Christian Benteke

Kwan

They almost won the prem the season before last. They're always challenging for Europe while we've had at lest 4 awful seasons now. Before that we were only good (ok) for about three seasons while Liverpool were winning cups, including the champions league.

• Like 2

I don't understand why liverpool is a dumb move for him. He will play regularly and get much better service than he will at Villa. He hasn't proved himself good enough for the top clubs yet which is why non are in for him. Stay at Villa and battle relegation or move to Liverpool and challenge for top 4 while playing in Europe?

will they? least amount of crosses in the league last season and not going to change that with signings they made so far

You lot are missing my point. There is more chance of Real coming along while he is playing at Liverpool than at Villa. He will get more service, score more goals and win more games. Do you think the likes of Suarez and Torres would have got their big money moves after a season with us!

There were probably Newcastle fans who said similar about Carrol,
Yes and it turned out the move was too big for him. Fans on here are saying the move to Liverpool is too small for him!

And it is.

IMO, Benteke should be patient, remain with us and leave after another successful season (personally) and potentially a good euros.

He would then have the pick of multiple teams instead of just Liverpool.

Liverpool are a bigger club than us for sure, but currently in the greater scheme of things they're nowhere near being a european superpower of football.

Benteke could belong to such a team this time next year, if he bides his time.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

You lot are missing my point. There is more chance of Real coming along while he is playing at Liverpool than at Villa. He will get more service, score more goals and win more games. Do you think the likes of Suarez and Torres would have got their big money moves after a season with us!

Yes and it turned out the move was too big for him. Fans on here are saying the move to Liverpool is too small for him!
And it is.

Then how does that compare with what happened to Carrol? Are you suggesting had he stayed at Newcastle he would have got an even bigger move than Liverpool?

Huge difference between Carroll and Benteke, Nobody would have bid that for Carroll and he is a different type of player to Benteke in that no top club would ever build their side in his style. Benteke can adopt to a different team style over time but Carroll would not be able to do this

Ok let's look at this from his point of view. Stays with us, battles relegation but manages to bang in 15-20 goals. May or may not get a move to a big super power. Moves to Liverpool and bangs in 15-20 goals, challengers for top 4 and has a decent Europa cup run. May or may not get a big move to a super power. But at least he is still at a club with a lot more chances of success of where he is now.

Listen of course I want him to stay but all I'm saying is if Liverpool are the only club to bid 32.5M for him then I would 100% understand if he left.

The only way I could see him staying was if we matched their wages AND assured him there would be substantial funds spent this summer on other players and the club actually has a plan to improve.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Liverpool need to offer us £32.5m cash without any of their rejects at over inflated prices. Benteke can then decide whether or not he wants to join them. Until then it does not matter how big a club Liverpool think they are or anyone else thinks they are. Find the money or jog on!!! 

Edited by John
  • Like 3

If Lplop are such a bigger club, name one of their players you would take as a straight swap for CB..............NOT ONE.

They are not going to win anything, and not going to get in the CL.CB imho is Barca/Real Madrid class, thats why going to Lplop would be a bad move.

The fact that they are not willing to match his asking price suggests to me they don't rate him that highly.

What you're getting confused with here is the terms bigger club and better squad.

• Like 1

And it is.

Then how does that compare with what happened to Carrol? Are you suggesting had he stayed at Newcastle he would have got an even bigger move than Liverpool?

What I'm saying is you are saying its a certainty he will "get more service, score more goals and win more games" at Liverpool than here, I'm saying there is no guarantee of that and that people would have said it of Carrol.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for people to think Benteke is too good to move to a club likely to be playing in the Europa League for the next few years.

What I don't understand is why Liverpool are being really funny over the fee and don't flinch at paying 29m for Firmino or all their other major buys.

I remember them messing about over the Barry deal offering people like Finnan and Riise. Are they just peculiar over our players or is that just me, they don't have a problem blowing 25m on Lallana or whatever they spent on Markovic.

I'd take £25m and Enrique over £30m and Lambert.

I assume you mean if you HAD to choose…. cos' if you think Enrique is worth 7 million…  LOL. Wouldn't take either deal personally. 

Ok let's look at this from his point of view. Stays with us, battles relegation but manages to bang in 15-20 goals. May or may not get a move to a big super power. Moves to Liverpool and bangs in 15-20 goals, challengers for top 4 and has a decent Europa cup run. May or may not get a big move to a super power. But at least he is still at a club with a lot more chances of success of where he is now.

