Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

Bit early to write him off but I would not play him for next few games. 

Bacuna/wieman/albrighton are all in better form. 

Needs to stop going for the hollywood shots and put in a team performance. 

Wieman for example bar the city game hasnt been great but works hard for the team always

Think some people on here are just trolling.

Well ill be leaving my opinion there, said my piece. And when he wins young player of the year this or next season, then feel free to throw this in my face. But he will not.

And you've figured all that out from two club starts? tell me, why did you turn down the united job??

Don't you feel slightly embarrassed?? I take it you don't work in professional football?? and nope neither do I, but I kind of picked up a few things in football like a player might take longer than 2 starts to show what he's made of?

Troll

How many pages will this thread go before everybody comes to the conclusion he is rubbish.

Well, in theory however many pages are put into this thread over the space of the next year or so. Delph, Petrov, Downing, etc. were all terrible for Villa a lot longer than Tonev has been so far. Dismissing a player in his first season is madness, doing it after 2 starts for a cub, I don't know what to say.

Problem is, i cant see him getting too many chances, injuries permitting.

You haven't the slightest idea of how many chances he will get, my friend - injuries or otherwise.  

• Like 1

Stinks of either troll or idiot, I'm not sure which. How fans do the same things every year, get proven wrong every year, and don't learn to be a bit more patience astounds me. I really don't get it. Here is a fact: You can't judge any player based on one premier league start.

I also thought he looked much better against Spurs. He was terrible against Norwich and gave the ball away often, but no more than say Sylla did on Saturday! I'll support all the players at Villa, it doesn't matter who. 

One thing I have noticed is that Lambert, like Arsene Wenger, prefers to develop a player and coach them into a playing style rather than buy a finished product and slot them right in. Wenger has gone against that with Ozil this season but for the most part he buys young prospects and develops them. 

I think we will have to wait for a while until Tonev and Helenius etc have had some time training with the manager and the squad before we will see what Lambert saw in them.

Hi

I'm Polish guy who registered here to run with the news about Villa interest in Ivelin Popov some time back.

Today a thought - what's going on with Tonev, how is he getting on at Villa?

Never made a post about the guy before.

Read the topic and not surprised that he is unpredictable future. When heard the news that Villa want him I asked myslef a question: What do they see in him that I can't see? Anyway, I hope I was wrong and Villa scouts were right. Wishing the lad and Villa well.

Going to check Russian websites to see how is Ivelin Popov doing?

Hi

I'm Polish guy who registered here to run with the news about Villa interest in Ivelin Popov some time back.

Today a thought - what's going on with Tonev, how is he getting on at Villa?

Never made a post about the guy before.

Read the topic and not surprised that he is unpredictable future. When heard the news that Villa want him I asked myslef a question: What do they see in him that I can't see? Anyway, I hope I was wrong and Villa scouts were right. Wishing the lad and Villa well.

Going to check Russian websites to see how is Ivelin Popov doing?

Hang on, aren't you the geezer who invented the term "Atomic Strike"?

Either way, so far he's been more Fukushima than Hiroshima (or maybe that should be the other way around).

• Like 1

Is it that Lambert "prefers to develop a player rather than buying the finished product" or is it a lot to do with the fact that there isn't the funds there to buy a finished product..?

Is it that Lambert "prefers to develop a player rather than buying the finished product" or is it a lot to do with the fact that there isn't the funds there to buy a finished product..?

Way I see it is that "products" when "finished" end up "Good" or "Average". The good ones cost megabucks and go to CL clubs, the average ones cost big bucks and go to other clubs.

So if you're not a CL club, why not buy unfinished products for small bucks?

I think it's a lot to do with looking for a player with the right skillset and atitude and look to develop them from there. Tonev got quick feet, two footed, a hard shot, able to take a player on, he shows glimpses of being a good passer of the ball as well. However he's not using the tools at his disposal very well at the moment. If he can learn to do that though he might turn into a handful. His first game were he played he looked absolutely horrible, running with his head down, refusing to release the ball to team mates and shooting blasting the ball 5-10 away from goal each time. The next game he featured he did ok, passing more to his team mates and shooting far less and the shots he did shoot were close to target or on target. Going from horrible to ok is not bad progress in just two matches, so he's all ready learning. Which he needs to do quickly if he wants to break into the team this season.

Undoubtedly we can not afford the finished product when looking at the top footballers but even with a lower budget a manager still has a choice in buying a solid pro who is a bit of a journeyman whose best days are behind them or buying a young player who the manager takes an active roll in developing.

We have a squad of developing players purchased by the present manager and as we've seen with Benteke in particular that can pay off. However the main difficulty with that policy is that while your waiting for those other players to develop you will get inconsistencies which more often than not  cause your team to struggle which we've already seen.

We have gone too far in one direction without considering overall balance to the team and for Lambert's sake I hope that the majority of his purchases won't eventually be discarded because they're not good enough.

I think I am on fairly safe ground to predict that (should the players he has bought be sold) there will not be a single player he sells for less than the actual fee paid for them

• Like 2

Â