Christian Benteke

Kwan

I think that's an ambitious figure. He can't rely on getting those tap ins on a regular basis, he's not good enough to create his own chances and we're an awful football team.

We don't create much, but I can think of several chances that have fallen to Benteke and Gabby lately that Kozak would probably have put away. Sure, Kozak isn't an exciting player, but I think he will prove to be a regular goalscorer.

• Like 1

Benteke is playing like a man who realises he's made a huge mistake in signing that new contract in the summer instead of upping sticks as previously intended.

You must feel for him when he joins up with Belgium. Hazard going on about all the great teammates he has at Chelsea, same for Mingolet, Fellani, Kompany....and then they all ask him what it's like to play with Grant Holt and El-Ahmadi.

Benteke is playing like a man who realises he's made a huge mistake in signing that new contract in the summer instead of upping sticks as previously intended.

And really who can blame him. Probably thought he had the world at his feet last year and he's had to play in this awful team for another year. Bet he can't wait for the world cup.

• Like 1

You must feel for him when he joins up with Belgium. Hazard going on about all the great teammates he has at Chelsea, same for Mingolet, Fellani, Kompany....and then they all ask him what it's like to play with Grant Holt and El-Ahmadi.

I doubt Fellani has been shouting from the rooftops recently to be honest. Don't really get where your going, they all play for top four clubs, Fellani aside for the moment, so of course the calibre of player around them is going to be better. Hazard and Kompany are also two of the best players in the world in the position they play, whilst Benteke has been quite poor this season.

Only read this page and totally agree with VillaForever1970.

It is all very well saying he is playing in a shite team and getting bored etc, but the fact is he is playing for Aston Villa Football Club and he needs to start performing for them. He can blame the likes of KEA as someone mentioned, but in the end he has been shite as well this season. I accept second season syndrome, but 110% effort is a must for me

Second season is always tough, everyone knows all about him now, defenders double up on him and he seems to be getting fouled a lot more. However instead of giving as good as he gets, he is moaning and having a strop. The shite team thing is harsh, yes we haven't been the best but we've created chances for him and he hasn't taken them, also doesn't try and beat a man either with his pace and power.

I did read somewhere that he's actually scored near the amount he had this time last season??

Hopefully we could keep him another season If the bigger boys wait to see if he can produce the goods in his 3rd season.

Edited by villan_007

While I believe our midfield to be rather ineffective, it is a bit much to blame them for Benteke's performances this season.

I have seen plenty of opportunities getting through to him - he has not been able to hold up play, his headers and passes have been misdirected, he has missed good goal-scoring opportunities, he has not taken on players with any real conviction, and has generally been a stride short of where he would have been last season.

Whether it is second season syndrome or apathy I do not know, but I do not think the blame should be placed entirely on others.

• Like 1

Getting him to sign that new contract looks increasingly like a mistake by the club as well.

Spot on Risso.

I don't think it is a mistake by the club as such as we hold all the aces and dictate what happens.

If we really wanted to we could bollox his career up and let him rot in the under 18's for the next 4 years or so, I mean he only cost 7m so its not too much of a killer amount of money to lose considering Alan hutton must have earnt that in wages alone at Villa for doing pretty much **** all aswell!

Benteke deserves a bit of flak for his performances of late, but lets not forget that he played a massive part in keeping us up last year. I dread to think of where we'd have been without him.

Benteke deserves a bit of flak for his performances of late, but lets not forget that he played a massive part in keeping us up last year. I dread to think of where we'd have been without him.

Absolutely. And he may well do the same again this season.

Â