Christian Benteke

Kwan

Reading through the lines I think  many on here are now resigned to losing Benteke, which is why there is now a lot of wishful thinking. Oh he won't do that well at Spurs etc. When if the truth be told he may even do better, for the simple fact that he will be getting service from better midfielders then we have. Anyway I'm off to enjoy the sun, hopefully by tonight we will know more.

Actually, after all the furore, I think £20m+ is probably ok.

He goes for a decent profit, having saved this club potential millions more with his goals and I can understand his desire for success.....maybe not the way he's gone about it, thats all. And, being brutally honest, I'd want him to go to Spuds over Liverpool all day long.

I'm more excited by how the cash is spent tbh.

Oh his day unplayable but that day wasn't there all the time.

I think there's a fair bit of romanticising about Benteke and don't get me wrong, i think he's great. However, if you actually break down his goal tally to tap ins and penalties, he didn't make such a huge contribution as people are stating and I feel like we're unfairly underrated our other players and their importance.

I'm expected to get torn apart for this, but I think he's slightly overrated by us lot because of select games in the last few months. He was anonymous for a few of the games in that run in as well. Even Sunderland he didn't really wake up in until the 2nd half when he had a tap in and a scuffed shot that Mignolet made an absolute hash off.

(please don't hurt me)

If i had posted the above i'd have been accused of all sorts on here.

'Romanticising' Benteke (which i agree with to a certain extent) comes from watching the absolute rubbish we've been watching prior to Benteke's arrival and the total lack of expectation surrounding the player as few, if any, actually knew who he was until he landed upon our Villa Shore.

We also did something that this club hasn't done since Ashley Young and looked with envy or indeed jealousy at other clubs who discovered rough cut diamonds and further rubbing our noses in it by paying a pittance for that jewel.

We discovered our very own rough diamond.

That diamond may shine brighter in our eyes than in any other due to the above reasons but sadly the sparkle has gone with the way in which he has treated those who have come to adore him and indeed the club who gave him the chance to shine in the first place.  

• Like 2

Actually, after all the furore, I think £20m+ is probably ok.

He goes for a decent profit, having saved this club potential millions more with his goals and I can understand his desire for success.....maybe not the way he's gone about it, thats all. And, being brutally honest, I'd want him to go to Spuds over Liverpool all day long.

I'm more excited by how the cash is spent tbh.

Agreed i just want him gone so we can restart the building process, prefferably we will have the team we want before start of the season

I know Benteke isn't flavour of the month at the moment, but I'm surprised about people deciding that because he wants to leave he isn't actually that good. Whatever else he may be Benteke is a top striker who will only get better with experience.

Agreed I think unfortunately lots of posters are trying to convince themselves that the loss of our best player of last season is not as bad as it really is. I'm not saying we cannot replace him but he is a hard act to follow and will only get better.

I know Benteke isn't flavour of the month at the moment, but I'm surprised about people deciding that because he wants to leave he isn't actually that good. Whatever else he may be Benteke is a top striker who will only get better with experience.

Agreed I think unfortunately lots of posters are trying to convince themselves that the loss of our best player of last season is not as bad as it really is. I'm not saying we cannot replace him but he is a hard act to follow and will only get better.

I can relate to what your saying but i think that IF Lambert gets the funds to replace we can we replace with 1-2 top players that can fill that void..but that said it doesn't always work that way :(

That being said the boy should have been given a new deal after that Liverpool game before Christmas, why are we always so slow to offer players deals? Had we gone down with him signing one and wasn't like he wouldn't be snapped up. 

Wow like everyone gets a pay rise after one good day at work!

What club in their right mind thinks 'Hey, player x has played really well today, let's offer him a new contract'?

In fairness it was far better than a good days work or a good performance it was a wow moment, where you thought, we've got a very very good player on our hands, granted it was very early into his deal but we had all after Christmas to get this sorted and we waited, the boy could have been huge for us next season.

At what stage were we ever in the need to rush this.  He has 3 years left on his contract and who wants a player involved in negotiations about his future mid way through a relegation battle!!!  Particularly when his all round play was one big reason why we stayed up.  If he had been in difficult or protracted negotiations over a new deal after xmas it could have affected his play.

i can't think of a player who was offered a new deal only 6 months into his first year with a club.  It also takes two to Tango and why would he have wanted to negotiate then.  He may well have made his mind up to go then anyway.

Sorry but i think your statement is a little ridiculous.

We were in a stage to rush this when it became clear the vultures were circling in my eyes, for what it's worth I think Barry moved on because of cash, say trophies all you like but his head got turned, and it's the most important thing for a lot of players today. I hear what you are saying but how many 20+ goal strikers are earning 20k a week in the Premiership? I've been saying the last few weeks this club has been quick to throw money at players who we are buying but a lot slower to reward the ones who do well here.

I can relate to what your saying but i think that IF Lambert gets the funds to replace we can we replace with 1-2 top players that can fill that void..but that said it doesn't always work that way :(

As fans it's natural to hope to sign "top players" but we have to keep reminding ourselves that we will no longer pay the wages that top players demand. Another punt on a "young and hungry striker with potential" is far more likely.

If we sell Benteke for big bucks I don't expect Lambert will get any more than he paid for CB to spend on a potential replacement.

As fans it's natural to hope to sign "top players" but we have to keep reminding ourselves that we will no longer pay the wages that top players demand. Another punt on a "young and hungry striker with potential" is far more likely.

If we sell Benteke for big bucks I don't expect Lambert will get any more than he paid for CB to spend on a potential replacement.

And this is what will annoy the hell out of me...Lambert should get at least the profit he makes on Bentakey to re-invest

If it's 20m we need to get Sigurdsson as well otherwise no deal.

I'd defo take this i'd take this now..give it me now

If we're going to take any player (and i emphasise player) in p/x then that player has to improve us in a position which is needed. For that reason i would also take Sigurdsson but i would want £25m on top of that.

That in itself opens up another question. If the player was available to us would you take Sigurdsson plus 25m, or 25m plus 20% sell on clause if it is indeed Spurs who are interested in Benteke?

Utterly ludicrous to give him away to a small club like Spurs for £20m. I'd love to play monopoly for real money against one or two of you. Park Lane for Old Kent Road? It's a deal!  :clap: 

Benteke will be worth £50 million next year. Accept nothing less than £30 million. I would only accept £25m + percentage of sell on fee.

• Like 4

If it's 20m we need to get Sigurdsson as well otherwise no deal.

I'd defo take this i'd take this now..give it me now

If we're going to take any player (and i emphasise player) in p/x then that player has to improve us in a position which is needed. For that reason i would also take Sigurdsson but i would want £25m on top of that.

That in itself opens up another question. If the player was available to us would you take Sigurdsson plus 25m, or 25m plus 20% sell on clause if it is indeed Spurs who are interested in Benteke?

Good question i think i'd prob take sigurdsson plus cash as i think the 20% sell on clause will mean diddly squat to us and will only go into Lerners pocket

Â