Christian Benteke

Kwan

Was poor in front of goal yesterday. Also, people go on about his work rate. I thought he was quite lazy at times. Could have busted a gut to get on the of a couple of crosses but just stood there hoping for the ball to come to him.

I think there is a lot of talent in there. But, he looks like Drogba for two games and Heskey for four games. Needs to work on his game for sure!

Edited by villarocker

Was poor in front of goal yesterday. Also, people go on about his work rate. I thought he was quite lazy at times. Could have busted a gut to get on the of a couple of crosses but just stood there hoping for the ball to come to him.

I think there is a lot of talent in there. But, he looks like Drogba for two games and Heskey for four games. Needs to work on his game for sure!

On some occasions reminds of Bent, if the ball doesn't come straight at him or straight at his running line they both tend to give up easily.

Benteke is a good talent and I'm glad we signed him.

However, like all talents, he should have been blooded in slowly and given time.

Bent, our main proven premier league goalscorer, should be the first striker on the team sheet with Benteke getting a decent amount of game time but not as much as he has been at present IMO

Benteke is a good talent and I'm glad we signed him.

However, like all talents, he should have been blooded in slowly and given time.

Bent, our main proven premier league goalscorer, should be the first striker on the team sheet with Benteke getting a decent amount of game time but not as much as he has been at present IMO

Agree with you. He should have been rotated with Bent and not made the first choice striker like he has been. A lot of pressure on a young player in his first PL season. I just hope these misses don't destroy any confidence that he has. It's happened to better players than him over the years.

Might have missed horrible sitters today but he was also instrumental to practically all of our attacking play. Without him I suspect we'd have spent most of the game in our own defensive third.

Instrumental? Think you need to look up the meaning of that word again. Another poor game from him as someone else said, gabby and Weimann up front as bent has fallen out with the manager/ can't be arsed/ injured/ will cost us money if he plays again/ definitely being sold, delete as appropriate!

He was the focal point of our attack and 'made things happen' more than anyone else up there. The problem was he fluffed his two major chances, the first one was harder than people make out, it came at him very quickly and in an odd area. The second miss however was awful, it was an open net and the ball came to him at a much nicer pace.

I'm not sure, for where we appear to be as a club at the moment, that the money on him was well spent. I do think he's a good player, and I do think when he hits his peak that he'll be amazing, BUT...at this moment in time, the money that we paid for him could have been better spent elsewhere.

I don't think we needed Christian Benteke, certainly not more so than we do a solid CM/CB.

Right player, wrong time IMO.

I would love it if somehow we could get that Lukaku lad from Chelsea to partner Benteke up front. They are of similar age and size and are both Belgian. We could still play Weimann wide right in a three man attack. They would be lethal!

Edited by villarocker

Benteke does not look so great recently because teams apart from Liverpool have worked out he is our only danger and mark him completely out the game. It's hard to show your form with no back up from midfield and 3 players marking the life out of you

Because he has to fight his way out of being marked up. Everyone can see we have nothing without Benteke!!

that's because Lambert made us a team with only one strategy: play it up to benteke and hopefully something happens. there is no midfield to take a team apart before setting up our strikers.

easy to defend once you know the strategy

Benteke does not look so great recently because teams apart from Liverpool have worked out he is our only danger and mark him completely out the game. It's hard to show your form with no back up from midfield and 3 players marking the life out of you

I think teams are working on ways to prevent him getting into goalscoring positions - but you can hardly make that claim for our last two games - he could have scored seven with the chances that have been created for him in those games - you'd expect him to have put four away - you'd be disappointed with two - I'm gutted that he's managed none.

That said, because he's a big strong lad, we sometimes forget how young he is - he's still learning and he's going to be inconsistent - he gives us a focal point and a target and he's vital to our game, so I think we need to stick with him and let him do his learning on the pitch - it's a risky plan and that's been clear this week - but unfortunately for us (and maybe for him too) it's the only plan we have - he's going to have to do his growing up in the spotlight.

Even if it did go to his head, which I dont think it has. How would that effect his finishing. Please stop making things up.

Actually I can think of a reason.

Benteke got us confused with another club (West Ham?) when he arrived (thought Aston Villa was in London), then later told the media his favourite team was Arsenal, hoped to play for a big club one day. Something like that.

Perhaps this shows he doesn't respect Aston Villa as a club that much compared to some of our other players.

Doesn't like being in a relegation fight with all this pressure he has never felt in his career before. It's not fun.

Liverpool game showed he can do it in the Premiership. It doesn't if Villa goes down, they'll be buyers even if he doesn't score again this season.

What Benteke needs is competition. I'd be tempted to bench him for the West Brom game. Especially as fellow Belgian Lukaku will be playing for the baggies.

He'll be desperate to prove he is better than Lukaku, so bench him, bring him on as sub.

What Benteke needs is competition. I'd be tempted to bench him for the West Brom game. Especially as fellow Belgian Lukaku will be playing for the baggies.

He'll be desperate to prove he is better than Lukaku, so bench him, bring him on as sub.

you might have something there. one question though? is Bent fit to play and will Lambert put him on. Gabby-Weimann would be an attack force based on pace and drive rather that strength, so something different than what we've seen so far this season. But they are both used more as wingers by Lambert so we need someone up front and Bowery just won't do

Edited by AXD

you might have something there. one question though? is Bent fit to play and will Lambert put him on. Gabby-Weimann would be an attack force based on pace and drive rather that strength, so something different than what we've seen so far this season. But they are both used more as wingers by Lambert so we need someone up front and Bowery just won't do

I would not normally pick Bowery either but an on form League Two striker would surely have put away some of the chances Benteke has missed in the last few games.

Only needs to play for 60 minutes.

It's not much point having Benteke on from the start, him scoring two, and we lose 3-2. Benteke might not perform again for the rest of the season.

If we bench him, we're down 2-nil he could come on and pull out a result.

Edited by Con

Â