Nicklas Helenius (AaB)

SikhInTrinity

Whats with all these 3 year contracts?

1 year to settle in, 1 good year and suddenly we have no choice but to sell.

I understand he could just as easily be crap and thus save us a lot of money on a 5 or 6 year contract, but on what is likely 20k a week if not less we would barely be losing a thing on him. 

Same goes for Baker and Weimann

I think it's a motivation tool also.

There's the incentive of a new deal and pay rise to play for.

• Like 1

Whats with all these 3 year contracts?

1 year to settle in, 1 good year and suddenly we have no choice but to sell.

I understand he could just as easily be crap and thus save us a lot of money on a 5 or 6 year contract, but on what is likely 20k a week if not less we would barely be losing a thing on him. 

Same goes for Baker and Weimann

Well there is a huge gap between the Premier League and the Danish league, so a 3 year contract for an unproven player from a measly league is not something to be opposed to. I'd rather give him a new contract next season or later instead of giving him a 5 year contract immediately. There are chances that he might never take this level so in the end short contracts are financially sound for a club like ours.

I was excited at us getting the deals done quickly at first but im starting to worry were doing too much too fast, 5 players in already none of them with any kind of experience at this sort of level..

I'm still excited for next season but im just worried it will be another case of taking 5-6 months to even remotely starting to resemble a team again..

Superb signing. I remember when I first saw the video when someone posted a possible replacement for Benteke, and I was like "if Benteke leaves we have to buy this guy". Excited to see what he can do.

One thing though, I watched the interview on avtv and he was mostly referring to the rest of the team from last season as "they" instead of "we", so that might be a little bit of club propaganda  ;) .

I was excited at us getting the deals done quickly at first but im starting to worry were doing too much too fast, 5 players in already none of them with any kind of experience at this sort of level..

I'm still excited for next season but im just worried it will be another case of taking 5-6 months to even remotely starting to resemble a team again..

Thankfully they have 3 months to 'gel' and get to know each other.

"In Gabby Agbonlahor and Andi Weimann, for example, we have good players who have great speed and energy and a real love for playing for Villa. You can see this...

...and you can also see the strength and quality of Christian Benteke".

Diplomatically put. :mellow:

Well, they did have to edit the original transcript a bit:

“In Gabby Agbonlahor and Andi Weimann, for example, we have good players who have great speed and energy and a real love for playing for Villa. You can see this and you can even sometimes detect a look of mild satisfaction on Christian Benteke’s face when the fans celebrate his goals, even though he would clearly rather be earning a lot of money playing for Arsenal also see the strength and quality of Christian Benteke.”

• Like 3

Congratulations on signing Helenius!

I really hope that Helenius in time are going to be a success at Villa. Helenius are a very talented striker, but keep in mind that he'll need time to adjust to Premier League.

It's very difficult moving directly from the danish Superliga to Premier League. As some of you have mentioned Helenius needs to pull on some more muscles and adapt to the pace of PL.

I'm really looking forward following Villa in the coming seasons.

Personally I think it's great that Aalborg are able selling a player to Aston Villa. However I'm concerned how AaB will perform without Helenius, as he scored 30% of Aalborgs goals in the last two seasons (MVP of the Superliga last two seasons). If combining goals/assists Helenius were involved in nearly 50% of Aalborgs goals last season.

That's why some AaB supporters really fears the coming season as there might not be money let to buy a decent replacement.

And fighting. Or do you already do that?

Tell you what, you do my fighting, I'll do your coke.

If you do his coke it'll be you he's fighting.

As long as I don't have to pay for the coke I'm all for that arrangement. Fighting is free.

I also have a niggling worry that we're bringing in too many players too soon, but only because I want us to still be excited about signings in July and August!

When it comes to the team gelling, I don't think we'll have the same problems we had last year.

At the start of last season we had no fewer than 5 players in the starting 11 that had never played in the Premier League: Bennett, Lowton, Vlaar, El Ahmadi & Benteke.

A few months later, Westwood had forced his way into the starting line-up, increasing the amount to 6.

Adding to that, Weimann, Clark and Baker battled to cement their first team places, and they (plus Guzan) all got extended runs in the first team, to the lengths that they had never had before. It all adds up, and it's clear to see why we struggled with very little experience throughout the season.

I would now hazard a guess that Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Westwood, Gabby & Weimann AT LEAST will all keep their starting places. Benteke too, if he isn't sold, and Delph's form last year would mean he keeps his place (in my eyes).

I can't see us having half a new starting 11 like last year.

Tonev, Bacuna & Helenius look like 'rotation' players to me.

Okore could go straight into the starting line-up, and possibly Luna (just because of how poor Bennett has been), but I don't see our starting 11 changing that much currently.

Of course, with Lambert's decision to rotate the team, we'll see new players make appearances or try to impress off the bench, but I think we'll still be a long way away from where we were last season, with regards to having a team featuring so many Prem-inexperienced players.