Listen of course I want him to stay but all I'm saying is if Liverpool are the only club to bid 32.5M for him then I would 100% understand if he left.

The only way I could see him staying was if we matched their wages AND assured him there would be substantial funds spent this summer on other players and the club actually has a plan to improve.

Yeah I agree with this. I think that's why Sherwood isn't **** about and he's getting players in. Also Benteke speaks french… So do Gueye and Praet (who's also Belgian) - that would help Sherwood convince Benteke. You'd think so anyways.

Edited by tomh621
  • Like 1

They are not going to win anything, and not going to get in the CL.CB imho is Barca/Real Madrid class, thats why going to Lplop would be a bad move.

oh come on lmao. you cant be serious here? The cheapest he will ever be if he was RM/Barca class but all the elite scouts appear to not want him or rate him enough so they are all wrong in his talent. Or is it your opinion of his class which is wrong?

Of course signing for liverpool will be a good option for benteke in terms of his career potential (probably be a bad move in terms of showing of his talent but w/e). The elite teams are only going to sign him if he shows he can score all these goals in a possession based side imo. If benteke is really as good as some of you suggest he is (which he is not, lolbarca&real class) then he can easily find a move in 2 years when hes signed for liverpool. he will be 26 then

imo. Fighting for top 4 is his level. whether thats spurs/plop, or the arsenal of 2/3 seasons ago. Just currently....the top 4 are spending and are all literally fighting for the title where benteke isnt going to be the edge that pushes one of them teams to first so wont be worth the investment for them.

Only way he'll be good enough for top 4 team is if a team decides to play like old Mourinho Drogba style which just isnt an acceptable style anymore for current title-contenders with all the money involved.

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

And it is.

What I'm saying is you are saying its a certainty he will "get more service, score more goals and win more games" at Liverpool than here, I'm saying there is no guarantee of that and that people would have said it of Carrol.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for people to think Benteke is too good to move to a club likely to be playing in the Europa League for the next few years.

Well it's a certainty he will win more games. If there were other clubs in for him I would understand that he does not want to go Liverpool. But I'm fairly certain if they are the only club in for him he will leave and I think it's understandable.

oh come on lmao. you cant be serious here? The cheapest he will ever be if he was RM/Barca class but all the elite scouts appear to not want him or rate him enough so they are all wrong in his talent. Or is it your opinion of his class which is wrong?

Of course signing for liverpool will be a good option for benteke in terms of his career potential (probably be a bad move in terms of showing of his talent but w/e). The elite teams are only going to sign him if he shows he can score all these goals in a possession based side imo. If benteke is really as good as some of you suggest he is (which he is not, lolbarca&real class) then he can easily find a move in 2 years when hes signed for liverpool. he will be 26 then

imo. Fighting for top 4 is his level. whether thats spurs/plop, or the arsenal of 2/3 seasons ago. Just currently....the top 4 are spending and are all literally fighting for the title where benteke isnt going to be the edge that pushes one of them teams to first so wont be worth the investment for them.

Only way he'll be good enough for top 4 team is if a team decides to play like old Mourinho Drogba style which just isnt an acceptable style anymore for current title-contenders with all the money involved.

At last the voice of reason without claret and blue tinted glasses clouding his opinion.

To put Benteke's record into perspective, Benzema had a worse strike record for a much better club and he was sold for €35 million. Benzema was about the same age of Benteke when he was sold.

• Like 1

Its all most as if...strike rate isnt the only thing teams look for when signing a striker :o   (sorry, i hope you accept my apology for my douchey comment :D <3 ). Benzema is better than benteke even if he does have a worse strike rate (or had).

And that doesnt make all that much sense. A strike rate isnt transferable so saying "worse strike record for a much better club" is pretty irrelevant.  Darren bent should have been sold for 50mil to barca in his prime.

Im genuinely curious to those who think benteke is on Arsenal+ (or real/barca) class. How is he on par with saurez/ageuro/costa/benzema/rooney etc?  Quick note: Heading/strength qualities are worth less for these teams so where is he making up qualities? Hes worse than all these running behind, hes worse at link up play, hes worse at finishing.

Edited by gharperr

Look guys we have watched Benteke for 3 seasons now and we know on his day he is unplayable. We also know there are times when his touch is abysmal and he just can't get in to the game. He is far far from the finished product and will need another season or two at a top 10 team before he can earn his big move. I can't see him getting that big move while playing for us until we improve.

Happy to be proven wrong with an example of a big money signing to a top team from an ever present relegation battling team.

• Like 1

Â