Christian Benteke

Kwan

Just needed to be coached properly. And I guess Belgium is finally starting to see some progress, producing some great names for the future..

Just look at the amount of players The Netherlands produce.. Its a similar size country.

yeah we got now finnaly a good coach

Depends how you look at it.

Surely us signing players that are good enough to have people asking if we can hold onto them is a good thing as is the manager saying we aren't going to sell them.

I'd rather that then us sign utter wasters like McLeish collected who we couldn't give away.

Great problem to have I guess.

Depends how you look at it.

Surely us signing players that are good enough to have people asking if we can hold onto them is a good thing as is the manager saying we aren't going to sell them.

I'd rather that then us sign utter wasters like McLeish collected who we couldn't give away.

...spot on

...spot on

let them be after the lot.

..and we will sign some more.

Well not really . Remember losing Barry then Young and Milner. We are only just recovering.

See its not just about losing your star player, it's the impact that has on the remaining squad, manager, fans, chairman, media etc etc

When we lost Barry, it was such a sad day as the dream effectively died there and then.

Well not really . Remember losing Barry then Young and Milner. We are only just recovering.

See its not just about losing your star player, it's the impact that has on the remaining squad, manager, fans, chairman, media etc etc

When we lost Barry, it was such a sad day as the dream effectively died there and then.

Until we improved the season after he left.

• Like 1

Because Shay would have saved it ... in his dreams

What an odd statement.

Just because Guzan has taken his chance, doesn't make Given shit all of a sudden.

Without Given we may wel not be in this league right now. And if anything is his strength, it's shot stopping.

So yeah, I reckon Given may well have saved that shot from Benteke. It was a good strike, but I do think Reina could have gotten across sooner.

• Like 1

Until we improved the season after he left.

That may be so, but I agree with CI's point that losing your top players affects more than just the technical quality of the squad. Luckily PL seems to have a good scouting setup, so we're better off than we have been for years in that sense. But Bentekkers looks like being a hard player to replace cheaply.

Still, let's just enjoy him. If we do have to sell him one day we can then enjoy fantasising about how the money will be spent.

What an odd statement.

Just because Guzan has taken his chance, doesn't make Given shit all of a sudden.

Without Given we may wel not be in this league right now. And if anything is his strength, it's shot stopping.

So yeah, I reckon Given may well have saved that shot from Benteke. It was a good strike, but I do think Reina could have gotten across sooner.

We will have to disagree. Given hasnt been a good signing for us, at all, in any way. He is a bit of a dinosaur keeper. Yeah, great reaction saves, but why does he need to keep making reaction saves? Because his command of the area is non existent, he remains rooted to his line. This is why Guzan has replaced him - because Brad comes for crosses, commands his area, and has much, much better distribution, and is much better with his feet. Given wont be Villa's number one keeper again as long as Brad is here

Could Reina have got across? How much of it did he actually see? Reina is a much better keeper than Shay. I find it ironic that a keeper who has let in the goals that Shay has over the past six or eight months (some real proper shockers) has the balls to criticize another keeper for not saving a difficult snap shot. Thats whats bizarre tbh

• Like 1

That may be so, but I agree with CI's point that losing your top players affects more than just the technical quality of the squad. Luckily PL seems to have a good scouting setup, so we're better off than we have been for years in that sense. But Bentekkers looks like being a hard player to replace cheaply.

Still, let's just enjoy him. If we do have to sell him one day we can then enjoy fantasising about how the money will be spent.

A club like ours is pretty much always going to lose our top players, thats the market we're in. We are, even at our best, a feeder club for the bigger fish. There is no way of changing that really without altering altogether the way the game is financed. Even a much bigger and more successful club like Arsenal is essentially in the same boat - their best players get snapped up once they have proved themselves.

What we have to do is somehow replace those we lose with players of at least equal ability, and thats very difficult. But its not Lerner's fault, thats just the economics of football today. Not much point moaning about it, just make the most of it when the really good players are with us, usually at the very start or very end of their careers. personally, I'm really glads that I've seen Bentekkers in the flesh for Villa, seen him score a couple of goals, the second one at Swindon will live long in my memory. If we lose him in the summer I wont be surprised, and I wont hold it against him. I hope we dont, but thats just the useless optimist in me :-)

• Like 1

Are people seriously implying that it's better to not sign good players because it damages the squad when they are sold?

Yes, I think Benteke will move on sadly. It doesn't bode well that he signed for us because he thought we were based in London. Kinda gives the green light for a London based club to come in for him, although with Arsenal signing Ba then they may not be in the market just yet and we may get a few more seasons out of him.

• Like 1

Arsenal or Spurs wouldn't pay the sort of money Benteke would be let go for, Chelsea maybe. There is not many clubs that could buy our best players off us when they have a decent length contract. Man City are the freak in it all and they could buy any player from any team in existence.

We have an undeserved reputation as a selling club, we only sell at stupid prices to stupid clubs.

• Like 2

fuuuuuuuck me, were barley halfways through the season and people are already bitching about benteke beeing sold ?

Only on VT can a player becoming good turn into something negative...

Yes 'only on VT' is quite the catchphrase. I really think some on here need immediate therapy. Although I would say it's more broadly a problem with the modern football fan.

Â