Christian Benteke

Kwan

"Don't hate the playa, hate the game."

That's how I look at it anyway.

Bit of a kick in the balls, this. Honestly thought he would've given us another season.

Unlike others though, if somehow he doesn't move on (i.e. no club meets our valuation of him), I wouldn't put him to rot in the reserves.

He's far too talented for that. I'd hope that he'd show some professionalism and give 100% on the pitch until we sell him next season. Wishful thinking perhaps.

• Like 1

Sure does put the state of football in perspective though. I'm guessing it's ignorant of me to suspect the agent and another team for rubbing Benteke in what to do. I'm guessing it'll be Chelsea turning the gears. Going to be interesting if he goes there considering Lukaku and Benteke will be there. Doubt they'll both start.

Thing is I have no doubt he'll do really well.

That being said wouldn't be surprised to see he not sold because no one offers enough. We've said we expect him to be a player for us next season so there's a chance.

Well tbh can't say I'm that surprised that he finally made his decision to leave, via transfer request. Regarding himself its probably a gamble to say the least, if he had stayed he would of been guaranteed first team football and if in form, a starting place at the 2014 WC. Now with Villa taking a strong stance (If we don't receive the offer we want, you're not going anywhere) it could be a problem for Mr Benteke regarding a WC starting place, even maybe a place.

Regarding Villa, I would rather we invest the monies we get for him (25-30m) instead of letting him rod in the reserves, even though I would like to see that, his wages certainly wouldn't make a big difference (20k) if we did. Would make sense if we did reinvest as with 25m-30m we could easily buy a decent replacement and a number 10 to play in the hole behind whoever we decide to buy. 

Replacements for Benteke, well that is an interesting question, would of said Bony but he is off to Swansea apparently, probably going be another unknown from Lambert's back pocket; wouldn't mind Ba plus 25+ from Chelsea for him.

Edited by Avflife

Having faith and fingers crossed that he would stay has led to disappointment and frustration.  My disappointment and frustration is not with Benteke as we have survived many disappointments such as Brian Little (twice: transfer and injury), Andy Gray, John Gidman and so on through to the present day.  My frustration and disappointment is knowing, as other posters have said, that the ‘project’ will be difficult to fulfill if every season or two our players leave. What happens if Helenius bangs in 20 next season, or Okore is the rock in defense we all hope he will be and Skys’ 4 lovers come knocking on the door.  How long before Lambert’s motivational phrase of “We go again” becomes thoughts of “Here we go again” and his head is turned towards a project that can be sustained and achieved. These are the questions I find myself asking and are the basis of my disappointment and frustration.

• Like 1

I think the club that tapped him up will show themselves over the next few days with a low bid

I think that club must have already bid/enquired, hence Benteke putting in the request. Us confirming that he put in the request and saying that we will sell only at the right price: 1) Could hopefully spark a bidding war and 2.) Signals us drawing a line in the sand like we did with Barry when Liverpool came calling. Can't pay what we want? Well jog on, because officially we own him for 3 more years.

Id love to let him rot in the reserves however 30 million is amazing. We could sign Bony Kiyotake a new CB and right back back up

Depth of our squad would be alot better if we sold him. I just hope its not to strengthen Tottenham. Chelsea we will never catch.. (probably never catch Tottenham) but why increase their chances.. Somehow they managed to keep Bale all the time. Ideally id like to see him abroad. Maybe offer him to Borrussia for 25 million. English clubs 30 million.

What happens if we resist and keep him here. Would he really kick up a fuss and not play with a world cup year ahead?

Edited by KSV

What terrible news to wake up to. Thought it was gonna be a great day after having what was probably the most awesome dream I've ever had.

I'm really confident that we'll end up the winners in this situation. I like that PL has said that our valuation has to be met within a certain timeframe otherwise he's staying. Gives us the time to get a replacement in early. If you really want him, buy him now and at our price. Which brings me to my next point. If Andy Carroll went for 35M after half a season and 10 goals, Benteke should go for at least that much after a full season and 23 goals. Anything less is unacceptable imo.

People need to stop trotting out the "If Andy Carroll is worth £35m then such and such a player is worth £50m" line.

Andy Carroll was never worth £35m. It was an insane transaction. Do you really think Faulkner is going to be on the phone to Chelsea saying "Well, Liverpool paid £35m for Carroll, we want £40m for Benteke"?

• Like 1

People need to stop trotting out the "If Andy Carroll is worth £35m then such and such a player is worth £50m" line.

Andy Carroll was never worth £35m. It was an insane transaction. Do you really think Faulkner is going to be on the phone to Chelsea saying "Well, Liverpool paid £35m for Carroll, we want £40m for Benteke"?

Why not? They paid what 50M? for Torres?

It's too bad this had to happen after Sunderland seem to have finished a deal for Jozy Altidore. I think he would have been a really solid replacement.

• Like 1

Why is it irrelevant? They themselves paid 50M for Fernando Torres so I doubt they'd scoff at such a transaction.

Â