David Beckham Announces Retirement

Stevo985

One of my all time favourite players. As a boy I was a passionate England fan (as you are) and even then I could tell that it meant more to David Beckham than it did the rest of the team. I think his resilience and never beaten attitude are as great an asset as his footballing and athletic (!) ability. 

He seemed to carry England for many, many years despite the supposed talent of the rest of the squad.

• Like 2

Great ambassador, great pro, Brilliant PR but not a great footballer. He was in all honesty a 1 trick pony and it was a brilliant trick at that but he was by far the weakest player in that United midfield and no coincidence the 1st Fergie got rid off.

Legend? Really? This is a guy that practically ended his career to play in US when he was still playing at a decent level.  He was dreadful for England in 2002, 04 and 06 and seemed to have too much power over Sven that he was never dropped. 

Still cant believe people had him in Fergie greatest XI ahead of Ronaldo

Great ambassador, great pro, Brilliant PR but not a great footballer. He was in all honesty a 1 trick pony and it was a brilliant trick at that but he was by far the weakest player in that United midfield and no coincidence the 1st Fergie got rid off.

Limited?  Yeah, he was.  In terms of the list of talents he had.  But those talents were so valuable, and he was so excellent at them - that's what made him special.

Not so much a man who made the best of what he'd got as a man who used what he'd got to be the best.

Legend? Really? This is a guy that practically ended his career to play in US when he was still playing at a decent level.  He was dreadful for England in 2002, 04 and 06 and seemed to have too much power over Sven that he was never dropped. 

He was certainly famous in America even before he went to LA Galaxy as I was living over there in 2002 but he wasn't so much famous for his football but for is image. He wasn't a great footballer like Pele, Messi, Ronaldo, Cruyff. and he lived off that freekick for many years

Limited?  Yeah, he was.  In terms of the list of talents he had.  But those talents were so valuable, and he was so excellent at them - that's what made him special.

Not so much a man who made the best of what he'd got as a man who used what he'd got to be the best.

wouldnt disagree with that. He has made a brillliant career out of it

You are entitled to your opinion, but I am calling you on the claims that he was dreadful between 2002 and 2006. Rooney had a stellar Euro 2004, but Beckham was England's best player for so many games during that period that it was almost embarrassing for everybody else. 

• Like 3

He was a quality player, top 20 in the premier league history? His work rate, awareness, passing and set pieces were top draw.  You dont get bought by Real Madrid in their Galactico era if your not a top player.

It was ashame he moves to US after Madrid, would have liked to have seen him play in europe for a few seasons rather than out of the limelight (footballingly) in the US.

Probably my biggest non Villa favourite. One of the best right foot in the world ever. Well, for as long as I can remember. He might've been a one trick pony when it came to skills, but he always worked very hard and was a leader in that way. And it wasn't just the had a great right foot, he had the vision and intelligence to use it too. I know, some might laugh at the wrod intelligence used when talking about Beckham, but he had a very good football intelligence, and I also believe he's not as stupid as many wants to think, really.

He was the Stanley Matthews of his era. A one-trick pony, maybe, but at that one trick he was the best in the world.

And a decent guy for someone who is a very rich and idolised celeb. Somebody on the radio last night pointed out that when there was a campaign a few years ago to get Premiership footballers to donate a week's wages to nurses, only 16 agreed to do it; by contrast, Beckham donated ALL his PSG wages to a Paris childrens' home.

Probably got us the Olympics as well.

• Like 1

Â