Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

To me it seems like when there is an easy option, he purposely wants to make it difficult or try something spectacular.

The players clearly get frustrated with it but at the same time there were times where I think he played well, he ran the left channel well and his crossing was decent. 

He just needs to keep calm, its obvious that he wants to score a goal and he wants to impress but he needs to realise he could do that by playing the simple through balls and such. That shot he took where he could have passed to either Benteke or Kozak came from some tenacious closing down, but people will remember the poor shot rather than his hard work. 

The signs are there at least, but as everybody has said, he needs to be fined for shooting.

• Like 1

He got better as game went on. Takes a good run in the team for a player like him to start to show what hes got. I think he will turn out to be one of our best players. Big speak i know but i see something in him that u dont see all the time. He always wants the ball as well which is a really good sign

Very raw still. The game still moves too quickly for him and I'd keep him out on the wing to simplify things.

But one of our few players that can take on a man, beat him, and put in a cross.

And one of our few players that could put a cross too .. ^_^

I can laugh more now because we won.

That shithouse shot in the first half had me in bits!

You could see him lining it up, despite the options left and right. I'm thinking, right OK, fair enough, great position now, just hit the target, nice and crisp, knee over the ball...

He just rapes it into the Upper North :lol: Never any danger of it going near the goal. It's like he was trying to get it as high as he could.

• Like 1

His crossing was good, but he should be fined a week's wages every time he takes a shot.

How is he ever going to score the worldy that we all secretly hope is inside of him if he doesn't shoot? :D

I know the obvious thing to comment on was that atrocious shot, but am I the only one who noticed how much better he played after that? Several times I saw him pause briefly over a ball, obviously thinking about taking a shot, and then instead laying it off for a teammate -- at least one really intelligent ball played forward, a chance that our front three would have gobbled up last season. Can't remember whether it was Kozak or Benteke who missed it -- in fairness to them, they had probably just expected Tonev to shoot again and were slow to react.

I thought his crosses were great, problem was he was mostly going for the far post and Kozak and Benteke kept getting in each other's way at the near post. They're just not all used to each other yet. If we can string a few games together with the same group playing together, they should start clicking. We looked so much better when he went out left and we had a little width at last!

Yea i think i said it in one of the early pages of the thread that you wouldn't really mind him shooting a fair bit if they were on target or maybe even occasionally close but they are always so laughably high and wide. 

Actually quite surprised reading earlier according to espn hes hit 15 shots so far this season and hit the target with 5. Cant even recall him hitting the target tbh.

Despite being a bit frustrated with his shooting and some of his crosses, I'm going to make a bold statement that I think when we all look back in 10+ years time we'll all be saying how good this lad was for us and how we couldn't believe how shit N'Zogbia was in comparison and for a much higher transfer fee.

Really hope Lambert doesn't put Weimann in the side if it's at the expense of this lad, offers so much more as a winger.

(Still think Weimann's a good player, just as a striker, he just looks out of position and resultingly poor outwide)

I maanaged to wangle a corporate ticket yesterday and was told that Lambert really thinks he's going to be a top, top player... but he's too eager and nervous with it at the moment.

Perhaps a goal or a good performance will turn things for him.

He looks raw. Techincally a good player. Great pace and confidence.

Problem is his decision making.. too selfish.. he forces a shot when its not needed. If he took only natural shots where hes set up for it he might actually bury one.

He appears to be trying too hard to impress the management, team mates and fans - what I do like is his workrate, pace and willingness to take players on. He's still learning the language, the club and the league but doesn't look like he'll never work out in the Prem.

His shooting will improve too!!!!

I do have my hopes on that outrageous goal that will come. 30 m out and it goes flying in.

I see something there, looks more like a winger though. Still early but he had his best match from the start yesterday in my eyes. Ways to go of course

I can laugh more now because we won.

That shithouse shot in the first half had me in bits!

You could see him lining it up, despite the options left and right. I'm thinking, right OK, fair enough, great position now, just hit the target, nice and crisp, knee over the ball...

He just rapes it into the Upper North :lol: Never any danger of it going near the goal. It's like he was trying to get it as high as he could.

Exactly.

I almost expected Benteke to stop running because he knew this guy was going to unleish it anyways. :)

Â