Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

Petrov on Tonev when we signed him:

"I think Villa fans have one exciting player on their hands. He doesn't have a dominant foot which is really interesting.

"He is the kind of player who can really make an impact in this young, exciting team. We spoke last night and he is really looking forward to it. He knows that it will be a challenge but he is ready for it."

well lets not forget that petrov was largely shite for his first 16 months here

Petrov on Tonev when we signed him:

"I think Villa fans have one exciting player on their hands. He doesn't have a dominant foot which is really interesting.

"He is the kind of player who can really make an impact in this young, exciting team. We spoke last night and he is really looking forward to it. He knows that it will be a challenge but he is ready for it."

well lets not forget that petrov was largely shite for his first 16 months here

But Petrov played really well on his debut, so you knew the talent was there. Still waiting for Tonev to show any.

• Like 1

How this guy has played so many minutes for us is a mystery. Hasn't looked close to getting a goal or assist.

Everton game ?

The guy has been predominantly gash, but people are forgetting he has done the occasional decent thing.

HH can you please shed some light on how this guy came to be a villa player, scouting wise? I just fail to see how someone so poor can get into a premier league squad. Surely it wasnt just stans recommendation that got him in.

THIS !!

Paul Lambert watched that youtube vid that most of this forum were jizzing over after he signed.

He's got an awful lot to learn about playing at this level. Can only assume (and hope) he's been getting a game because of our limited options and the plan was to use this season to get him accustomed to the change of pace, style etc. It's clearly too much for him at the minute if he were winning games we could possibly carry him and build his confidence but he needs some time out on loan or the reserves. At moment can't help thinking I'd rather see a youngster closer to the squad as when he has the ball he plays like a footballer on FIFA stuck on the shoot button.

I don't like to disparage players, especially ones early in their Villa career.  I generally lean towards being a "homer".  That said, I don't think there has been a more ineffective player who's got a more consistent run of games since I've watched the Villa (since 2004).  His decision-making is just shocking.  Hopefully, he'll improve, but what am I missing?  Why on earth would he be anywhere near the 1st team?

• Like 1

No where near prem standard. I had him in my predicted line up for this game as I thought he might show us what he was made of against lower league opposition, but he was shit yet again.

I wasn't at the game today, but friends that were said today was a improvement on previous performance's and he put in a real shift?

Â