Christian Benteke

Kwan

Mkhitaryan has been good this season I agree but he's still a prospect as he's obviously yet to make the step up to a big league.

I'm gob-smacked. He has been good for more than 'this' season. Anyway, let's hope they don't get him.

I can't say I've followed him but I know this season was his stand out, banged in a heap of goals. As I said though, still unproven in a major league.

Wow I only just bothered to read the article: "With Defoe now having turned 30, it is thought that Tottenham are ready to cut their losses on Defoe. They are ready to offer the player plus £7 million for Benteke’s services."

That is the single worst offer for any player ever. Defoe + £7m????? In my mind that values Defoe at £28m

It's Spurs and Levy. That's completely plausible that they'd offer that. I only hope Lambert (or Lerner) uses every swear word he knows in his response.

• Like 3

I'm glad we have Lambert in charge. It's just not in his nature to bring in someone like Defoe and I'd like to think that the board trust him more given his success in the transfer market.

• Like 2

It's Spurs and Levy. That's completely plausible that they'd offer that. I only hope Lambert (or Lerner) uses every swear word he knows in his response.

Id like to imaging him simply putting the phone down.  Or even better asking him to hold on a second....then sneaking off for a round of golf!

Wow I only just bothered to read the article: "With Defoe now having turned 30, it is thought that Tottenham are ready to cut their losses on Defoe. They are ready to offer the player plus £7 million for Benteke’s services."

That is the single worst offer for any player ever. Defoe + £7m????? In my mind that values Defoe at £28m

I think you misread

From what i see, spurs value Defoe at 7M pounds which they want to substract from the price of Benteke, then Spurs would get Benteke for Defoe + 17M 

I think you misread

From what i see, spurs value Defoe at 7M pounds which they want to substract from the price of Benteke, then Spurs would get Benteke for Defoe + 17M

Where does it state £24m?

Levy is just great isn't he... We'll give you someone who is clogging up our wage bill & is the wrong side of 30 on huge wages, (even though this club has almost been relegated for the last 3 seasons as we have gone through the process of trying to rid ourselves of such players), plus 7m for an in demand striker who is 22, long contract & a potential World star...

So Defoe at an estimated value of 5-7m +7m = 12-15m

At the same time they want 80m+ for their own potential World star Gareth Bale!

You really couldn't make it up!

• Like 1

You really couldn't make it up!

Why not? The Mirror more than likely did.

Also, whilst we're still discussing BS articles, it did not state what the value of the cash to go with Defoe was. The £7m figure quoted was the value the sports writer assigned to Defoe. I don't know if they now use a random number generator or if they are still pulling numbers out of a hat.

I think this Benteke saga could be ended fairly simply.

We go to the player and tell him he is not moving this summer, but we would consider offers after the World Cup if he still in interested in leaving. He then has two options. Sign a bigger deal to play one more season with Villa, or throw a hissy fit, train with the reserves, miss out on the World Cup, and create a reputation as a bad egg.

I really feel we hold the cards here.

I think this Benteke saga could be ended fairly simply.

We go to the player and tell him he is not moving this summer, but we would consider offers after the World Cup if he still in interested in leaving. He then has two options. Sign a bigger deal to play one more season with Villa, or throw a hissy fit, train with the reserves, miss out on the World Cup, and create a reputation as a bad egg.

I really feel we hold the cards here.

Wouldn't actually be allowed by the FA. As sad as that is. The player's rights are protected to an extent. You can't sign a player and at some point do your utmost to make him rot against his will. It has been tried by others. You just engineer a cheaper move. That's why unhappy players tend to get their way. Your first mistake was "tell him he's not moving". Your ultimatum immediately makes him want out and you've already lost.

'The Times' states that Spurs value Defoe at £8m, and that they have offered him 'for sale' to Villa at that. In the same article they state that Villa refuse to pay a fee for any player over 24 years of age-interesting!

Later on in the same 'general football' piece they mention Spurs' interest in Benteke, but are not directly relating the two.

The problem that any club would have with Defoe is that he wants to play for Spurs, so will feel completely rejected if they sell him, not unlike the situation with our makeweight from Man City.

I seriously doubt we are interested in Benteke and also doubt Defoe is for sale. This story is complete rubbish in my opinion.

Benteke will stay at Villa unless Liverpool are interested. All the other links seem hugely speculative to me. 

Â