Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

I kinda hope we aren't in for this guy. Other thjan the low price\wages he doesn't seem to be anything we don't already have. Its perhaps an indication of how far Aston Villa have fallen that so many are hoping we sign a guy who isn't even a first team regular within the polish league. Seems like £2.5m down the pan to me. I don't see this happening.

I kinda hope we aren't in for this guy. Other thjan the low price\wages he doesn't seem to be anything we don't already have. Its perhaps an indication of how far Aston Villa have fallen that so many are hoping we sign a guy who isn't even a first team regular within the polish league. Seems like £2.5m down the pan to me. I don't see this happening.

Cheer up wontcha? The low price and wages are significant, especially if we can move N'Zogbia on. Zog offers very little except the occasional wonder goal, and the impression I get is that that describes Tonev on an average day.

I thought we were all delighted to finally be looking for bargains in the transfer market. In fact I'm amazed it's taken the club so long to figure out that if we compete with the Manchester and London clubs for signings we are doomed to sign the players who are second-best (or pay the best players wages we can't afford). Bargain hunting is the only way for Aston Villa until we're in the CL. So be patient for a year or two :)

Cheer up wontcha? The low price and wages are significant, especially if we can move N'Zogbia on. Zog offers very little except the occasional wonder goal, and the impression I get is that that describes Tonev on an average day.

I thought we were all delighted to finally be looking for bargains in the transfer market. In fact I'm amazed it's taken the club so long to figure out that if we compete with the Manchester and London clubs for signings we are doomed to sign the players who are second-best (or pay the best players wages we can't afford). Bargain hunting is the only way for Aston Villa until we're in the CL. So be patient for a year or two :)

Yep that seems the long and short of it. Signing an average players from Poland, doesn't seem like the way forward to me.

Yep that seems the long and short of it. Signing an average players from Poland, doesn't seem like the way forward to me.

I wonder what your initial thoughts were on Benteke?

I'm not saying Tonev will be as successful.....

... but I'm not willing to write him off because of where he plays his football or the fact that he is not linked with the top teams.

• Like 2

People were saying exactly the same when we got linked to Christian Benteke last summer.

C'mon, I didn't say he was an average player, you're putting words into my mouth. I said that on an average day he would be likely to offer little except wonder goals. This more-or-less describes N'Zogbia, who is on high wages. So the worst case seems to be that we'd be replacing like-for-like and saving a lot of money. Then there's the possibility that this is another bit of Lambert scouting genius, and he will surprise us as much as Benteke, Lowton and Westwood have. But you seem determined to be negative about it, so whatever really.

Anyone who doesn't want him is nuts.... If Lambert has identified that he needs a Am/Winger and Tonev fits the bill then we should back the Manager... he bought Tekkers, Westwood, Lowton, Sylla.. They have been pretty darn good, Bennett has potential I feel, Vlaar and El Ahmadi are experienced pros who will help the younger players!

Keep The Faith!

• Like 1

These players haven't yet benefitted from the advanced training that we have. Perhaps the scouts looked at him, saw great ability but too much small things which make him an average player. With better coaches and better training systems you can cut out those things and make him a good player. Scouting for new players isn't just a case of finding ones already playing well. When we signed Benteke he couldn't shoot; he had all the physical attributes but his technique was poor and he panicked. We've fixed that pretty quickly.

I have no idea how Tonev or Popov are going to do - but if our scouts have identified him then I'm not going to be put off by the reviews of fans from his previous club for this reason.

• Like 2

From the clips he does seem to have something about him, very quick and good technique. But you can tell what PL is doing, he is building a side full of energy that will keep running.

Yes I think you're right. I Think he is really trying to set up Villa similar to Dortmund. A team that works well together and run a hell of a lot more than the average team. And when they win the ball, they often do it high up in midfield when the opposition is trying to build up play and fast as **** counter attacks with 3-4 players.

From the clips he does seem to have something about him, very quick and good technique. But you can tell what PL is doing, he is building a side full of energy that will keep running.

Yep nothing wrong in that at all and over the last two or three seasons our energy levels have been found wanting especially in midfield. I would however also like to add to that the word quality and we will need more of that as well to push us on. Hopefully Lambert will built a side that has both. 

I'm baffled that some people are seemingly still writing players off because of where they're signed from.

Have Benteke and Sylla and Lowton and Westwood taught us nothing?

Good point but needs balancing when considering KEA, Vlaar, Bennett, Bowery, Dawkins have been a bit meh

Â