Christian Benteke

Kwan

Think our past history with Barry etc. should stand us in good stead. When we stood our ground with Barry, Liverpool got fed up and went and bought Keane instead. There will come a time when Spurs will have to make a decision to pay up or move on to the next target. They won't risk going into deadline day hoping that we'll accept a low offer.

Just found this article by the way: http://alturl.com/xkrtm

Levy's quotes are brilliant and he got Liverpool to make a donation to their charity as a way of apologizing for tapping up Keane.

But Levy added: "I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard, not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield, but that Robbie himself wanted to go and submitted a transfer request to this effect.

"I have already made my opinion clear on the nature of this transaction.

"I don't regard it as a transfer deal - that is something which happens between two clubs when they both agree to trade - this is very much an enforced sale, for which we have agreed a sum of £19m as compensation plus a potential further £1.3m in additional compensation."

Somebody send this to Faulkner

Just catching up on this. So he arrived and he's training with the first team. So he's continued to act quite well in all this, as has the club. Aside from the transfer request which some see as disrespectful, this is about as clean a getaway saga as you could want for your club  

OT --- Villa Youth, C-Crew, Steamers and whoever else are/were all mindless bellends and the less spoken about that idiotic minority of fans the better. 

In a vague attempt to stay ON topic, I hope Benteke is working up a sweat in training, running around being chased by the rest of the squad chucking coppers at him chanting "you want a pay rise..... run bitch run. 

• Like 2

Just catching up on this. So he arrived and he's training with the first team. So he's continued to act quite well in all this, as has the club. Aside from the transfer request which some see as disrespectful, this is about as clean a getaway saga as you could want for your club

'Getaway' from spuds or to spuds? If you mean it clears the way for Benteke to leave, I suggest a bid is required first. Then it will be far from 'clean'.

'Getaway' from spuds or to spuds? If you mean it clears the way for Benteke to leave, I suggest a bid is required first. Then it will be far from 'clean'.

No, I mean he's been very well behaved and it's not caused as much damage as it could have

Has our deadline passed now?

No, it's end of the first week in August isn't it?

Well if I were a Villa player being a Villa fan with it (such as Gabby) I'd find it hard to act as though nothing happened.

To be honest, as much as Gabby obviously loves the club, I'd imagine if Spurs were offering 20 odd million for him and offering to triple his wages, he'd probably be making the move himself.

Exactly.  If spurs came in for any of our players they would be willing to make the move.

How do you know this exactly?  I'm pretty sure most of our players would stick around at Villa as they seem to  have all bought into what Lambert is trying to do.  

It is my opinion, spurs are pushing for a CL, they are a step up from us at present.  Do you really think players do not want to play CL or a team who have a chance of playing in it.  That they would not like a huge pay rise.  How do you know they have all brought into what Lambert is doing?. 

Because our players (apart from one) all seem to be renewing their contracts and publicly stating that they like what's happening at Villa.  They obviously have the belief that Villa are on the way back up and I'm pretty sure the majority of them who have been in English football for a while, know very well that Spurs are not a step up from Villa and are just as likely to be hitting the skids in a couple of years' time.

When Newcastle hit fifth last year did you think our players would be all off up there?

Because nobody else is in for them, talk about claret and blue specs.  what are they meant to say, well none of the top 4 are interested in me so I am going to sign a longer contract on more money but next year if a bigger club come in for me than I am going to kick up a fuss.  To say that spurs are not a step up from us at present and any of our player would not jump at a move to them is just deluded

Lay off the tabloids, mate, you are being brainwashed and falling into their short term, extremist way of thinking.  Believe it or not, some players can actually think for themselves and see a bigger picture and plan taking shape at Villa Park.  Let's see what happens in the next 12, 24, 36 months.

Brainwashed, yeah that must be it.  Sorry your right players dont really care about their careers or about playing for a team that is pushing for CL.  They are just happy to play for villa with the hope in 3 years we might be in a position to push for the top 4 if things go well.    So when we are going for the top 4 and can attract better players, lambert will say no I am going to stick with the players who got me here and you as a fan will be happy with that.  football careers are short, players want to play for the best team that they can and earn as much as possible. 

A lot of the old Steamers still about today.70 odd spent the weekend in Norwich when we played a couple of months ago on a stag weekend

C.Crew wrecked Brussels when we played there in 1982-As a result no Villa fans were allowed to enter Rotterdam until 4 hours before KO in the final

Please put up a warning that viewers may be exposed to more than they are expecting due to the nature of early 1980's shorts.

Edited by TreeVillan

Strangley quiet on Benteke. The evening's papers might come out with some odd stories mind.

Re: Villa Youth, Steamers etc, don't bother looking them up. The very fact that we're not very famous for fighting seperates us from the likes of the idiots in Small Heath, and long may it stay that way.

• Like 1

A lot of the old Steamers still about today.70 odd spent the weekend in Norwich when we played a couple of months ago on a stag weekend

C.Crew wrecked Brussels when we played there in 1982-As a result no Villa fans were allowed to enter Rotterdam until 4 hours before KO in the final

Please put up a warning that viewers may be exposed to more than they are expecting due to the nature of early 1980's shorts.

I was more concerned about the haircuts TBH

• Like 1

I was just watching a compilation video of Benteke on youtube and it just reminded me how **** good he is. If I were a manager of a team that needed a striker I wouldn't hesitate to pay 25m pounds for him. He really is something special. Levy really is an idiot if he's haggling hover a few million for him (good for us though!).

If we somehow manage to keep him for one more season I think we will be guaranteed to at least finish in the top 10, probably higher.

No, I mean he's been very well behaved and it's not caused as much damage as it could have
Cool. Agreed.

Does anyone consider the possibility this could end up like Barry's departure? All set for team A, bids don't match his value, stays for another year playing well, moves to team B instead. Our current advantage being that unlike GB, CB will have a full 2 years on left his contact next year so he won't be leaving for 33% less than his current value to us.

I think we will be guaranteed to at least finish in the top 10, probably higher.

How does one finish higher than the top  10? :lol:

:blush: Obviously I'm talking about us forming a superleague with the likes of Barca, Real Madrid and Man Utd. Come on keep up! :D

I meant that we will at least finish in 8th-10th but proably higher than that.

• Like 1

Cool. Agreed.

Does anyone consider the possibility this could end up like Barry's departure? All set for team A, bids don't match his value, stays for another year playing well, moves to team B instead. Our current advantage being that unlike GB, CB will have a full 2 years on left his contact next year so he won't be leaving for 33% less than his current value to us.

It might happen, but I still expect Spurs to bid...if he still stays the same after that then fair enough. He does need to watch his petulance, because if he gets a reputation it might effect his move after this one.

It might happen, but I still expect Spurs to bid...if he still stays the same after that then fair enough. He does need to watch his petulance, because if he gets a reputation it might effect his move after this one.

Oh I expect spuds still to bid alright. I seem to remember liverplop bidding for Barry, more than once, but he didn't end up there!

Â