Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Ah they're making far too many good moves. This is terrible. We won't even get the fun stage when they buy a £70m Robinho type figure. 

They'll bring about the superleague when they shut Utd out of the champions league.

Shame on them. 

When Abu Dhabi FC squeezed us out under Lerner football started to become futile for me.

I'm getting that vibe once again from Saudi FC unfortunately, relegation for them might have helped us for a year but now it looks like they will stay up.

• Like 2

I'm still not sure they'll actually get any further than say, where Leicester are (top 8ish team that can sometimes mount challenges for the top 4). Yeah they have limitless money behind them but breaking into the elite is much harder than it used to be.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

thats another one for the games gone thread

statbomb sound like a data analysis company, bit like opta, maybe even supplied newcastle with the data anyway but now they've become an official partner and will pay money in to the club, its something that villa should look to do with our data provider because we will have one

but how is that better than the owners just chucking money in? just let the arab overlord still a billion in out of his pocket and be done with it

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Yeah they have limitless money behind them but breaking into the elite is much harder than it used to be.

If you have the money you can do it. People would have said the same about Chelsea or Man city. If they keep spending money they'll eventually get as far as they want to. FFP can be circumvented just like PSG do. 

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

For every Man City, there’s a Malaga. Especially if they start buying other clubs. It’s not a guarantee of success. They can only fluke so many results. Even if that squad survives it needs a massive overhaul. 

The keeper, Trippier, Wilson, ASM maybe if they keep Targett is a good start. Bring in Botman, worlds greatest footballer Bissouma, Lingard maybe Tielemans would improve them

I can see them going for a big marquee name as well

57 minutes ago, villa89 said:

If you have the money you can do it. People would have said the same about Chelsea or Man city. If they keep spending money they'll eventually get as far as they want to. FFP can be circumvented just like PSG do. 

The difference now is man City and Chelsea... 

Everyone spends money, there's 3 billion pound+ teams in the PL now isn't there? 

Man City have such a headstart that it'll be hard to catch them, Newcastle spend £200m a year on 5/6 players city will be spending £75-150m on one... It makes a huge difference 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

It's a different time now. Not saying they can't do it but it's much more difficult than it was in the 2000s.

i think the other issue they will have is one very similar to us, look at how much we've spent to try and go from promotion - staying up - mid table and then how much we will have to spend to go mid table - top half - EL - CL - title

they've spent say £70m already? maybe we do have a £20m clause on targett too but out of those 4 which of them will remain at the club for the whole journey? the £40m brazilian as a squad player maybe, he's probably the only top half player in that entire squad (trippier will be another 2 years older at least by the time get there)

its the player turnover that needs to be factored in, they (and us) need to buy a top half team, then a EL team, then a CL team, then a team that can compete for the title, its not as easy as they'll buy their CL ready striker this summer, they'll buy another 2 before him

and all the while city are just picking up whoever they want

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

The keeper, Trippier, Wilson, ASM maybe if they keep Targett is a good start. Bring in Botman, worlds greatest footballer Bissouma, Lingard maybe Tielemans would improve them

I can see them going for a big marquee name as well

Hopefully Bissouma signs for us 😜

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i think the other issue they will have is one very similar to us, look at how much we've spent to try and go from promotion - staying up - mid table and then how much we will have to spend to go mid table - top half - EL - CL - title

they've spent say £70m already? maybe we do have a £20m clause on targett too but out of those 4 which of them will remain at the club for the whole journey? the £40m brazilian as a squad player maybe, he's probably the only top half player in that entire squad (trippier will be another 2 years older at least by the time get there)

its the player turnover that needs to be factored in, they (and us) need to buy a top half team, then a EL team, then a CL team, then a team that can compete for the title, its not as easy as they'll buy their CL ready striker this summer, they'll buy another 2 before him

and all the while city are just picking up whoever they want

I think that's why they've done all these 2 and a half year deals.  Take the FFP hit in the short term and by the time that 3 year period ends, they could be in a fantastic position.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

With PL status secured they’ll have the attention of a much higher calibre of player (and manager) in the summer. 

Think Howe will get start of next season as they're playing alright under him now in fairness. Will be similar you suspect to Hughes getting ditched halfway through the second season, he'll be in danger if they're not top 10 say (as will Gerrard here).

When the toon fanbase expectations start getting high (its going to start from next year when they spend in excess of 150m) thats when the pressure hits them.

At the moment there is no expectation on them just to stay up. But when you want to aim higher thats when it gets tougher as we know

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think that's why they've done all these 2 and a half year deals.  Take the FFP hit in the short term and by the time that 3 year period ends, they could be in a fantastic position.

Worryingly they've been quite sensible. Targett, Tripper, Burn etc are solid PL players who will see them solidify as a mid-table premier league team this and next season. I was hoping they'd go for the ultra mercenaries such as Bale, Ramsey, Dembele and get relegated with a monstrous wage bill.

After a few years of spending, they will eventually get to the FFP ceiling, where they just cant have 6/7 players on 250k+ a week. But i'm sure the Saudi state can ensure players are recompensed via offshore (and un-taxable) ways, untraceable by the PL and UEFA. Obviously the Saudi National bank is represented by PIF.

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Worryingly they've been quite sensible. Targett, Tripper, Burn etc are solid PL players who will see them solidify as a mid-table premier league team this and next season. I was hoping they'd go for the ultra mercenaries such as Bale, Ramsey, Dembele and get relegated with a monstrous wage bill.

After a few years of spending, they will eventually get to the FFP ceiling, where they just cant have 6/7 players on 250k+ a week. But i'm sure the Saudi state can ensure players are recompensed via offshore (and un-taxable) ways, untraceable by the PL and UEFA. Obviously the Saudi National bank is represented by PIF.

When Newcastle become a major threat to the likes of liverpool, chelsea utd this is when i expect the European super league to be revived.  

The next attempt at stopping it will be a transfer budget determined by league position, the team that finishes 1st can spend more than anyone else

With an added bonus for those teams who play in the CL

Its actually no different from what we have now... 

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The next attempt at stopping it will be a transfer budget determined by league position, the team that finishes 1st can spend more than anyone else

Like F1, the higher you finish the bigger the allowed budget plus you get more garage space. 

Â