Christian Benteke

Kwan

If he really wanted to stay he'd have signed an extension like weimman did. He's clearly seeing what options are out there for him, and there's nothing wrong with that. Most sensible players would after the season he's had.

I think it's going to come down to 2 things. 1) will bigger teams match the fee we want? 2) how will benteke react to any bid we reject.

Spot on for me that Big John

Whats the Milner talk for? Are we linked - James Milner is exactly the player we need imo. Bit older, wiser and more know how but doesnt stray away from the hunger that Lambert desires.

Or he's just on holiday.

Just such a weak argument - im pretty sure Weimann was on holiday

Yeah and I'm sure there is a hell of lot more clubs out there that's in for Benteke. Weimann did very well but a has come though the ranks and therefore: A is more loyal and more "emotionally" connected to Villa. And B allthough he has progressed a great bit and showed real future potential he wasen't close to score 20 goals.

And i am sure with 3 years left on his contract the need for an extension is something you can wait for a couplebof extra weeks - part of the negotiation so to speek. You don't want to give more than you need (neither Villa or Bentekes agent).

I honestly believe if he stays with us till the World Cup, he could have his pick from any club in the world. At the moment, I can't see anyone that seriously interested in him worth moving too.

Spurs/Liverpool really? If Atletico get serious then he might have to consider them.

• Like 1

Linked with Spurs in the Daily Star.. £20m.

I'd hope he has bigger ambitions than Spurs personally.

that piece of rumour is null and void by the fact they suggest adebayor coming in the opposite direction

that piece of rumour is null and void by the fact they suggest adebayor coming in the opposite direction

I wouldn't put it past spurs making such an offer, after all it wouldn't be the first time we get stitched up by being offered an unwanted expensive player as part of the deal to get a prized asset from us, hey we have history of accepting such stupid offers, however if it was an offer, I hope we have learned enough to politely laugh in their metaphorical faces

I wouldn't put it past spurs making such an offer, after all it wouldn't be the first time we get stitched up by being offered an unwanted expensive player as part of the deal to get a prized asset from us, hey we have history of accepting such stupid offers, however if it was an offer, I hope we have learned enough to politely laugh in their metaphorical faces

Forget metaphorically, Lambert should do it literally.

The story in the Star is ridiculous, a crappy piece of imaginative writing at best.

I do think Spurs may lead the pack for Benteke though, but I don't think we'd see anything from them unless the Bale money comes through - at that point they'll be looking to make a couple of big signings to soften the blow - they're also a team that's really weak up top - Adebayor is too inconsistent and Defoe is on the downward slope; they really need a forward and probably two.

The story in the Star is ridiculous, a crappy piece of imaginative writing at best.

I do think Spurs may lead the pack for Benteke though, but I don't think we'd see anything from them unless the Bale money comes through - at that point they'll be looking to make a couple of big signings to soften the blow - they're also a team that's really weak up top - Adebayor is too inconsistent and Defoe is on the downward slope; they really need a forward and probably two.

Its just the usual crap from the London loving press. I always thought it was Harry that was renta gob over players he would like to sign but seemingly its also Spurs. Whether its the club or the journalist its a total joke that:

1) We would accept £20m for CB.

2) We would take either Adebayor (an overpaid management nightmare) or Defoe (overpaid, overrated and too old) in any 'deal'. They are so far off Lambert type players its laughable.

3) CB would go to a club not playing in the Champions League and will struggle to get in it most seasons, Bale or no Bale (who I think will go if not this season, the next).

If there is any truth behind this with the club the arrogance of Spurs is astounding. I think we will keep Benteke next season as we will offer him much more money, he wants to play regularly ahead of the World Cup and he knows if he delivers next season he will have the pick of the really big clubs in Europe as well as England. We will not keep him in 12 months time but I suspect his price will be £35m plus and he will go to a much much bigger club than either Spurs or Liverpool.

• Like 1

I honestly believe if he stays with us till the World Cup, he could have his pick from any club in the world. At the moment, I can't see anyone that seriously interested in him worth moving too.

I really do not understand this. 

I don't see how if Benteke moved to Plop/Spurs/Madrid until the world cup he wouldnt have the pick form any club in the world - as well as playing at a higher lever, earning a higher wage and having the opportunity to take those clubs to a higher level themselves.

I just don't see how people are thinking that clubs like Spurs can offer Benteke everything we can next season, plus more. 

I don't see how if Benteke moved to Plop/Spurs/Madrid until the world cup he wouldnt have the pick form any club in the world - as well as playing at a higher lever, earning a higher wage and having the opportunity to take those clubs to a higher level themselves.

I just don't see how people are thinking that clubs like Spurs can offer Benteke everything we can next season, plus more. 

I think Benteke will find it harder to force a move out of Liverpool or Spurs than he would from us. If either of those clubs got him and paid big money they would expect him for more than a year.

Thats pretty much the only downside I can see for him moving to those clubs

I think Benteke will find it harder to force a move out of Liverpool or Spurs than he would from us. If either of those clubs got him and paid big money they would expect him for more than a year.

they'd also expect a return on their investment and at 25 - 30m it would take to get him off us and 12 months wages at 80k per month, that makes a financial return less doable

they'd also expect a return on their investment and at 25 - 30m it would take to get him off us and 12 months wages at 80k per month, that makes a financial return less doable

Also, from Benteke's point of view, going to Liverpool or Spurs means he risks not being able to play on the Champions League for the foreseeable future. Holding out could get him a move to a club that is certain to get CL football.

Honestly, the only thing that makes me think he could go to either of those clubs is the fact they will pay him a lot of money, which is sad really because I'd hate to see him leave us solely because of cash.

On the contrary, I really cannot see Liverpool or Spuds affording to reach our valuation. We're apparently holding out for £30m, I can't see either team spending even £20m on him, a figure that Spuds are reportedly lining up to grab Leandro Damiao (who is a rated higher than Benteke in world football IMO).

Sounds like Spurs doing a Blues trick when they tried to look like they were players by going after big names. Keep the fans happy if they're worried about losing Bale by floating the prospect of a shrewd stuffing of the naive midlanders. You know the trick. Offer us one of their cast offs and a supposedly huge sum of money and we'll bite their hand off. Typical Cockney barrow boys. I can't see Lerner and certainly Lambert falling for that one.

Richard, off topic so apologies but why do you have a pic of thatcher as your avatar?

Is it meant to be ironic in some way?

Â