Christian Benteke

Kwan

Atletico Madrid are ready to test Aston Villa's resolve to keep Christian Benteke with a stunning £20million bid.

The Spanish giants are confident of landing the striker after sounding out his agent, Kismet Eris.

Atletico have money to burn after striking a £50m deal with big-spending French side Monaco to sell them Colombian goal-machine Radamel Falcao.

They have looked at Liverpool's Luis Suarez, Hulk of Zenit St Petersburg, Alvaro Negredo of Sevilla and Manchester United's Javier Hernandez, but Atletico coach Diego Simeone has singled out Belgium international Benteke as his No1 target.

After scouting the Villans' new hero in the flesh and watching DVDs of him in action, Simeone has urged the club's board to get the 22-year-old.

Chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin has been charged with trying to set up a deal, and it is believed he is confident of sit-down with Eris this week.

It will be a major worry for Villa, especially after Benteke last week told a Belgian newspaper he may insist on going if a big club comes in.

Benteke said: "If Aston Villa say I must stay, I won't necessarily accept that. I do not in any way want to feel I didn't get the most out of my career."

Villa got Benteke for a bargain £8m from Genk last summer and Paul Lambert will be determined not to sell after a sensational debut season in which his 19 Premier League goals kept them safe from relegation.

Arsenal and Tottenham have also been looking at Benteke, but Atletico are clearly hoping their new financial clout could help them steal an early march on other interested clubs.

Mirror

Another £8m and we can start talking, which (assuming this is true), if their opening bid is £20m theres no reason we couldnt start pushing the £27-30m barrier if we were to accept a bid. If he is going to leave, I would much prefer him move abroad. Especially to a club whose last few big strikers have been the likes of Torres, Aguero and Falcao. Not quite the same style as those but it's a club who have done wonders for their strikers' careers.

Also think Madrid are more likely than the links to Dortmund, whilst both clubs will be having large sums of money injected into them this summer through selling their current big-name striker, Madrid, I assume, are more likely to be offering the kind of wages Benteke will be after.

Not like that red top to regurgitate an already discredited quote :rolleyes:

"A hypothetical choice for you:

Benteke for another year

OR

Weimann for another 4 years?

Both please brommy. There is no reason why we cannot try for both and I think they are better together than on their own.

Edited by John

"Atletico Madrid are ready to test Aston Villa's resolve to keep Christian Benteke with a stunning £20million bid." I have to agree I am stunned that they would think we would sell our player for 40% of what they wanted for their own. What the agent might feel confident we would accept and what Benteke might consider would make both him and us happy is some way off a £20m fee but I guess they might both see that as more than double what we paid & almost a 200% profit in a year. I think this is the sort of bid we can anticipate getting this summer as clubs see us as a selling club and will not think they have to bid too high to get the player they want. I would not look at a bid of under £30m cash and would look for a sell on clause on top of that as I can see him being worth a hell of a lot more in a couple of seasons. I have a feeling he is destined to leave this summer but if he does go it needs to be for the right money and we need to put all of that money into new signings. I also agree with daggy-333 that there is more than a bit of the Liverpool situation here with Atletico although Benteke is a far better striker than the one they paid over the odds for to Newcastle.         

• Like 1

"A hypothetical choice for you:

Benteke for another year

OR

Weimann for another 4 years?

Both please brommy. There is no reason why we cannot try for both and I think they are better together than on their own.

Okay John, I'll get right on to it. ;-)

A few years ago they sold Aguero for £38m and then signed Falcoa for €38m, if they have now sold Falcoa for €51m, we should at least ask £30m because we know they have the money. We don't want to sell but for £30m i think Lambert could build a top team. 4 £5m players and 1 £10m from that

why is it every other club can sell their star player for 40 million these days except us?

Benteke is better than most strikers going for more than 20 million.

The Sun reporting Athletico submitted a bid of 17.5 Mil. Tell them to **** off. They just got 50 million for Falcao.

40 mil or stuff you. Hes got three years.. he wont refuse to play or he will be playing the world cup with reserve matches at Aston Villa.

Randy stick to your guns. Look at Levy. Could have sold Bale for 20-30mil...kept him a few years and now hes supposedly worth 80M.

Â