it and the supporters.

17 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It's an interesting point but there's a big difference between using a business and supporting a football club you love, knowing its being used for sportswashing. 

I'm glad it's not us because I genuinely think it would ruin my enjoyment of football. 20 years ago probably not but hard to ignore the shit in the world and then embrace more of it just so your club can win games. 

It's degrees of tolerance - how much are you willing to support a business you know if at least part-funded by Saudi (or any other regime).

16 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Well I'm not defending Newcastle from sportswashing, I'm trying to explain why huge swathes of supporters haven't abandoned the club. The club and its relationship with the supporters has been transformed since the takeover. And it's not even due to huge amounts of money being spent. The January spend could have been funded by Ashley, but the whole outlook of the club is different now. The stadium is being smartened up, the training ground is being revamped, supporter groups are being listened to by the board, the board interact positively on Twitter with supporters. None of this needed huge wealth, it just needed someone who actually cares about the club.

15 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not arguing with that.

Just wondering if this guy is a real person. Have you seen the amount of bots City have to justify their total annihilation of football?

It's something I'd deploy for sure if I was a big baddie state.

Yeah, real person. I'm not sure how much value or success there would be deploying trolls to an Aston Villa forum to defend NUFC.

6 minutes ago, OzyBoy said:

Yeah, real person. I'm not sure how much value or success there would be deploying trolls to an Aston Villa forum to defend NUFC.

Where were you to cheer Newcastle on in the Bruce years?

10 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Why are you here then?

giphy.gif

Because this is a "Let's all laugh at Newcastle" thread and it's actually quite interesting to hear the views of supporters of different clubs?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Where were you to cheer Newcastle on in the Bruce years?

Well, to be fair, there was nothing much to cheer on then.

13 hours ago, bobzy said:

Yes - the big difference being it's probably very easy to toss the business aside compared to just chucking away your love of a football club.

True. But then there's probably people who use those businesses and aren't fully aware. 

No one cheering on the success Newcastle have can say the same. 

Â